The David Stokes Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Not this guy ....

[​IMG]

... nor this guy ...

[​IMG]

... but this guy ...

[​IMG]

Lest you doubters forget he was looking a lot better last year before he got injured.

This year David Stokes kick ass and take names.

2. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :D

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I thought his contribution to the team was significantly improved over the second half of the season.

;)

Oh come on, there's a winking face in there. I'm his biggest fan when it comes to optimism for next year. Lord knows with his size and physical presence he could go a long way towards helping United if he ever figures out the whole soccer/defense part.

4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Previously dubbed "the worst DC United defender ever" by a source who will remain unnamed. Not an official source mind you, just someone I won't name.

He is not, most likely. Wonder who would be? Where's the offseason worst XI thread?

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait wait, my bad, this is the *appreciation* thread.

He did improve. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings this season.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have nuthin' but love for David Stokes (or almost anyone in that nice-ass jersey he has on above). He's a good guy, even if he is from Dumfries. And I'm not saying he had anything to do with the train derailment there this morning, it's just a coincidence.
    He's another guy I always thought was better suited to a 4-4-2 (please don't do that with this thread, you know who you are), but has really been improving in the 3-5-2 over the last year or three. I had heard he was not gonna be back this year, glad he seems to be with us still.

He was very gracious to us at the Barra preseason party a couple years back, took a nice picture with my girlfirend.

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We coulda used him vs. Chicago, his crosses to Boswell are like Preki's feints to his left foot; predictable, not very pretty, but nigh unstoppable.

Yes, I will milk this as long as possible.

8. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    I'll admit to liking David very much. In fact right now at work I have a picture of myself, him and Susan together from 2004. There is also a picture of Dema and I, just Dema and then a picture of the team holding the '04 cup.

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    As long as he learns to tell a certain keeper.

"If you are going to come off your line, fvcking tell someone!"

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have faith in the kid. Here's to hoping for a solid '06 for Stokes.

11. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoker will put all doubts to rest in '06 when he brings da pain. Remeber, you heard it here first.

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    he's a standard RB on my FIFA06 DC team :D

13. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I hope that those that are fans of Stokes, don't criticize Nowak if he doesn't get results. Even when he plays his best(and he did play better last year), Stokes tends to be a result killer. I've seen a lot of criticizers of Nowak on these boards. As I said originally, I just hope that people posting in this thread of the virtues of David Stokes aren't among them.

14. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Here's what I don't get: when you look at the kid and how he plays, you'd think more of a central defender. He's not a particularly great man-marker as you'd like in a left or right back, but on the other hand, he has imposing size and decent speed. Does anyone else think this way...?

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put him up front.

His tendency to wander all over the field, disastrous for a defender, will confuse the opposition when he plays up top.

16. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I don't know that I'm a fan of Stokes, but he has undeniable physical gifts. Even though he seems best suited for a central defender, he doesn't seem all that interested in defending. He seems better going forward. IOW, I could see him as a d-mid where he could really do some damage. Of course, he'd have to beat Carroll and Simms for the spot, and I just don't see that happening soon.

17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Doug!!!!!!! Looking for Mr. Stokes ranking appoligist!!!! Paging Doug!!!!!

:D

18. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Dude, it's 2006... No one uses pagers any more.... :p

But my blackberry did start ringin' like a mutha f'----... :D

It took less than a week, the first week of 2006 for those Stokes doubters to rise again... surprise, surprise... :mad: I appreciate Stokesy.. and soon you all will too... (evil laugh)

Stokes will step up to the challenge when given a chance in 06... He will show how much he has improved in the reserve league in 06, and will become a solid back up to Erpen, Boswell, Prideux and Namoff and if any of them happen to go down (knock on wood) Then he will step in, keep the defense stable if not make it better.. and if he does.. Don't be surprise if Prediux becomes a back up.

I honestly beleive this, go ahead and make your jokes now.. Laugh now.. I'll laugh later.. :D

Stokes Army lives!

19. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Eighteen posts before Dougg came in...are you still hung over from NYE? ;)

20. xboxmaddplaya

xboxmaddplaya New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    Stokes i think will do great next year, he just needs more playing time, like everyone else on the bench. What happened to John Wilson, did he get cut? I havn't heard anything about him in a while.

21. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe in Stokesy! But I have to agree, I think he would be much better at a d-mid then on our back line. too bad we have so much depth in our midfield.

22. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once Stokesie captures the mental side of the game, he should be awesome. Until then, I'm afraid it's just potential.

GM

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do not doubt the power of the Stokes!

24. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Stokes get some time in the DMid spot when Carroll is away, which might be often.
    With Nowak committed to the 3-5-2, Stokes is kinda set up to fail when stuck out on the end.
    He likes to get forward and can make some really good passes into the attack. But with only 3 in the back, that becomes prohibitively dangerous or to be reserved for desperation time.

[​IMG]
    Stokes rules!

25. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    I am shocked that this thread hasn't been shut down yet because of lack of interest.