The Chivas fans in the stands: How much MLS exposure did they have before Saturday?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Knave, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I wrote elsewhere that I was very impressed by the Chivas supporters who showed up on Saturday. I have a question though. Were those fans basically new to MLS? Was that game their first real exposure to our league, or were they going to Galaxy games or watching MLS on TV previously? My sense - based on nothing other than the fact that the place didn't feel like a typical MLS crowd - was that they were predominantly new to MLS. I'm just wondering if others had the same impression.

2. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    It is a mixed crowd.. Myself, while not new to the league, this is the first time i will follow a season of MLS. I was present at the first Galacto game back in 96 and their first intl friendly against Necaxa, but that "atmosphere" i am used to was not there and the long ride to Pasadena didnt make it any more attractive. My guess is that the majority of the crowd is indeed new to the league. I am sure many fans wont return at least not for a while but i am thinking we can have a decent 10-12k attendance untill the team starts playing better. A match at the HDC is just too expensive to go watch a team play like crap.

BTW i walked around parking lot 3 which i was told was the D lot where the DC U fans were supposed to congegrate but i didnt see anyone. I was there around 11 o' clock.. Well maybe next time.. Oy and Chiva town was craptacular, except for the walk through memory lane, which displayed CD Guad history, almost brought a tear to my eye.. .

3. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    I'm not new to MLS but this will be the first time I actually follow a team loyally in MLS. I had no attachment or favor for a team before in MLS.

4. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Hey Knave!
    Me and my Family were season ticket holders for the LA Galaxy since 1996. At the time the Galaxy was good enough.
    However, My Family has been Chivas Fans as far back as I can remember... My Grandfather, My Father, Me and now my family. We have had Family reunions at Estadio Jalisco in Guadalajara during Chivas games.
    When the word went out that Chivas USA could be a reality... the one with the hardest decision to leave the Galaxy was me, but Even my wife who is 100% USA was excited and couldn't wait for Chivas to start playing, because before there was soccer here in the US, she had experience that Chivas factor, the atmosphere of being in a Chivas game. Just like you stated, it is not just within the supporters club, it has no boundaries it will take over the stadium.
    That is what Chivas will bring to the US, Passion for the game and its something that I would love to see every team in the MLS adopt.

BTW... you can let the rest of the DC fans in the DC board know... that the legion 1908 was not calling Rick "*P*U*T*A*" everytime he kicked the ball. ~.o

5. masterchiva

masterchiva New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Dallas
    You are right, it wasn't "*P*U*T*A*" it was "*P*U*T*O*" and it will be a common occurance for all opposing keepers.

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    nothing wrong with that, we yell worse stuff :)

Legion 1908 was very impressive for US circumstances. Lets see if you can keep it up ;)