The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You still want every eligible player to want to wear the colors so you have a shot to choose from the best available, whoever they are, whenever they're ready. I haven't run the numbers, but I have the sense that pre-emptively telling an entire group of people it's probably not a big deal if they don't want to play for the U.S. might not help accomplish that.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh..............the USMNT and USYNT would never say that.
    But just like the big Euro nations, we won't be bothered.

Note the response from England fans about the loss of Musah. A collective "so what."
    The same as when they lost out on Owen Otasowie, Antonee Robinson, Cameron Carter-Vickers, etc. etc.
    They're not bothered.

I refuse to buy into the fact that I should be worried about any dual-national at this point.
    We're developing awesome depth in our program. Do I want to keep as many players in the program as possible? Yes. Of course.

Then again, I don't even have Musah in my Best XI for the U23s, much less the full USMNT.
    If Musah had committed to England, that would have rolled off my back too.
    I refuse to buy into #dualnationalpanic anymore. :)

-----------------Sargent-----------
    Pulisic--------Reyna-------Weah
    -------Adams-----McKennie---
    Robinson-McKenzie-Richards-Dest
    ----------------Marcinkowski--------------

Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I don't disagree with any of this, and thanks for some of the storytelling in there -- great point about Tejano culture.

My commentary was not necessarily concern ... just analysis. I'm not much of one for dual national panic. At the end of the day, while you can recruit, etc., there's a high level that's not controllable here. If a player wants to play for us, great. If they don't, I am not going to worry about it.

Part of that is that a single player rarely makes a material difference. Part of that is simply that you want players who are engaged and invested in the team's success. There will be enough talent out there in the long run, and if a player wants to play for another team, it simply is something that is.

I'll focus on our players and how we play the best.

That's not to say we shouldn't recruit, or build a culture that pulls from dual nationals at all. It's just that I'm not going to treat individual decisions as nearly as important as the larger whole.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If you were talking about your lack of concern about losing specific players or your unwillingness to "panic" about all players generally, fair enough.

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That coach was with Gregg in Columbus prior to the US gig

6. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hopefully this summer gives the US teams plenty of opportunity to cast a wide net. Nations League, WC Qualifying, Gold Cup, Friendlies, Olympics (hopefully) U-20 and U-17 plus a full summer of ID camps all the way down to U-14. That's 150+ players in all probability, plus the younger youth teams. Of course Mexico is going to have the same chances but we've got to have camps to offer spots and this should be our opportunity to enrich those ties to possible dual Nats like Pierie, and young standouts like Gomez and Leone.

Bring in as many as you can. There's going to be a ton of chances to cap everyone we want.

Sonogo, Balogun, and Pierie are my top three most wanted now. I think Dike and Soto are in. I'm not sure Mighten is going to leave the England youth setup yet but I'd definitely offer him a spot somewhere. Gold Cup seems like a prime tournament to give the regulars a rest and cap whomever is willing to go.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  8. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I really like that the players seem to be taking a lot of personal responsibility and ownership in representing the program. Speaks to both a good culture and their general optimism about our future prospects.

SCSAutism, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't want to just be part of it and be in a closed shop with no competition. they believe in themselves and want to invite other great players to the party so the whole thing gets better.

SCSAutism, Winoman and USSoccerNova repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This for me (worth reading the story, about Nicholas Cardona, anyway) helps put some of the Puerto Rico stuff in context:

Cardona will play in World Cup qualifying matches, which begin March 24 against Saint Kitts and Nevis. Puerto Rico is in Group F of the CONCACAF tournament alongside Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, the Bahamas and Saint Kitts and Nevis. A win in their group would set them up to play another group winner with a chance to advance to play with Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico and the United States in a tournament that begins in September and ends in March, 2022.​

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-s...0210317-4xpykfgjazdcthqjg34zj4h4ae-story.html

What happens to this new energy around PR's program if they don't win this group? I have no idea, but we'll get a sense of it later this month when PR plays T&T for the first time -- four days after they open with St. Kitts.

largegarlic, Winoman and jeff_adams repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got a little unlucky when T&T was able to get a last minute waiver of US Covid-19 restrictions. T&T had no idea they wouldn't be able to bring in their Euro-based players & their Olympic federation stepped in to get the waiver. The restrictions had been in place since January, but T&T is gonna T&T.

