Rumor: The Coming <soft> Rebrand

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jasper_Black, Jul 23, 2018.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think it would be a frivolous copyright case. But there are some pretty ligitious people who might think differently.

2. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    there is a high school in michigan that someone i ran with went to. the high school was bad axe hs (in bad axe, mi) and their mascot is the hatchets. i thought that was so cool.

https://hatchetathletics.bigteams.com/

3. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    To this day I still don’t understand the point of a partial rebrand (where you keep the name).

harrylee773 repped this.
  4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Just really curious. FC is not soccer it is a football club. Who the hell plays football in Chicago or in the USA for that matter? Not the MLS. It ain’t MLF ffs

5. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Don’t worry, I’m sure one day MLS will change its name to the JPMorgan Chase American Premier League and all FCs will be well.

bunge, wolvesfirehope and TyrusRose repped this.
  6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My favorite Michigan high school team is the Watersmeet Nimrods.

LIZZIE, xtomx, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  7. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. At that point, it’s just a logo/uniform change, which teams have been doing forever.

8. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Go back to the original cross logo.

If fans from other cities are bemoaning it’s demise, you know it’s good.

And go back to the original colors.

The changes made were done by a deranged owner who hated his team’s fans and thought he knew better than anyone and we’ve seen how that turned out.

xtomx, lethargytartare, LIZZIE and 2 others repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That solution is so simple, so elegant, so "cost-effective" it might just work!

Hell, they still have a back supply of the "old gear," based on a quick check of the website.

It would be the "New Coke" of MLS.

krolpolski, wolvesfirehope and bunge repped this.
  10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still partial to what this guy is doing. He updated some of his ideas from 2018 into some redesigns for 2020. I still loved his idea of a Sting-inspired alternate kit, which wasn't part of this update.

Not the biggest fan of the Whitecaps copy, but that could be changed pretty easily. With the city flag, a light blue change kit seems like an obvious option.

https://enriquealvarado.com/blog/chicago-fire-rebrand

aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy. New owner and new stadium in a city that you could walk around in wearing fire stuff and
    Terribly so maybe a rebrand was in order. Honestly I'd love to do an impromptu survey of people near Soldier Field and ask them if they've ever heard of the fire

12. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    I think if you keep the Fire name, you should just go back to the old logo. It fit the name and fans liked it. Nobody was sitting around thinking, “Boy, I love the Fire name, but I hate that Florian Cross logo!”

There may have been a contingent of non-fans who thought, “Pffff, the Fiyuuur! Such a cheesy name! They should give the team a “real” / “authentic” name like Chicago FC, Chicago United FC, etc. Then maybe I could be bothered to care about this Mickey Mouse League. Now time to get up at 6 AM to go watch some footy with the lads at the local pub on the north side of Chicago!”

The largest contingent though is, “The name and logo are fine I guess. I went back to a game years ago after I got some discounted tickets on Groupon; it was ok, I guess. Haven’t heard about them in years. Are they still around / any good?”

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I’ve always loved you.

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed 100%

There is one poster here who does not like it. He has been mistaken for a Chicago Firefighter, apparently.

lethargytartare and aetraxx7 repped this.
  15. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine that would be an issue considering that both the Fire and Timbers have trademarked similar crossed secondary logos already. I mean, the Fire could just use this immediately if they wanted to as they already own it!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

wolvesfirehope repped this.
  16. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of people on these boards and reddit (including myself) have had that happen. And as I've said before, if we're going to say 'a minor league, singular noun name that gets confused for other stuff a lot is the name we're running with' then we should absolutely have the cross as our logo, it's the only one that could make sense. The biggest issue I have is trying to keep the name AND pretend that there's any other logo that makes sense. Well, that and changing the kits- I am honestly more attached to the design element of a white hoop on the front of the primary jersey than I ever was to the name or logo.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Harry, you were the Fire fan I was referring to in my post. [emoji6]
    I remember you saying that but didn't want to call you out, in case you didn't want to discuss it.

harrylee773 repped this.
  18. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, it's fine, typical offseason chatter and it's not like I'm the only one it's happened to before. Appreciate the sentiment, though.

It also gave me an opportunity to point out that I'm fine with it as the logo for team named Chicago Fire, just feel (especially after this abysmal rebrand attempt) that we could do better across the board if that was something the team was looking to accomplish. I still have plenty of $$$ invested in crap with the old logo that them not attempting to rebrand at all would've suited me just fine, and no matter what they decide to do with the name, logo, and jerseys in the future I'm pretty sure I'll still cheer for any MLS team that reps Chicago, so it's really just a question of 'when will I get a chance to stupidly spend more money on an actual authentic jersey again and can it please be soon' more than anything else.

19. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    To be fair that has happened to me. I was in Texas at the time so not surprising given that barely anyone in the city knows who the Fire are let alone around the country.

20. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Happened to me in Sarasota in a barbecue shack. But then I got a chance to explain and promote my club.

GHjelm, lethargytartare and xtomx repped this.
  21. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's happened to me where I live too, just outside of Ames, Iowa. I have a fire beanie that I wear in the winter that has been mistaken for firefighter gear. That is despite being red with a decent sized adidas logo.

22. Andy B

Andy B New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    It happened to me in the check out line at Binny's last week. The cashier gave me 10% for being a first responder.

SixKick, GHjelm, lethargytartare and 6 others repped this.
  23. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    In a humiliating moment while wearing a knock off Nowak jersey waiting for the El to Soldier Field for a Fire game, someone mistook me for Alexi Lalas. So don’t give me no BS about how terrible it is to be mistaken for a ********ing fireman. I was called Lalas! You got nothing on me.

krolpolski, SixKick, GHjelm and 12 others repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That is quite the revelation!
    Condolences.

It will also come back to haunt you.

Whenever we are all allowed to see each other again "in person" and you piss someone off (not that THAT could ever happen!), expect to be called "Lalas"! ;)

bunge repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did you accept it?