The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1484954642803044357 is not a valid tweet id

Would be nice to get him in at least a youth team camp given he plays a position where we currently have zero depth.

Winoman repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman repped this.
  3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is very young. I saw him a couple of times. He seems to have a solid foundation to his game. He does get muscled from the ball if he lets the opponent get close. He usually gets rid of the ball fast enough. At this point, he has shown an ability to connect and find the open gaps for the killer pass. I haven't seen him beat an opponent off the dribble.
    I think he has a future. His game will get better as he matures.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    As recently noted by @BostonRed, Malik Tillman's appearances in German UEFA U21 qualifying presumably cap-tie him to them at Olympic level.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's what I think are the next set of major global cap-tying opportunities at non-senior level. What this rather obviously excludes is preliminary stages, like the qualifying competition mentioned for UEFA above. (If anything looks wrong or incomplete, please say so!)

It looks like some stuff hasn't been scheduled yet -- like, for example, the next CONCACAF U17 tournament. It also looks like OFC is using the same model for U23 qualifying as CONCACAF, using its U19 tournament this August.

OFC U16 2022
    CONCACAF U17 2022
    UEFA U17 2022
    OFC U19 2022
    UEFA U19 2022
    CONCACAF U20 2022
    AFC U23 2022
    AFC U17 2023
    CAF U17 2023
    CONMEBOL U17 2023
    FIFA U17 2023
    AFC U20 2023
    CAF U20 2023
    CONMEBOL U20 2023
    FIFA U20 2023
    UEFA U21 2023
    IOC U23 2024​

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’ve never seen this guy play, but this does look like a situation that may be worth monitoring.

SCSAutism, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The 2026 cycle has officially begun for Panama, El Salvador, Jamaica and Honduras.

Looking at CONCACAF's Octagonal also-rans:
    -- I thought Honduras would put up more of a fight. They were in both the Gold Cup and the Olympics and seemed to have a tested pool. Instead they finished winless. Their opening road tie at Canada certainly ended up not telling us much of a story...
    -- First it appeared that we'd overrated Costa Rica and underrated Panama. Then it turned out that we'd maybe underrated Costa Rica and overrated Panama.
    -- El Salvador, I would guess, figured out pretty quickly that they were not really a candidate -- their best result was their opening draw with the U.S., which if we'd won would've made our path much easier, obviously.
    However, it doesn't appear to the outside that this surprised anyone and Perez has seemingly run the program like he was safe. (Am I reading this wrong?) They'll surely continue to be a major recruiting force regionally.
    -- Remember when Jamaica was a late goal away from opening with a draw in Mexico City? Where do they go from here?

SCSAutism, LouisZ, ussoccer97531 and 3 others repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This WCQ cycle has been a bit different. Obviously, moving to an 8 team (vs. 6) group changed some of the dynamics, but the emergence of Canada as the leader of the pack has been unusual. I would have expected them to be in the running, but not the top player (especially after that opening home draw to Honduras).

That Costa Rica has turned around their qualifying run is another big surprise. It's rare for any Concacaf squad to go on such a strong run after starting out poorly. And that there weren't many surprise wins from the bottom 3 teams also changed the dynamic (some of which may be due to 8 vs. 6 squads).

In keeping with the nature of this thread, it will be interesting to see which NTs can pull from the US pool for Nations League starting again this summer with 4 dates in June. The nations mostly like to get players, to me, seem like El Salvador, Honduras & Jamaica, who are all in League A. Haiti & DR seem likely to grab some, but they are in League B, which might hold off some of the potential higher tier players who have their eyes on the 2026 WC.

Here are the details of the 2022-23 NL:

https://www.concacaf.com/nations-le...af-nations-league-presented-by-qatar-airways/

The official draws for the 2022/23 CNL group stage will take place Monday, April 4, in Miami, FL. The three draws, one for each league, will all be done using a single-blind system involving three pots for League A, four pots for League B and three Pots for League C.

I'm not sure how you get 4 group winners in League A with only 3 pots, but go figure. (It might be that the team that goes to the playoff gets a bye to the Final 4, but the rules only say they are put into Pot 1).

