The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It might.

Except Jamaica is effectively recruiting Jamaican-English dual nationals, and I really don't think El Salvador can keep up with that if that is effective. Which, the Jamaican Federation might screw it up, but there's a lot of talent there. Curacao and Suriname have similar angles to put them in the mix.

So you've got Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Jamaica likely ahead of El Salvador on what I would call structural advantages.

So yeah, there's a shot. But I would not put them in the next four, and I don't know that they have inherent edges against Curacao, Guatemala, Haiti, or Suriname. T&T was boxing well above it's weight; they may disappear.

All in all, maybe a 5% chance at 2026 even with 6.5 bids?

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    For fun, here's an attempt to collect some names of possible recruiting interest for final-round CONCACAF teams that aren't the U.S. or Mexico, including a name of U.S. interest for each one. I'm not an expert on this stuff and would appreciate better info from people who know more...

Canada
    We've talked about Canada a lot and maybe don't need to belabor it. Apart from Tomori (who is also eligible for Nigeria as noted) and Akinola, who might be their main targets, if any? Maybe a guy like part-time St. Pauli player (and Wolfsburg "property") Omar Marmoush, a '99 who would need to switch from Egypt? Dominik Yankov seems to have picked Bulgaria; Daniel Jebbison looks a tad young for 2022, but who knows.

Costa Rica
    I don't quickly see many recruitable players that jump off the page as potentially eligible, whether American or otherwise, who aren't already in their pool and might have the chops. Anybody know of some?

I see that there's a Costa Rica-born '00 named Joshua Canales at Queretaro who has represented Honduras, but I have no idea whether either program sees him as a senior candidate. There haven't been many battles for players between the U.S. and CRC.

El Salvador
    Brayan Gil is maybe an interesting one. He's an '01 attacker, Colombia-born but naturalized, whose father, Cristian, had a long professional career. Brayan is with first-division Colombian club Alianza Petrolera and, as far as I can see, isn't cap-tied to anyone at any level, though apparently he previously had the eye of Colombia's U20s. De Los Cobos also was reportedly interested. He had a strong season a few years back for FAS that got him a loan to Belgium that, obviously, didn't lead to a permanent move.

Are there any "major" Salvadoran-American guys whose names aren't already in the mix?

Honduras
    Honduras seems kind of like Costa Rica -- a lot of its top guys seem to already be in the program. Do they have any guys eligible who might have real shots for 2022? Maybe KHF? What's Danny Acosta up to? I'm probably missing something.

Jamaica
    Jamaica is clearly pushing hard with both 2022 and 2026 in mind. One name that has been reported as of interest but not yet called in is Everton's '96 Mason Holgate. Isaac Holden, the '95 at Newcastle, is also apparently in the mix. This is gonna be an interesting program to watch -- and guys with profiles like those may not leave many minutes for US castoffs, although you need depth too...

Would Sean Johnson be Jamaica's #1 if he was still with them? Blake is obviously good, but maybe it would be close or close-ish, and certainly a boost in terms of depth and competition. (Also, Blake is 30? Where does the time go...) They recently picked up an English GK named Barnes who, however, doesn't seem to have done much professionally at high levels yet.

Panama
    A program I know little about. There's an '04 in Everton's system named Thierry Small who is apparently English/Jamaican/Panamanian, and an '98 with Anathorsis Famagusta named Pavlos Correa who is apparently Panamaian/Cypriot -- and has represented the latter country at YNT level.

3. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Danny Acosta going to Honduras

Alex Roldan to El Salvador

BostonRed repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haiti is unfortunate that so much of their diaspora is in the US instead of in Western European countries with much better per capita player production, like many of their Caribbean neighbors.

Thundering165 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He started college pretty late. I mean, Philadelphia drafted both Zac MacMath (2011) and Blake (2014) after three years of college soccer. Despite being taken three years earlier, MacMath is actually the younger of the two. (I've always found that mildly interesting.)

Segueing back to El Salvador, when World Cup qualifying starts in September, it's entirely possible El Salvador has more players on the field who were raised in the US than the US does.

If the USMNT starts Brooks (Germany), Robinson and Musah (England), Dest (Netherlands) and Siebatcheu (France) and El Salvador starts Eriq Zavaleta, Josh Perez, Gerson Mayen, Alex Roldan, Walmer Martinez, Joaquin Rivas, Pablo Punyed, Dustin Corea, Amando Moreno and Tomas Romero, it could happen.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ayo Akinola is on Canada's preliminary roster and not the USMNT's.
    That one seems done as well................

eliwood repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #157 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    Looking at the U.S. GC preliminary roster, the main notes of interest seem to be:
    • Several guys with different levels of interest from Mexico (Amaya, Araujo, Gomez, Pepi)
    • I don't really know what to make of the Italy and German stuff for Busio and Che, respectively, but anyway here they are
    • Flach presumably wasn't a serious German candidate or he wouldn't be in in MLS in the first place, but this obviously shows that he's somewhere in the U.S. pool now -- maybe you put him in the Perea category of guys who just played their cards really well by coming here (though he doesn't have to file a switch like Perea did)
    • Moore is obviously fighting for a place in the U.S. depth chart, but he's an example of a guy who T&T may have at least temporarily "lost" because their WC campaign is over (and they may not even make it into the GC proper)
    • Steven Goff said today that, according to DCU, Nyeman is not a citizen and may not be one in time for the GC. I can't honestly say I see the point of including him on a list like his if he's not eligible -- if you want to tell a guy you like him, just tell him, tell his agent, tell the press, invite him to train, send him presents ,etc. -- but I guess that's the way the game works these days
    • Kevin Paredes is apparently eligible for the DR, which seems to be trying to boost its program through scouting the U.S.
    • I sort of guess that Rubin is in the Moore category -- with no World Cup to play for with Guatemala, might as well bet on yourself getting back into the U.S. mix
    There are others, but these seem like the most significant storylines, setting aside guys on other teams' lists.

8. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    It's odd, he has a better chance at CF minutes with the US versus Jonathan David and Cyle Larin

9. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. We are going to play mostly 4 3 3 long term so that leaves just one striker spot. Canada may play a lot with 2 strikers based on the roster. Larin and David would be the top choice but then it's just Cavallini who is close to 30 as a backup.

I've also never seen anything about European interest in Akinola, which might be telling. He has less potential than someone like Dike or Sargent.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not sure what the source of the confusion was, but anyway...

11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Jebbison is on Canada's provisional GC roster. So maybe he's not too young!

Panama's includes Pablo Correa, the "Pavlos" I mentioned in the post above.

Of course, Acosta is back on a Honduras list. Will he ever actually suit up for them?

The Canadian-Mexican at Arsenal mentioned earlier in this thread is on Canada's list.

Zendejas is on Mexico's, along with ... some other guys.

I'm sure there is other stuff worth noting but these jumped out at me.

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if either side has interest, but if I were a Guatemala fan I would be totally depressed about the idea of Aaron Herrera being permanently cap-tied to the USMNT in a B-team Gold Cup given that he's unlikely to play much of a long-term role for the US.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It sounds like there's been some degree of back-and-forth and, at least according to this article, Olympic qualifying threw an at-least temporary monkey wrench in the process.

https://futbolcentroamerica.com/not...esentar-a-la-Azul-y-Blanco-20210503-0008.html

Of course, Guatemala getting knocked out of WCQ by Curacao (on what looks like a single goal scored? But I'm not 100% sure about that) can't have helped. Neither can the fact that Guatemala is still trying to get into that B-team Gold Cup. This is a player who wants to be in a Top 5 league...

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We remember last year when Chile was actively recruiting Sebastian Soto. They (ranked 17) did end up finding an English-born striker with a Chilean mother. Peru (ranked 27) brought in a striker who was born & raised in Italy who has a Peruvian mother.

Those are the kinds of countries we never thought would run out of talent, or at least never have to leave South America to find quality eligible players.

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The other thing that must be going on is that you gotta think every fanbase expects some degree of global recruiting, or at least lip service to it. Are there any that don't? I could see that being the case ("We play our game our way etc.") but surely there won't be many holdouts, if any, before long.

16. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I was going to comment that the landscape has changed and now recruiting is a normal accepted part of global soccer from both the player and the federations perspective. It also seems to happen at a younger age where the player has more of their prime years to contribute internationally.

Soccer going through their world is flat shift.

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Guatemala could be a pretty good decent team if you add Alex Roldan (now with rumors of going to El Salvador), Rubio Rubin and Aaron Herrera.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are still some "purists" out there. Mexican fans give the US crap for "non-US raised" players not being "real" Americans. Mexico doesn't do a lot of recruiting outside the US, though they do bring in naturalized players who have been playing in Liga MX (see Rogelio Funes-Mori).

Some of that is that average Mexicans don't seem to be moving outside of North America. It's very rare to see a youth player called in for Mexico (men or women) who is outside the US or Mexico. I'm noticed the one UXX girl called in from Arsenal (the one in the UK).

But the pushback appears to be more from certain fanbases rather than the federation. We even have a little of that in the US. You're right that federations had better be doing it. And once the non-local population gets overwhelmed, then you'll possibly have some pushback. Other than Qatar on the men's side, I can only think of women's NTs -- Mexico, Philippines, Jamaica -- all of which have drawn from their US-based diaspora.

19. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get off topic but isn't that one of Marcelo Flores' sisters? Even then they're from North America technincally, furthering your not moving outside of North America point.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's the one,. Interestingly, they both were born in Canada (rare for Mexicans).

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Based on some cursory research, it seems like Haiti has some interesting players in Europe that would probably strengthen their program -- but to interest them, they may need to either get some breaks on the field (they really weren't that far from the final round of CONCACAF qualifying this time around and they breezed through the previous stage without giving up a goal) and/or generally pick up some more "gettable" players first.

A guy like Jean-Kévin Duverne, to pick one example at semi-random, might've been tempted if they'd advanced. You could certainly see him being a target ahead of 2026. Or perhaps someone like Delcroix if his Belgium career doesn't progress.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sorta the challenge for all of the Caribbean.
    If they could ever get over the hump, they'd possibly be able to take advantage of an impressive overseas dual-national pool. Dual-nats in Euro 2020.
    [​IMG]

23. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Countries like St Kitts though are never going to be in the mix for players like Marcus Rashford who was born in England to parents that were born in England, but it does show that almost every player at this point in time has multi-nationalities.

It is more can these countries get players like Ivan Toney who is still in his prime to give up his dream of playing for England to play for a country where he has likely never been in order to definitely have an International Career. Also to do so while in prime and not kick can down road until they are 31.

Then if they get them to commit can they keep them. Pretty easy to get Timothy Chandleritis when you have no real connection to a country, traveling on long-flights to play for a federation with limited resources. Easy to just want to focus on your career at Newcastle or wherever.

largegarlic repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was interesting that there was a Mexican born & raised.plsyer on Peru's squad in Copa America last night. Peruvian mother. Late bloomer who didn't break out until the pandemic... at age 26 or so. Was mostly in 2nd tier until then.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe not.
    But we've seen the improvement from Curacao now that they're taking a little more advantage of their Dutch diaspora. They also have a head coach that players are interested in working with. They just played a VERY tight series with Panama in which they barely lost out on a chance to make the "Ocho." Get over that hump and play for a World Cup chance? All of a sudden the diaspora starts coming to you.

But as you say, its very hard getting over that hump.