The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My kid doesn't play, but I'm not sending him this fall. Though I am the only person I know who is not sending his kids.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right 6 conference games, plus the conference tournament. Plus whatever non-conference games the teams schedule.

3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Six conference games? Does that mean the conference is starting play later? Seems a rather weird decision.

4. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, then No. This reduces the amount of travel. That has financial benefits and potential health benefits.

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    What a waste of a year of eligibility. I would redshirt or transfer. Let's see if those schools restrict the same for football. Somehow I doubt it

ACrom repped this.
  6. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    They can still play a full number of games. They just don’t have as many conference games so they will have to fill the schedule with more non conference games

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. It will be up to the schools to decide how many games to try to schedule to fill the gaps there will be in a number of conferences. Some coaches, however, are under restrictions as to travel and numbers of contests, for financial reasons. There still is a lot of moving around that is going to occur before the dust settles and we can see what the season will look like. And, it will look different for some teams than for others.

FYI, Division I Football Championship Subdivision schools play, at most, 13 regular season games. Soccer can play 20 games (not counting conference tournaments); and DI women's teams play, on average, 17.7 regular season games (not counting conference tournaments).

Val1 repped this.
  8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am aware of the football game count but my point was that I doubt they lessen their number of games. And, as for being able to find another 14 out of conference games in their general area to fill their schedules at this late stage is nearly impossible. Those players are getting a raw deal.

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're missing something, or at least it appears that way. Take Middle Tennessee as an example since they published their schedule before CUSA shifted into two 7-team divisions. They ordinarily would have played 10 conference regular season games. Now, they are down to 6. The schedule they published includes the 10 they had been going to play, plus 9 non-conference games. So, now they are down to 15 games. If they want to get back to 19, they will need to add 4 additional non-conference games, not 14.

Or, am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Oh ok that clears it up. I thought they literally lost half of their schedule. Obviously I am not up to speed on how that conference schedules their games. I do not live in that part of the country. Thank you.

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  12. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    Most of the kids are using soccer to get a cheap education. They won't go on to play pro so why would they sit out? Sitting out sets you back athletically. Transferring may mean losing credits and might add an extra year to their bachelors degree.

The players that I know that want to go pro can't wait to finish and move on and make some money and play with better players and not have to worry about academics.

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some numbers that I will update periodically.

Through 6/12:

Number of teams posting schedules on line: 39

Average number of scheduled games: 17.3 (excludes conference tournament games).

Long term average number of games played per season, all teams: 17.2 (excludes conference tournament games).

[Note: "Long term" means over the last 7 years. I'm using those years as a reference point, since 2013 was the first year following completion of a series of major conference re-alignments. Once we know what all the conferences will do with their conference tournaments, I'll include those games in the numbers.]
    Split between conference and non-conference games: 54.3% conference/45.7% non-conference

Long-term split: 53.6% conference/46.4% non-conference
    Split between "in area" and "out of area": 85.7% in area/14.3% out of area

Long-term split: 81.9% in area/18.1% out of area
    Comments:

1. This is a small sample (39 teams) and I don't think it is a representative sample yet. It is low on Power 5 teams and especially low on teams from the top mid-majors.

2. I expect the average number of games per team to come down some, as I know some teams that have not yet posted schedules are under orders to limit their numbers of games. Nevertheless, it is possible it will not come down a whole lot. It's too early to tell.

3. It is possible that the proportion of in-conference games will be smaller than in the past. This would be due to some of the conferences, in particular those with large geographic footprints, moving for one year to multiple divisions and as a result playing fewer in-conference games. Whether the in-conference proportion decreases will depend in part on whether the divisions play single or double round robins.

4. The in area/out of area split is something to watch. So far, the numbers are indicating that the west coast teams, in particular, may be more isolated than usual from the rest of the country, and they already are relatively isloated. Again, however, this could change.

5. The number of games per team, the in conference/out of conference split, and the in area/out of area split all relate to how usable the RPI will be. My current guess, subject to the qualification about the data sample being small and likely not representative, is that the RPI will work to some extent but may have even more trouble than usual ranking teams from one area in relation to teams from other areas.​

L'orange and Val1 repped this.
  14. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’ve heard there may be some new legislation coming out this week that will allow college soccer coaches to begin working with their athletes this month. Does anyone have any more information on this?

15. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I’ve heard July 13th, but that may be for football. I do expect NCAA to allow coaches to have some interaction with players in July, but it will be on a school by school basis as to what people choose to do.

16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think ENCL is planning to play in less than 2 months. They are training now. Wonder if colleges will follow up.

17. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Aug 1 is a target date out there for many youth events. Jeff Cup in Richmond, VA is rescheduled to that weekend and Surf Cup in San Diego is the 2nd August weekend for girls. You can only assume less teams will be traveling and attending these events for sure but they will be important. Colleges and High Schools starting to train earlier in August may become a concern and overlap somewhat. Some ID camps could be taking place those weekends as well as club events and HS Soccer in some places.

So, going from no youth soccer events to possibly everything starting back at once!

ping and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    My daughters NLC division consists of teams from Michigan (1), Nebraska (1), Illinois (2), and Missouri (3). That means no home games for anyone and destination weekends for all contests. I am doubtful that ends up happening, and think the National League will be scrambling to group teams together regardless of division, to minimize travel. TBD I guess, but I do have to say it was good to see the kids back on the field training last week, even if it was "social distanced".

ping repped this.
  19. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NJIT moving from Atlantic Sun to America East. Robert Morris moving from Northeast to Horizon. Both effective for this season. And, Howard may be doing something, since it appears they are not playing a Southwestern AC schedule. I'm posting this on this thread, as I think it's possible that our CV season has resulted in, or at least accelerated, these changes; and it's unusual to see changes announced this short a time before a new season begins. (And yes, Robert Morris' average travel distance is less for Horizon than for Northeast.)

ping repped this.
  20. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Howard might be making the move to the NEC

21. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Just signed my first communicable disease waiver for my son to participate in a summer league. I can only assume these will be the norm for club, high school, and college athletics moving forward.

ping repped this.
  22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Another dose of virus opinion. From NYT. In case the link doesn’t work, the final point is below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/opinion/coronavirus-college-safe.html

My pessimistic prediction is that the college and university reopening strategies under consideration will work for a few weeks before their effectiveness fizzles out. By then, many students will have become cavalier about wearing masks and sanitizing their hands. They will ignore social distancing guidelines when they want to hug old friends they run into on the way to class. They will venture out of their “families” and begin partying in their hallways with classmates from other clusters, and soon after, with those who live on other floors, in other dorms, or off campus. They will get drunk and hang out and hook up with people they don’t know well. And infections on campus — not only among students, but among the adults who come into contact with them — will begin to increase.

At that point, college administrators will find themselves in a very dicey situation, with few good options.

I look forward to a time when we are able to return to campus and in-person teaching. But a thorough discussion of whether, when and how we reopen our colleges and universities must be informed by what developmental science has taught us about how adolescents and young adults think. As someone who is well-versed in this literature, I will ask to teach remotely for the time being.

Laurence Steinberg is a professor of psychology at Temple University and the author of “Age of Opportunity: Lessons From the New Science of Adolescence.”

23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    My daughter is scheduled to start her freshman year of college this fall. The school is considering various health options--but all envision the freshmen being on campus. However, the school is also apparently giving professors the option of teaching remotely if they are concerned about contracting the virus--meaning students could get to campus only to learn that they'll be having some/many online courses. This is a non-starter for us. You can't bring students to school and then tell them to sit in their dorm rooms and take classes online. I mean, you can, I suppose--but my daughter does not want to do that and isn't going to do it. And she's not going to start college online at home either. She'll have take a gap year instead. It's all frustrating and annoying as the students have little to worry about but I suppose some old teachers with existing health issues might--and that is going to muck up everything, I'm afraid.

24. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Just make it to November guys. All of these so called problems will magically disappear after the election is over. Happens every 4 years

sockerdad06 and Mojo45 repped this.
  25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    probably not in relation to COVID. The rest of the world is reacting to the pandemic as well and I don’t think that’s got to do with Donald trump being re elected

HeadSpun, ACrom and ytrs repped this.