The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Not thread eligible, but a one time mainstay on this board and with the USYNT, Rubio Rubin is now with Guatemala. He made 7 appearances with the USMNT, but none since 2018.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'd totally missed it but apparently it was official as of mid-May:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/guatema...makes-one-time-switch-from-usmnt-to-guatemala

Not surprising, of course. He had a small window to try to get into the U.S. 2022 picture but obviously it was a reach. Good luck to him -- in a parallel universe he's battling guys like Morris, Arriola, etc., for those "die for the team" wing minutes.

Winoman, TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

gomichigan24, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Gomez isn't on the Mexico U-20 WCQ roster due to a foot injury, but this from his uncle suggests he's leaning towards Mexico, if not already made a decision.

SCSAutism and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #655 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    Not that it's the only recruiting storyline going these days (does Ordaz end up on the El Salvador qualifying roster, for example) but can we more or less agree that, however consequential the Jonathan Gomez saga may turn out to be, it's nice, now that the rosters have been announced and he isn't on any of them, that we can take a break from it and focus on some soccer games for a while?

Directionally, I guess we can see where this is probably heading. Tea leaves aside, while I agree with those who said it was silly to make too much of the preliminary rosters, Gomez being on the list for that pre-tournament Mexico camp on the heels of appearing for their MNT after appearing for ours clearly had at least some meaning.

Whatever now happens, I'm personally inclined to move on until he either shows up on a competitive roster for either country at any level, or writes a Slonina-or-Araujo-like message to fans...

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Robinson has the US spot sewn up for the next few years and Mexico has no one comparable. It's a very simple choice for JoGo and other aspects are very secondary.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Robinson is 25 years in two months and didn’t even play in a top league last season. He doesn’t have a starting spot sewn up for more than the next couple of months. He’s not like a Pulisic or Adams level player that is undroppable due to performance level. He starts as much as he does because we have no one else, and he’s pretty good.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yeah, I mean we're talking about the U.S. left back situation here. Gomez should do what he wants but a guy who wants to be a star and play in World Cups shouldn't choose not to play for the U.S. because Antonee Robinson -- who has, of course, been a massive pickup for the team and the pool, especially in the context of recent history at the position -- is some kind of untouchable figure.

gomichigan24, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Probably lower than ARob, but the hole behind him is even deeper so he is a holy cow of American soccer.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Adams plays for Leipzig. Robinson for Fulham. You don’t think there’s a big gap? Adams has become underrated recently due to not starting after the new coach came in. He played a lot under Nagelsmann and Marsch.

Winoman repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Adams is the bench player, Robinson is the lead player. Adams is playing much worse than 2 years ago, ARob much better. There are rumors that Adams goes to Leeds, and whether Leeds is better than Fulham is a big question, I'd bet on Fulham.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    gogorath repped this.
  13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    They had an article on Goal talking about all the great Arsenal kids who were gonna make an impact and change their future.
    They had write ups on 7 or 8 players.
    FB was not one.

Future?

14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #665 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    I mean, who knows at this point. I assumed Berhalter wouldn't look to add anyone from outside the pool post-qualifying, then Malik Tillman showed up. I suppose there's time for one more -- and he has played for the U.S. before and presumably has been in continued contact with the program.

I don't personally see Balogun or Tillman or anyone else theoretically available as walking into a 23-man roster. If it expands to 26, obviously, you can maybe mix things up a bit more.

As for next cycle, I guess we get there when we get there.

gomichigan24, Winoman and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been playing very well for England's U21s and they have qualified for the final tourney next summer, which could get them to the Olympics in 2024. Since he's cup-tied to England for the Olympics, switching now (assuming the US qualifies), means he would possibly miss that opportunity.

Common sense would say he should wait this out if he's not in line for the WC. But Tillman was pretty much in the same boat with Germany and switched anyway.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

@ussoccer97531 Did Cade Cowell ever actually obtain his Mexican citizenship?
    There were stories that he was "in the process" of doing so, but I never saw confirmation that he'd gotten it.

If not........................then the equation on him changes slightly after appearing last night.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I have many friends in Munich who are big Bayern fans. None of them thought Tillman was ready, few of them think he has a Bayern future. None of them are all that upset he left the program. He is one of many guys who could blow up, or become a solid citizen one day,so to speak.
    Game changer, top class? That would have shown already. His recruitment was for the future IMO. I know much less about FB but I kind of feel that way about him also. The buzz he had a few seasons ago has clearly moved on.

I didn’t know he was doing well for England’s U21’s and has tournies coming up so that makes sense for him.
    Tillman I think saw the writing on the wall IMO.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it doesn't. Not having the passport in hand isn't the same as not being a citizen. FIFA doesn't appear to care when you complete the documents, just that you were eligible to apply at the time. As long as it's not through a naturalization process, he is considered a Mexican citizen at the time of the appearance.

Plus, the new FIFA eligibility rules *do* allow players who were not a citizen at the time of a provisional cap-tie to later add a citizenship and switch after a waiting period.

xbhaskarx, gomichigan24, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is basically how I see it, based of course only on my own hunches and tea-leaf reading. The math doesn't support Tillman walking into a 23-man roster (assuming no major further injuries, etc.) -- you could maybe come up with a case, but I figure Berhalter said "We'll give you an honest look" and that was it. Even with an expanded roster the U.S. probably needs at least some of those spots but it's easier to make a case for bringing a prospect along.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. The standard is really high on the German national team.
    Could Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones, John Anthony Brooks, Timothy Chandler, etc. been fringe internationals for Germany? Sure could have. Let's hope Tillman develops into that caliber of player.

As of right now, I'm not sure why Balogun would switch. This is likely a decision for after WC22.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balogun led the qualifying group with 6 goals in 10 matches (not sure if he played all).

Tillman scored 3 goals playing in about half the qualifying matches. I think a lot of his potential is tied up in how well he recovers from his ACL injury about a year ago.

gomichigan24 and Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    That’s the key. There is a difference between being good enough to get into camps and even play a bit here and there for Germany, and being a German mainstay and impact player. The goal there is win every tourney they enter. Can’t do that without special players. Their special and our special are different, but we are working at it!

24. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Can’t speak for when and how FB scored. Even before injury I know Till wasn’t considered a top, top guy. Good player, don’t get me wrong. I just think expectations need to be set. The level of our team has risen, and is rising, to the point where a good Bliga player is gonna be sitting on our bench in a few years, or not preferred in general. Happy he switched but we will see. Just another prospect for me. That being said our program has been great about giving guys who switch a real chance. He will get his.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I've seen nothing from Tillman in his first caps to suggest he's better than MLS guys currently on the outside-looking-in when it comes to the USMNT.

But those are his first few caps, and we'll see how he does from here.

But ya know, a guy like Paxton Pomykal is pretty good and has played a couple of minutes in a USMNT jersey (he's obviously had injury problems too). I just picked a guy I know, but there are all sorts of guys I could have named.

Being a breathing German isn't enough these days to get you in the USMNT. Or at least it shouldn't.

Just like I need to see Balogun play at a higher level than the Championship. Daryl Dike molested the Championship, and likely isn't going to the WC. Tim Ream just had a very strong year at Fulham, and isnt' going to the WC.