The Chivas Objections Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Soccerdude redded, Sep 7, 2007.

1. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Re: Chivas USA Shouldn't Exist

Haaaaaaaaa come on man, you guys are definately no Rockys. Clubber Langs maybe, but not Rocky.

The city of brotherly love resents the implication..

2. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Re: Attendance: 9,306.. ESPN "F"ed us again.

The MLS average on a weeknight is slightly north of 15,000, but Chivas only averages 10,700 (sans SuperClassico), which is only better than KC attendance wise.

3. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, the Chivas "USA" thing is funny. While soccer in America and MLS is finally starting to get it, there is one club holding it back like an anchor.

4. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thing is, somebody has to be below somebody, thankfully to the rest of us KC is at the bottom. However one thing that must be considered is how many times there have been a match in that stadium recently. Quite a few and that probably played a part in people's pocket books. The stadium also has fairly high prices I believe for tickets and it was a Thursday Night which means that it was a school night. That means 12,500 max right? So technically they were at something like 75% of capacity. Haha, I'm pulling for ya Chivas, I really am.

5. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I disagree. Chivas USA still has an amazing amount of potential. It's still early.

Chivas USA now has another opportunity - to market itself as the scrappier, more working-class alternative to the Galaxy.

I will say one thing though - the Chivas brand will eventually hurt them more than help. Go for the Latino market full force - sure, why not. But in the end, I just think keeping them Chivas-specific will keep them marginalized. I mean, look at all the crazy Tuzos fans that showed up for the SuperLiga - you think they are gonna want to put on those stripes?

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

No.

It's based on the league's best record historically.

That and the fact that DC has won ONE TITLE this millenium.

LA has won 6 since 2000.

Jajjajajajajaja!

That's about as good as the Mexican't who bragged about how Mexico dominates the US in everything b/c some team beat an American team in the Little World Series.

C'mon, dude. You're smarter than that.

7. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, with more than 1 month of advanced notice they are allowed to have full capacity at HDC on weeknights according to the Telefutura/Galavision announcers during the SuperLiga final. Chivas tickets are lower than Galaxy tickets.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

carlos, you are smart than that. number 1, DC's record is better than the Gals record historically. DC 174 wins 136 losses 51 ties. LA 170 wins 135 losses 52 ties. Close now, but DC's is still better. Wanna rethink your statement?

Number 2, the "best record historically" crap is just that ............ crap. You don't get awarded championships for the best record historically. You get awarded championships for winning the championships. Even prior to this year, when LA had a slightly better record historically, they STILL had less Supporters Shields than DC United ....... and that is the one that gets you the hardware, not having better bad seasons than your opponents bad seasons.

Number 3, what is this in this "millenium" stuff? You've either won championships or you haven't. The league hasn't been around since 2000. It's been around since 1996, and if you are going to look at the HISTORICALLY best team, you have to look at the entire record, not just the record during a period of time that you have chosen to cherrypick. And over that entire time, LA is clearly no better than 2nd in MLS. By the way, I assume that in those 6 titles for LA in this millenium you are claiming a Supporters Shield ........ if you are, you do realize that DC won that last year as well, right?

Finally, go back and read what I said. Clearly, my reference to the u-17s and reserve were meant as throwaways. Without them, it changes nothing in the equation, that DC has been the more successful team over the course of the life of MLS. Having said that, I'm sure that if LA had won either, or BOTH as in fact has happened with DC, LA fans would be creaming their pants to point it out. As it stands, they've won neither. But that's alright, you can hold on to the fact that LA has Beckham, but still manages to stink once again.

9. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home

racist comment edited

I'm not a hard core MLS fan but it does bother me to see how Chivas is destroying the image of the whole league with their terrible attendance in a top-class stadium.

10. Steele

Steele New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Atlanta

The average weeknight game is only 4.378% lower than the average Saturday night game (although a few large July 4th crowds affect that figure)

This crowd was 13% lower than Chivas average crowd (sans SuperClassico) for the season.

Hopefully Sunday is better, but Sunday's are worse than weekdays attendance wise.

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, thanks for that info mate.

12. touch line

touch line New Member

Jul 3, 2007

Is 40 still the new 30?

13. tedfirestone

tedfirestone Member

Feb 20, 2007

Thank for the info. I thought Compton was in East LA for some reason. The HDC really is in a good spot though as it is the nexus of the highly populated South LA and not far from Orange County. I guess the whole point would be for them create a stronger fan identity though.

Despite poor attendance this team is not such a failure financially. They have a sponsor and don't lose much leeching off of the Gal's stadium. A worse scenario for them would be if they decided to build their own stadium and were still be an LA afterthought.

If they are not a financial failure it is unlikely we will see them move. It is also not an important thing to ask for.

14. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan

KC, Columbus and NY average somewhat similar attendance numbers and they've been around since the start of the league. We're a 2 and a half year old expansion team that is under the shadow of Beckham. Give it time I say...Ah I love how galaxy fans use this attendance issue to take a dig at us on a forum. Pathetic.

15. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how's that?

16. tedfirestone

tedfirestone Member

Feb 20, 2007

You're going to offend both sets of fans here

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right, because Beckham joining the Galaxy has made attendance drop throughout the league.

18. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The sad part is that although I hate Lesbion, am not a fan of CD Guad, and am disgusted by the concept of Chivas "USA"...the team itself is a joy to watch. They play attractive attacking soccer and when they click, they make it a free-flowing game. They do need to rebrand and relocate even if it's just Chivas (insert new location). But Chivas "USA" come on! Not to mention to put a team in the States that is famous for it's "Mexican players only" policy is just asinine. I really hope that the team is redone, I'd hate to see that squad break up...but then again, I love to hate the Lesbion biatches.

19. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

are you equally bothered by KC, NYRB and Columbus ?

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

That's not really fair. Columbus had had one of the steadiest attendances since that stadium was built. This year they're down to 12.5K, but oddly enough they haven't had any games under 10K. That means a very stable base. If the team could ever find a way to become relevant, the attendance will go back to what it was in the Brian McBride days when they would get 15-20K all the time.

21. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Average attendance of 15-20k was between 1999 and 2004. Very respectable. Any idea as to why the sudden drop?

average attendance:
    2004 - 16,872
    2005 - 12,916

22. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They won the supporters shield in 2004.

Then proceded to suck something awful in 2005 and 2006.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Yeah, what Onionsack said. I'd also add 2007 to his list though. I mean Barros Schelotto has been a spark, but the team overall still looks like they might miss playoffs again. Big game for them Saturday.

24. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn that SS curse. Although it looks as if DC United might be able to avoid the worst of it this year. But they could still get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs to continue the SS "tradition"

25. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Im sorry to say this but all those "Tuzo" fans werent tuzos. Most of the fans in the HDC for the final were Mexicans who decided to root for the Tuzos. Even Calero recognized that after the game when he thanked all the mexican fans who came out to root for Pachuca.