The David Brooks non-Fail Thread: Or, Conservatism is Out of Balance

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dr. Wankler, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Today's Column

Please forgive the extended quote. There's a lot more still in the link that is worth looking at.

When I joined the staff of National Review as a lowly associate in 1984, the magazine, and the conservative movement itself, was an uncomfortable fusion of two different mentalities.
    On the one side, there were the economic conservatives...
    <snip>
    But there was another sort of conservative, who would be less familiar now. This was the traditional conservative, intellectual heir to Edmund Burke, Russell Kirk, Clinton Rossiter and Catholic social teaching. This sort of conservative didn’t see society as a battleground between government and the private sector....
    <snip>
    It’s not so much that today’s Republican politicians reject traditional, one-nation conservatism. They don’t even know it exists. There are few people on the conservative side who’d be willing to raise taxes on the affluent to fund mobility programs for the working class. There are very few willing to use government to actively intervene in chaotic neighborhoods, even when 40 percent of American kids are born out of wedlock. There are very few Republicans who protest against a House Republican budget proposal that cuts domestic discretionary spending to absurdly low levels.

The results have been unfortunate. Since they no longer speak in the language of social order, Republicans have very little to offer the less-educated half of this country. Republicans have very little to say to Hispanic voters, who often come from cultures that place high value on communal solidarity.

Republicans repeat formulas — government support equals dependency — that make sense according to free-market ideology, but oversimplify the real world. Republicans like Romney often rely on an economic language that seems corporate and alien to people who do not define themselves in economic terms. No wonder Romney has trouble relating.

Some people blame bad campaign managers for Romney’s underperforming campaign, but the problem is deeper. Conservatism has lost the balance between economic and traditional conservatism. The Republican Party has abandoned half of its intellectual ammunition. It appeals to people as potential business owners, but not as parents, neighbors and citizens.​

tomwilhelm, minerva and Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here's the Russell Kirk link that Brooks mentions.

http://www.kirkcenter.org/index.php/detail/ten-conservative-principles/

1:the conservative believes that there exists an enduring moral order.
    2: the conservative adheres to custom, convention, and continuity.
    3: conservatives believe in what may be called the principle of prescription.
    4: conservatives are guided by their principle of prudence.
    5: conservatives pay attention to the principle of variety.
    6: conservatives are chastened by their principle of imperfectability.
    7: conservatives are persuaded that freedom and property are closely linked.
    8:conservatives uphold voluntary community, quite as they oppose involuntary collectivism.
    9: the conservative perceives the need for prudent restraints upon power and upon human passions
    10:Tenth, the thinking conservative understands that permanence and change must be recognized and reconciled in a vigorous society. ​

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Along with many voters, Brooks gave up on Republicans 2012 this month. He had been bending over backwards to be supportive. But Mitt & co. pushed too far. So now Brooks is in the mode of "my guys are broken, they need to be fixed."

I would add that Brooks's distinction between social & economic conservatives is useful.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    No, sorry, this is a fail too.

Brooks (all too conveniently) overlooks the reactionary branch of the GOP -- the old Birchers, the Tea Partiers, the Tenthers and so on. Those certainly aren't traditionalists, and they're not economic conservatives either. They're a resentful and basically paranoid branch of the GOP. Some reactionaries may be Randians, but Randians really aren't economic conservatives in the way Brooks is thinking either. Brooks is thinking mostly of business and supply-siders. And for that matter he also ignores the the religious zealots in the GOP.

So, frankly, Brooks is pretty much ignoring the actual population of the GOP (which is increasingly a combination of reactionaries and religious zealots) and imagining instead a non-existent GOP that could be populated by traditionalists and business conservatives. It's that imaginary GOP that he thinks is out of balance. Well, fine -- his imaginary party is out of balance. Great.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK how about the "Not a Complete Fail" thread.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think it really is a complete fail. This is an ostrich of a Brooks column -- he's got his head firmly buried in the sand.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's our Mr. Brooks alright.

That said, at the least he deserves some credit for bravery. Or foolishness. He's now officially, completely, and unalterable a RINO and that's a lonely place to be. Ask Jon Huntsman.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not going to defend Brooks too much, but that reactionary paranoid wing, while always there, was rarely at the center of the party, and rarely for very long. The party of Goldwater, for instance, still had room for Rockafeller and my old Congressman Bob Michel (who was hounded to high hell by Newt, not coincidently). Not so any more.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's getting to be a not-so-lonely place.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't Brooks written this same basic column before?

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Like our movie industry, the quality has gone downhill for Republican candidates. Richard Cohen compared the shit stains that the Republicans put up now - failed or insignificant Congressmen, pizza company CEOs, Governors of Texas (haha!), etc. versus who Reagan had to defeat:

In 1980, Ronald Reagan won the Republican nomination. He beat a future President, George H.W. Bush, two future Senate majority leaders, Howard Baker and Bob Dole, and two lesser-known congressmen.

This year Mitt Romney won the GOP nomination. He beat a radio host, a disgraced former House speaker, a defeated Senate candidate, a former appointee of the Obama administration, a tongue-tied Texas governor, a religious zealot who happens to serve in the House of Representatives, and a cranky libertarian doctor. Where did all the talent go?

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/gop-stuck-mitt-article-1.1167099#ixzz27c6l7OYw

American Brummie repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One of those lesser known congressmen was my Illinois homey John Anderson, who was a formidible guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Anderson

Had some misfires in his career, but his ability to change his mind is not something that would serve him well in his party today.

13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit that I thought the article presented an interesting viewpoint until I read your comments (probably because I fall under the economic conservatives at one time). Fail may be a little harse, but it was definately incomplete in large part for the areas that you mentioned. If he choose to ignore those areas, then, yes, it was a complete fail.

I used to be a Republican about 15-20 years ago. With the rise of religious zealots, I left and never looked back...

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a popular two term governor

15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, at this rate Gary might beat Mitt in some of the northeastern states or Hawaii.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think the GOP has a short bench problem with the wonks and the agency ranks. The State Department spent the Bush years driving away anyone who wasn't a neocon, while Justice was hiring unqualified candidates from Regent and Liberty Universities.

To me, that's a pretty good reason to vote against any Republican candidate - I have doubts about their ability to attract and place talented people.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is it a reason to vote FOR democrats?

18. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I think the type of political appointees that would be put in positions of authority in scientific and health agencies like the FDA, CDC, NIH, NOAA, etc. is sufficient reason to vote for democrats.

chad repped this.
  19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had a nickel for every time that's been said...

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  20. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Keeping the Republicans out of the executive branch is a good reason to vote Democratic. Voting for Gary Johnson won't do it.

Cynicism aside, for a policy wonk, working in the executive is pretty close to the holy grail, and there's no indication the Democrats require some sort of loyalty oath or that they're hiring graduates out of dodgy grad schools, and Obama's made a point of appointing Republicans to cabinet positions (yes, I know, Bush appointed Norman Mineta, but Justice is way, way bigger than Transportation).

It also helps that Democratics want the executive branch to, you know, do its job.

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I am reading it these are both reasons to vote against the GOP, not for the democrats. And yes, there is a difference.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    But not a practical difference.

23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    But ultimately, the idea is not to get the GOP out of the White House. It's to get more smart, policy-minded people working in the executive branch, and that's more likely to happen with a Democratic president.

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you, perhaps. For someone like myself that voted for Obama in 2008 there is practical difference.

All I am noting is that this tenor is a far cry from four years ago

25. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know it isn't, but whatever let's you take terrorist money and sleep at night.

Oh, look, I said something over-the-top and not true.