The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The much more important and pressing recruitment IMO. Only a friendly during a time we have no friendly and I don’t believe this makes Mexico the favorite, but Berhalter can’t slack off here.

butters59 repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting Twitter thread about dual national recruitment from Mexico:

I tend to agree with Herc in the thread that there hasn't been a lot of end product and only recently have we seen US-developed duals committing to Mexico:

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico has given Ochoa no opportunities. Given the state of their GK position, that speaks to the lack of opportunity young players get for Mexico. All their main GK’s are in their mid/late 30’s. Araujo has barely gotten an opportunity. Given the state of their RB position, I’d argue he should be playing more than he has. Alvarez is given very little opportunity.

Where is all this opportunity coming from? Mexico refused to promote Pepi to their senior NT, which was a deciding factor for him. Diego Lainez, who is nearly 22 years old, doesn’t even always make their senior NT. They constantly maintain a very old core of players.

bballshawn and gogorath repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Do people remember the confident tweets and comments coming out of Mexico regarding Pepi before his decision? ya know, the USMNT/USSF keeps a "list" of dual-nationals to scout and evaluate too. It was started by Thomas Rongen, who was the first to demand a budget from the USSF for that purpose. What am I supposed to think about a tweet saying Mexico keeps a list of dual-nats they're interested in? Of course they do. The hyperventilating about Mexican-American recruiting gets comical to me at times. A list!!! Heaven's to Betsy! Every federation worth its salt is doing that. I mean, look at the recently announced US U19 camp.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It wasn't only Pepi. It was going to be a wave -- Pepi, Ledezma, Mendez and others were all slated to go as a group.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I suspect Jonathan Gomez will be called up by both teams for the U20 tournament. It won't be definitive but this will be a fairly strong indicator of where he stands. Stronger than accepting a callup to a friendly. In Caleb Wiley we have a very talented alternative at left back. But I want Jonathan!

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nah. I think Jonathan is past the U20s at this point, and the recruiting battle has a lot to do with that.

Which nation will call him up to their senior team for the Nations League?
    And if both do, which does he choose?

Last summer the USMNT called up Julian Araujo. He declined, and we knew the writing was on the wall.

As with Pepi (and soon to be Slonina), we need to be aggressive with these top youngsters.

THe problem is that we can't have a national team of 17 year olds. We can't call up every player in a recruiting battle to the senior team. Just the very top. If we call up a player like Gomez to be our backup at the Nations League, that means we're likely not working with George Bello there. Some people would be fine with that. Some wouldn't.

We all want Gomez. But if we don't get it him, then we trust the assembly line to keep cranking out players.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He said recently in an interview with Scuffed Podcast that he was going to play for the USA at U-20 qualifying because he’s already experienced the Mexican U-20 set-up. It’s possible that may change, but that’s what we should suspect until we have reason to think otherwise.

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what Gomez will do, but I don't think anyone can with a straight face say Mexico has been giving the guys who have switched more opportunities.

Ochoa has gotten no chance with the full Mexican national team, whereas Berhalter was willing to call him up for the Nations League. Araujo also would have seen way more time playing for the USMNT than he has with Mexico. Alvarez has been a case of cap and forget. Meanwhile they seem to just ignore that Pepi went the other way.

Some guys are going to pick Mexico and some guys are going to pick the US, but this idea Mexico is propagating that the guys they focus on they get is nonsense.

More generally the US under Berhalter is far more willing to give young players opportunities as compared to the Mexico under Tata Martino.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to wonder who, before this recent wave of young players, they were referencing? Brizuela? Ponce? There just weren't that many duals that were good enough for both teams.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Winoman repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    They imply that he has shaky hands?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why wouldn’t they?

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #539 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Happened across this story about T&T recruiting and scouting:

A total of 78 players, either eligible to represent TT through parentage or place of birth, were seen in DC (48 players) and Fort Lauderdale (30). Carrington was accompanied by U-20 team manager Major Basil Thompson.

Four players were shortlisted to join the TT squad for training in early May ahead of the Concacaf U-20 Championship in Honduras. They include Noah Roka, a wing back/central defender of Austrian club FC Stadieu; Wayne Fredericks, a forward of Bethesda FC and St Alban’s High School; Tyrell Moore, a forward of Atlanta United and Curtis De Leon, a central midfielder who has already represented TT at the U-17 level under ex-coach Stern John.​

https://newsday.co.tt/2022/04/30/eve-resumes-tt-u-20-training-four-join-after-us-combines/

This story makes pretty clear the delineation between ID camps/"combines" and callups and it's something worth tracking as other countries set up in the U.S.

It also has a callup list which surely includes some U.S.-eligible players but I'm too lazy to get into it at present...

Winoman repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Roald Mitchell ('03) and Caleb Borneo ('05) are both on the list.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Winoman repped this.
  18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I can only think about JoGo or is he talking about someone else? Balogun maybe?

19. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Rahbiefowlah Provided this little nugget of information in the dual national thread in case people missed it

gogorath, STR1 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My read-between-the-lines of what seemed like a very intentionally written paragraph is that it pretty much has to be Balogun or Tillman. Doesn't seem like too many other guys where there's been recent reported contact, are outside the program at present, and have at least a good theoretical shot for 2022. But if you broaden the universe, maybe three or so other guys might fit the bill.

gogorath, gomichigan24 and Winoman repped this.
  21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slonina maybe?

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The report says Berhalter is "is looking to extend a first-time invitation" to a guy. That doesn't seem to fit Slonina. But I'm also assuming that the guy to be maybe named later is currently outside the program; maybe that's wrong. Lower on my list of guys I think it could be, if it might be an uncapped dual-eligible guy who is with the program, is Mendez...

TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #548 thedukeofsoccer, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Berhalter specified he's never played at the senior level. That could include Slonina. Names I'd also throw out there are Gressel and Frei.

I'm actually surprised it's not more than 1 given all the possibilities. Though I guess Jonathan Gomez has played, so he could be there in addition.

If I had to guess on the name, it'd be Gressel. He's the type of creative fb Gregg likes for his system, his timeline for citizenship is between last camp & the next one, & the coach had nice things to say about him when this issue was brought up previously.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/dc-u...ed D.C. United,after acquiring his green card.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gressel's arguably not "young" as suggested by Goff, but on the other hand, he's young compared with me! (And Frei is even older.) With that said, it's a creative guess. I dig it!

Winoman and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the olden days, a 28 year old who came from the college system used to be looked at as young. Now that's not so much the case. The threshold is about mid 20's, i.e. Miles still gets the moniker sometimes.

OK, with that qualifier added, presuming 28 is too old, how about Obed Vargas? You don't get younger than him.