Winoman and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Meanwhile, in Jamaica, they have a bye to the final round of CONCACAF qualification, and are themselves recruiting hard.

http://jamaica-star.com/article/sports/20210315/rangers-striker-commits-reggae-boyz

On paper you will have 5 or 6 teams competing for 2 or 3 places including the playoff spot, and that seems like a pretty decent bet if you're a good player whose original choice isn't gonna happen. Make the final 8 and you have a strong pitch heading into 2026, too.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I was impressed with Jamaica, but I think there's a pretty good chance their FA takes all the money from CONCACAF into personal accounts and fails to pay any of these guys.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the US need to bring back the give the prospects a cool car under the table (like Eric Dickerson at SMU where he showed up with a Firebird?). Show these other countries that this is an area we know how to cheat better than anyone else!

theboogeyman repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Unless I missed something, American '04 GK Damian Alguera DNP for El Salvador in U23 qualifying and remains un-cap-tied to either nation. (Though some other guys, not particularly near the U.S. picture, did officially switch or receive meaningful caps.)

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I believe you are right but I think that Hugo Perez will soon invite him and a few other US dual nationals to a Central American Championship Tournament which will cap tie the participants. I thought I heard it will take place in late May.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    T&T apparently made a late and unsuccessful push for a bunch of recruits (American and otherwise) before losing and getting knocked out of 2022 qualifying by ... the Bahamas.

They could still make the Gold Cup. But this illustrates theory challenge of the "we'll just pipe up castoff Americans" plan -- I might be cool with signing up to lose to Mexico or the U.S. or pretty much any country with a league I might like a job in, but probably less so to get bounced by the Bahamas. Maybe they figure it out in time for 2026.

Elsewhere, Guatemala -- which made a Hex and beat the U.S. in a WCQ as recently as 2016 -- got bounced by Curacao, which is coached by Guus Hiddink and has been building a roster strengthened without the help of American players. (And El Salvador was threatened by Montserrat.) Just shows you how many wild cards there are in this game.

Pegasus, Athlone and BostonRed repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador is making a big push for dual citizen Yanks on their squad with USMNT's Hugo Perez leading the way. They have recently gotten one-time switches from Eriq Zavaleta & Josh Perez and announced that Amando Moreno (who is also provisionally cap-tied to the US) is on the path to make the switch as well. They've always had a few Yanks on the squad, but now they are being more aggressive.

xbhaskarx and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yep. They obviously have a lot to work with in the U.S. and Perez seems like the right guy for the job. But if they didn't get out of their WCQ group, would they be able to keep the momentum going? Maybe, but it seems less certain. (They are in the Gold Cup already, however.)

This next mini-round of CONCACAF qualifying is massive. Theoretically, Panama, Canada and El Salvador could all be done!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Second_Round

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True... staying in WCQ keeps you in the running (though I'm not sure ES got anyone that they wouldn't have gotten eventually). Where it matters more is with a marginal US player like Rubio Rubin, who was considering Guatemala. They are out now, so he might take the rumored US Gold Cup invitation. He might be able to play himself into US WCQ consideration if he can continue to score in MLS.

You'll notice that Edison Azcona didn't play in WCQs for Dominican Republic. He's provisionally cap-tied to DR, but might hold out a while for the US if he continues to develop.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My suspicion is that for some of these players, it's not just about picking between a slim/no chance of playing for the U.S. or whoever and a "safe spot" on Team X. It's also about whether they stand any chance of playing in meaningful games for Team X at all.

If you have strong personal reasons for wanting to represent that country, that's one thing. But if not, and the offer is to play for a coach you've never heard of, against a tiny island that might end up beating you, in a game nobody you know will ever see, you might just decide not to bother putting the mileage on your body or your spirit. Especially, if, say, your day job is MLS starter.

Conversely, let's say T&T ended up advancing. Do a bunch of guys think "Hmm, I'd get to play in some pretty big games for that team...." I think they might. Or if, say, the guy offering the callup is Guus Hiddink.

BostonRed repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Just a reminder that today is a potentially huge day for the near-term fortunes of some CONCACAF teams as they try to progress to the final round of 2022 qualifying.

Panama has a win and a one-goal advantage heading into a game at Curacao.

Canada has a win and a one-goal advantage ahead of a "home" (in Illinois) game against Haiti.

El Salvador is bringing a win and a four-goal advantage into a home game against St. Kitt's & Nevis.

Will there be any surprises? Dunno, but will sure be interesting to watch...