9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    There's four groups of 3, just like last time. Hence 3 pots consisting of four teams each. Canada, the US, Costa Rica and Mexico will almost certainly (perhaps certainly) be in four separate groups.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, makes sense.

With only 3 in a group, that means you have 4 matches to play. With 6 total slots to play in June & March 2023, that leaves enough time for the playoff to happen and everyone to finish their home & away.

Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    By the way, I haven't looked into the matter closely but Canadian-born and raised Montreal '03 Rida Zouhir recently accepted a callup from Morocco's U20s, apparently for friendlies.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico has been dodging the bullet for some time. Time to pay the piper

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well only two games this summer. And 2 more next March. And then the finals follow the season which is then followed by the Gold Cup.

That summer will also have the U20 World Cup so it will be interesting to see how we balance it all out after also playing a mid season World Cup.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's too many metaphors before I've had coffee. Are you saying you think Costa Rica's gonna somehow catch 'em on Wednesday? (I think it's theoretically possible?)

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Now that things have calmed down a bit -- what, if any, are the remaining recruiting storylines relevant to 2022 specifically for the U.S., Mexico, Canada and Costa Rica?

For Canada, I am guessing that maybe Flores and Jebbison might still be of interest -- also guessing that Flores might only switch for a WC spot at this point, and I don't know if Canada would consider that. Anyone else out there? How close is Tomori to the England squad?

I don't know if Mexico is still doing any recruiting at the senior level. (I'm sure they'd like Gomez but 2022 feels like a stretch.) Costa Rica either. I might be missing something.

For the U.S., it seems like if Balogun and Tillman are doing European YNT stuff this summer, they ain't joining the U.S. this fall, but that's just a guess. That maybe leaves Pierie and, I dunno. Munoz maybe?

It could be that senior recruiting is more or less done for this cycle

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who does Gomez play for at the World Cup?

Tillman said recently he’s not switching. Balogun likely won’t be either. Munoz seems like a big stretch to make either team. Pierie could switch, but I have a hard time believing he walks into our roster so quickly.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Very close. If he didn’t make it on current form it’d be a travesty. Which England CB’s are currently better? None IMO.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That was my point. At least for the U.S., it's a pretty speculative list. There doesn't seem to be anyone on the market now who would walk into the squad, let alone lineup -- at best, we're talking guys who would be switching for the chance to compete for a backup spot, at least assuming the entire pool is healthy when the final squad is picked.

Winoman repped this.
  20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should be, but it feels like they don’t give him the consideration he deserves. It would have been much more interesting if he were playing for Canada and playing every minute at center back.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Doesn’t seem to have much link to the USA, but if he’s committed to playing for us, what do I care?

1516840747328282625 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, EXALIFTIN and BostonRed repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Taking into account the latest U20 callups, I see at least five guys with callups across several programs, and more with multiple eligibilities. Nathan Ordaz in particular hits a CONCACAF trifecta -- U.S./MEX/El Salvador...

Winoman repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If he chooses Poland, I don’t think it’s worth huge criticism of anyone. I think this situation is comparable to the Ochoa one. Slonina is a slightly better prospect at the same age, but he also wouldn’t be going to our biggest rival. I don’t think it’ll hurt the USMNT much if he leaves. He’s not a must have recruit IMO, although obviously we’d rather he stays with the US program.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As we've stated in this thread: We want our young dual-national prospects to be at such a high level that bigger national teams are "interested." Croatia contacted Pulisic. Portugal contacted Reyna. Mexico wanted Pepi. Holland wanted Dest. England didn't want Musah to switch. The list is endless.

We should EXPECT a nation like Poland to contact and recruit a player like Slonina. Hell, we should expect them to contact Borto, too.

The USSF just has to do its best sales job. The lack of USYNT camps for nearly two years, initiated by COVID, hasn't helped. We haven't established as much of a connection with these current U20s as with previous groups.

When it comes to Slonina, he's a 17 year old that's played 18 career games. We called him up to a WCQer when he had 11 career games. Deep breaths. It'll be fine.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This seems to be the latest update on Slonina.
    Hopefully it’s true that he’s staying with the USA.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.