The Chivas Objections Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Soccerdude redded, Sep 7, 2007.

1. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Re: Attendance: 9,306.. ESPN "F"ed us again.

Really? I've bought Galaxy tickets for $10 in the upper deck. They don't open that deck for Chivas games normally. When I looked into going to the DC-Chivas match, the cheapest tickets I could find were $32. Plus service fee. And taxes. And whatever else TicketMaster charges.

I was going to go and buy at the gate (doesn't look like I would have had any difficulty), but wasn't feeling well.

2. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Let's Move Chivas to San Antonio

With Galindo and the other two Cubans FLA would work for NOW but what happens after they leave

3. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How? Free beer? Negative ticket prices? Nude dance squads? I mean, come on -- the team is 11-4-6 and second in the conference. If you can't get people to come out to see that, there's no hope.

------RM

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. Isn't THAT the story of Chivas USA for the last few years.

5. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the new guy coming in has an AMAZING resume. Things are looking very good for Chivas right now

6. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why not merge Chivas and the Galaxy?
    Galaxy have the stadium, fans, and Becks
    Chivas have the better team right now and many of their players would fill the voids on the Galaxy....
    THEN====
    Rebrand again and become==
    L.A. UNITED !!!!!!!:p
    (after all, I believe teams in England went two team in town merged, thus the term united)

7. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you didn't look very well, they had two seperate promotion last night two tix and two beers 40.00

8. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beckenbauer???????????????? :eek:

9. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, I'd like to know how it is that you came to that conclusion. Perhaps from Manchester United? No, that can't be; because, Manchester City, is the team of the Municipal District of Manchester, while Manchester United represents the whole of the Greater Manchester County. Kind of Like having an NYC team, and an NY state team...copy that? Unless that's the story with the likes of Westham...but I doubt it.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

San Antonio is a craphole of a cowtown with a bad "little brother" complex towards its bigger brothers to the north and the east.

They should get nothing and like it. But I'm a bit biased, having lived the vast majority of my life in Houston, Austin, and Dallas.

11. Joe_Cannon

Joe_Cannon New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Los Angeles

They should move them to Arizona maybe. Shown by the USA vs. Mexico game they have a large population of the mexican crowd. Course LA does too, so who knows if it would actually help. I love the Superclasico, but they need to just rename Chivas something completely different, move them to one of those cities who really want a team, and be happy.

12. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005

possibly Newcastle United or lesser-known Carlisle United...

while there are some "uniteds" like Manu or the first "united" Sheffield United, some clubs are actually the union of two clubs. plus, if a group of people came together to form a club, aren't they united?

13. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Chivas would do just fine in in the Inland Empire or Pomona. There are many fans and corporate entities in those areas that are basically untapped.

14. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005

i think i read or heard somewhere that Chivas de Guadalajara have more fans in L.A. than any other team (except maybe the Lakers). the fans of the mother Chivas are there, and surely some are fans of Chivas USA. many, however, aren't CUSA fans. maybe if the organization got a stadium in a better location and built its own identity, it would have more fans.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

All these numbers are a bit misleading.

You've got to take into account the Beckham nights. The entire season average is close to 16K. Weeknights are significantly lower than that.

In order to get an idea, take out the Beckham weekday nights, take out the Toronto average (they've had quite a few mid-week games) in order to get a better idea of how Chivas compares to the rest of the league.

They're definitely below, no doubt. But it's hard to say exactly how much lower they are.

And bear in mind that in order to get season club seats for the Galaxy, you MUST get club seats for Chivas, so their average is bumped up big time by the Galaxy.

16. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I dont mean to be a pain but theres no big spanish population in the souther USA, but there is a huge Mexican population though. Spanish means from spain but I know you ment Hispanic or Latin.

If the team is named Chivas you have to place it in a city with a huge Mexican population. No other hispanic community would support a Mexican team.

17. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think they should move Chivas USA to Guadalajara.

18. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Chivas USA Shouldn't Exist

People came out because they thought it was going to be an all mexican team. This is why the first year had the best attendence wise.

I was just stating even though Pachuca field mostly foreigners, Mexicans still support a team wich is Mexican. Pachuca is a Mexican team. If Chivas USA would have more Mexicans it would have better attendence. Last years attendence is better than this year because we had Palencia el Loquito Garcia, Suarez and Panchito.

You shure Chivas doesent play counter attacking offensive game? Chivas has one of the best counter attacking teams in Mexico. We might not always start in a counter attacking frame of mind, but when we are up a goal we pull back and Counter attack, in fact we do this way to much for my taste. I might be wrong but probably half of Chivas goals came from counter attacks. Did you watch the last 2 Clasicos tapatios? We scored a couple goals on counter attacks, these goals are just a few.
    If you read my post correctly I said both teams play fast attacking atractive soccer, which both teams do. This would be clear if you actually watch a Chivas game. Fast attacking, atractive futbol is the Philosophy for both teams.

Again you need to read better because i said one of the best if not the best youth teams. The reason I say this is because Chivas USA youth teams travel and play in international tourneys, i doubt any other MLS team does this. Chivas USA U19 went to Copa Chivas and to a torney hosted by Saprissa, and performed very well. A player who actually was playing in the Chivas U19 already signed his first pro contract with the first team his name is Jorge Flores. I could be wrong but he might be the first player to come from one of the youth teams and play pro in MLS.

19. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's from the East Coast...they call all Hispanics "Spanish" :rolleyes:

20. jamin barnes

jamin barnes New Member

May 14, 2007
    San Diego

They should move Chivas to San Diego.

21. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait; so when San Jose comes to MLS next year, how many teams will be in California? :)

Besides, Philly and St. Louis are probably going about to recieve expansion teams in the near future anyway.

22. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shyte i'd even go

23. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't move chivas, contract them, and send their players to the other teams...... And get MLS back to an even number of teams..... this is a win-win for all of us....

24. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would be thrilled to have Chivas USA here in San Diego but they would never get any help in building a SSS down here. I think the best thing that can happen to the club, as others have already mentioned, is to carve a niche in another part of the region (Pomona/Inland Empire). If the teams are apart, more people who would live nearer to the new location would consider supporting the team, even with the name as it is.

25. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006

I'm not sure moving solves the core problem with Chivas USA.

I noted when we talked about re-branding Chivas USA awhile back that I think Chivas USA was originally intended to act as a lower division feeder team for Chivas, but the standard of play in MLS was high enough that it made it impossible for Chivas USA to be competitive with a second division roster, so they chucked that model after the first year.

When the idea of simply developing a feeder club was scrapped, it also forced another critical compromise on the makeup of the roster. Again, I suspect the idea was for Chivas USA to field Mexican and Mexican American players almost exclusively. Unfortunately, given the constraints of the salary cap and the expansion draft, in order to get better players, Chivas USA ultimately ended up with a roster that isn't any different than any other MLS team. Aside from the name of the team, my guess is many Chivas fans don't have any special affinity for the players on Chivas USA, thus attendance has slumped even as the team has improved.

Finally, the name of the team itself may be as much a burden as a benefit. Popular as Chivas is in Mexico, they are also almost equally unpopular. I suspect Mexican Americans who follow America or any other MFL team would be repelled from Chivas USA -- why support a bitter rival, even if it is a surrogate of the parent club? Thus, Chivas USA now finds itself with the worst of both worlds: Not enough Chivas fans see a connection with Chivas USA to have any great passion for the club, while the name prevents other MFL fans from even giving Chivas USA a chance. I don't think that changes simply by putting the team in another city.