The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    touché but perhaps you should learn the definition of "grifter."

HeadSpun repped this.
  2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Did you ever wonder if that might be because kids at universities have vacated the campus and went to online learning? The same is true all schools, elementary, secondary, and otherwise.

Absolutely I thought of this. But, many states did not shut their schools down right away, including NYC. Yet, we never heard of any issue with a spread at a school. I suspect that it is more related to their youth, as we hear very little about young people getting this virus.

3. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Perhaps. Does the webster dictionary definition count?
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grift
    to obtain (money or property) illicitly (as in a confidence game)

https://politicaldictionary.com/words/grifter/
    A grifter is a con artist, someone who obtains money by swindling or tricking others. In politics, the word refers to people who use the political process as a way to enrich themselves.

4. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    WOW what a clouded and ignorant post that isn't based in Reality.

5. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fair enough. I do suspect, though, that there have been a good deal of young people, more than is being reported, that have contracted the virus. Young people should be able to combat the virus better than older people. Many have probably had it and showed negligible symptoms. This is another reason that testing for the antibody is crucial. There is no doubt that COVID-19 is crueler toward those with comorbidities. It's also a given that older people have more comorbidities. That said, did you happen to hear about the university students from Texas that went to Cabo while the virus was raging? Something like 40ish of them ended up testing positive out of 70 or so.

The other consideration of the younger population being infected is them passing it on to others that may not be as suited to defend themselves from the virus. While there may not have been problems at the schools, we really don't have a good understanding of if the kids passed it on to others at home or elsewhere.

HeadSpun, Sledhead and ping repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. But, how far are you willing to go with making hard choices where the correct responses aren't clear? There may be a good case that prime contributors to our being in this pickle are that (1) we have far too many people on our planet and (2) we're far too interconnected as humans -- which would suggest that we ultimately could save millions and even billions of lives by cutting down our birth rate greatly and moving away from world travel and a global economy.

Yes, there are trade offs in terms of lives saved and lost when considering staying sequestered vs opening up economic activity. But the current coronavirus version isn't a unique kind of event that never has happened before and never will happen again. It just happens to have occurred with today's human population, international travel, and global economy, which made it ripe for causing the current situation. And, because of those factors, it no doubt will happen over and over in the future, most likely with increased frequency absent changes far more significant than simply opening up economic activity. When the discussion goes in that direction, you will get to see lots of pontification.

ping repped this.
  7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. But, how far are you willing to go with making hard choices where the correct responses aren't clear? There may be a good case that prime contributors to our being in this pickle are that (1) we have far too many people on our planet and (2) we're far too interconnected as humans -- which would suggest that we ultimately could save millions and even billions of lives by cutting down our birth rate greatly and moving away from world travel and a global economy.

Yes, there are trade offs in terms of lives saved and lost when considering staying sequestered vs opening up economic activity. But the current coronavirus version isn't a unique kind of event that never has happened before and never will happen again. It just happens to have occurred with today's human population, international travel, and global economy, which made it ripe for causing the current situation. And, because of those factors, it no doubt will happen over and over in the future, most likely with increased frequency absent changes far more significant than simply opening up economic activity. When the discussion goes in that direction, you will get to see lots of pontification.

sockerdad06 repped this.
  8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
  9. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    Received a call from my local MLS team and they are tenatively scheduled to get their season going again May 13. Now that's a great move! Get that economy rolling again.

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    More than 1000 Americans are dying every day right now from covid. 39 elderly American's just died in one care center in Richmond,VA with 49 more infected and in trouble. This is happening all over the country. There is no vaccine and no effective treatment and it does kill people in every demographic. The only thing we can do is stop the spread since we don't test enough to even know who has it. It's called containment or mitigation and that's our only tool right now.

For someone to say at this point to 'get that economy rolling again' and celebrate that my local MLS team is going to get their season going again...is just straight up idiotic.

I try to avoid mixing soccer and politics almost at all costs but how brainwashed are Americans these days? And many soccer fans too. I'm actually embarrassed a bit. I used to think that people said stupid things just to provoke others and get a reaction from them. But one thing the trump era has taught us all is that even seemingly smart looking people can be fooled into believing complete bullsh**. And then actually repeat and defend it. America is in a sad place.

Thank you to some of the folks combating the idiocy on this forum, in your community, and coming out of fox/trump tv. This stuff is not about taxes or gun rights or immigration policy but a medical emergency and how we can survive it. Some of you need to be saved from yourselves. Seriously, do not visit your elderly family unless to check that they are being properly cared for.

I've said enough and I'm out for a while. Wish you all the very best.

HeadSpun and ntxsage repped this.
  11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That will be great if it happens but it's overly optimistic.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - an arbitrary date is not going to determine when there is a sense of normalcy. The determining factor will be the virus itself. If we get back to things too soon all of this social distancing, isolation, etc, will all be for naught and we will be much worse off than we are now and that includes the economy.

HeadSpun repped this.
  12. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    I love people who have to resort to name calling because someone has a differing opinion or take on something oh and Yes, I am celebrating that the MLS may be opening their season soon. The glass is half full Eddie K. By the way why don't you take a look at Austria, and think of America. Austria is going to start opening up small businesses soon. Do your research and enjoy your time away from the forum.

13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Not based on reality? You seem to be quite unfamiliar with this president. I suggested what I felt safe saying Trump aimed to do. Headline from today's Guardian:

Coronavirus US live: Trump wants to reopen America by May despite expert concerns

HeadSpun repped this.
  14. BreakfastBlend

BreakfastBlend Red Card

Ajax
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    Well that will be interesting.

15. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I support the quarantines. I warned about the virus earlier in the year. I bought masks, gloves, and other supplies in January when I saw China welding apartments shut. My family thought I was nuts. My surgeon friend told me to take off my tin foil hat. I even went back and forth with a few people on here urging everyone to stay at home.

My point with the recent posts that show contrary views is that I MAY BE WRONG. I may believe I'm being smart and safe and helping the world and actually be contributing to policies that kill more people. That is a sobering thing to ponder. I don't know and neither does anyone else at this point.

Here is a prime example:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...shutdown-could-kill-coronavirus-experts-warn/
    Economic shutdown could kill more than coronavirus, experts warn

This article doesn't point to economists or libertarians or trump followers. The article lists scientists who are very concerned about economic shutdowns and the deaths they cause.

Professor François Balloux, chair in computational biology at University College, London said that the Imperial modelling did not take into account the social and economic consequences of the severe restrictions that have been imposed on the day-to-day lives of many people in the UK - and the rest of Europe.

There is a strong correlation between life expectancy and the economy, he said.

Dr Bharat Pankhania, senior clinical lecturer at the University of Exeter, said it would be crucial to monitor the effect of economic losses on death rates.

“The economic impact is huge and in itself will result in lives lost"

This concept is why I posited the "save grandma vs kill poor people" counter-example.

And here is the tougher part. The doctor in the article notes "However, he said it would be hard to identify deaths associated with economic losses because they would occur more gradually."

Economic shutdowns cause deaths. There is no debate with that statement. The big question is..... What if we are actually killing more people with extreme measures? That is a legitimate question to be asked. I don't have the answer. I do know that asking questions like this are vitally important for the world. We are all stuck in limbo. The only thing we really know is that we need more data. Unfortunately waiting until you have data is often way too late and can cause more deaths.

I hope you all are well. Sorry for some snarky remarks here and there. Generally they are intended to be light-hearted though I know typed words don't convey those intentions. I appreciate all the challenging replies.

I look forward to reading more of all of your thoughts.

blissett repped this.
  16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Ping, that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I have also seen people post about their cancer surgery or treatment being postponed because the hospital needs to save beds for CV patients. To me that is incredulous.

ping repped this.
  17. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Here is something similar but along the lines of actual treatment. I've read and seen a lot of reports about how the world needs more ventilators. I'm sure most have seen similar things. Then this article comes across the AP. Maybe the answer isn't more ventilators???

https://apnews.com/8ccd325c2be9bf45...rBTrpAidVFENmRz0Z_LQQde4kTIalOI-EfbXN5Z1W3dYY
    Some doctors moving away from ventilators for virus patients
    As health officials around the world push to get more ventilators to treat coronavirus patients, some doctors are moving away from using the breathing machines when they can.

The reason: Some hospitals have reported unusually high death rates for coronavirus patients on ventilators, and some doctors worry that the machines could be harming certain patients.

The evolving treatments highlight the fact that doctors are still learning the best way to manage a virus that emerged only months ago.

Generally speaking, 40% to 50% of patients with severe respiratory distress die while on ventilators, experts say. But 80% or more of coronavirus patients placed on the machines in New York City have died, state and city officials say.

Higher-than-normal death rates also have been reported elsewhere in the U.S., said Dr. Albert Rizzo, the American Lung Association’s chief medical officer.

Similar reports have emerged from China and the United Kingdom. One U.K. report put the figure at 66%. A very small study in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the disease first emerged, said 86% died.

18. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    That is a False Headline and you know it...If you are in charge of college athletes, you need to be more informed and not post things that are false

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    How is that a false headline? He absolutely said that. He also previously said he wanted it open by Easter.

HeadSpun repped this.
  20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then there is the even longer term -- Getting back to business as usual will cause deaths, apart from the coronavirus. And over the very long term, if it is business as usual it probably will cause a number of deaths beyond anything we are talking about now regardless of which way we go now. Perhaps it is time to open up our collective mind and ask where in this world we are going and what can we do to improve the opportunity for a healthy future for our species. Maybe the improvement needs to be something other than business as usual.

That would not necessarily mean not initially opening up business as usual. But to go to that based on a conclusion it would mean killing fewer people over the short term is not good enough thinking. We need to put what we are experiencing in a larger and longer term context.

HeadSpun and ping repped this.
  21. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Can you expand on this? I'm assuming you mean the possibility of another more deadly contagion or something like that in the future? If that is the case, the decisions become exponentially more difficult to determine. If you meant something else I look forward to your reply.

22. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Back to soccer:
    Seems like teams reliant on foreign players who aren’t currently in the country can’t assume they’ll be back in time for season, even a delayed season, that is if there’s one at all.

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking about issues such as climate change, the US economy being primarily consumption based, the reliance of international movement and shipping on fossil fuels, a rapidly increasing world human population, and so on -- in other words, business as usual having potentially very negative effects on the long-term sustainabililty of life at least in major portions of our planet. These are apart from potential future pandemics, although they may contribute to their likelihood.

Lately, I have been thinking I might be happier knowing less -- too many dark thoughts about the future.

HeadSpun and ping repped this.
  24. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Never left soccer. Why can't those "foreign players" come back? Why will the season be delayed? Why might there not be one?

The virus and the season are well established as intertwined at this point. Hence the title of this thread and even the challenge you note regarding "foreign" players.

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least some foreign players already are in the US. For the Thorns, Carpenter and Rodriguez are in Portland. For the Aussies, I am guessing that all of them on NWSL rosters are in the US. That seems likely for Central and South American players and Mexican players. The same for Canadians.

A good question might be about the status of negotiations teams were having to bring in other foreign nationals. I believe the Thorns were in negotiations with two, and I have wondered about how the virus might be affecting those negotiations.