The Chelsea Ticket/Visiting Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Butterfingers, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Canada
    Hey guys,

I don't usually post in this forum but if you could help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be travelling to London and want to catch a Chelsea match. The only place I've been able to find tickets is on the official website. There are only two types of seating left:

1) East Upper Adult Impaired View
    2) Centenary Hall

I'm assuming that 1) is going to have a cr@p view, but where exactly is Centenary Hall? Is that the North Stand?

Also, how far away from Central London is Stamford Bridge? I'll be flying in from Dublin at around noon and am hoping to get there before KO at 1630. Is that cutting it too close? Directions & best method of transport?

Again, any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. RobH

RobH New Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Re: Seating in Stamford Bridge

Fulham Broadway's only 20 mins from central London. Not even that, really. Depends where you're flying into.

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Centenary Hall is the new name for the Galleria which I believe is the glass partitioned section of the Shed (South end) just above the family enclosure. So you see the game from behind glass, but I imagine the view should be ok. Not been there so I don't know, I am in the west lower.

East Stand restricted will mean right at the top at one end. The view is not restricted by pillars but by the side of the stand itself. I think you will miss out seeing the mearest corner of the pitch. Once again I have not been there perhaps others can advise on whether you can see both goals.

Perhaps someone else here knows what the Galeria was like?

Re transport: From Heathrow take the picadilly line to Earls Court and change for a Wimbledon bound district line to Fulham Broadway. I estimate journey time ca 45 mins to 1 hour maximum.

Hope this is helpful

4. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

If you're coming from Heathrow, you'll have plently of time. Only a tube ride away.

For the tickets, you should realize that there will be plenty of touts around Stamford Bridge selling decent tickets. Of course, its illegal, so be careful, but worth keeping in mind.

Almost right next door is Craven Cottage and Fulham. Games there are amazing, and I recommend seeing one if you can. Havent been there since the renovation, but you can get really close to the pitch, and tickets are usually easy to come by.

5. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I was on the South end corner of the Lower East stands for the Spurs match and we had to stand and peer around each other when the action was on the North end corner but other than that, we could see the rest of the pitch just fine. Dunno what its like on the Upper though and dont know where the Centenary Hall is either.

I catch the tube from Paddington myself and its as Dr I said. Takes me about 30-40 mins. Which match are you going to?

6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Canada

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll be flying into Heathrow arriving shortly before 1300. I then need to go and drop off my stuff in Kensington before I can head off for the match. From all accounts, this sounds like it's going to be a really tight fit - 30 to 40 minute ride to Fullham - but I might still give it a shot.

If I'm being unrealistic, let me know.

Otherwise, look for the "Big Soccer.com" banner at the Chelsea v. Man City game. ;)

Thanks again.

7. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You'll get super mega bonus points if you add MK9 to that banner. ;)

8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

I think you may be able to save some time, since you are stopping in Kensington, by catching the Heathrow Express to Paddington station, it whips you, (cheaper quicker than driving) there for around 15 quid round trip. You can then taxi or tube to Kensington area on Circle or District lines, and take the Wimbeldon bound District, may have to change at Earl's Court, to the Fulham Broadway Station.

Enjoy.

9. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

In all honesty the worse bit of that is that if you bags to collect don't bank on being out of the airport very quickly. The Dublin gates are a good 10 min away from the entrance, and planes can taxi for a good 10 mins at Heathrow after landing.

It will be very tight but I would follow lobomojo's advice the heathrow express is the quickest option.

10. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC

I'm going to the CC Semi on Jan 12. I don't know my seat numbers as I'm buying my tickets from a tout, but he's asking 65 quid (each) for seats in Matthew Harding stand, Gate 11, Row S. Does anyone know the face value of tickets in this section for this match? Can anyone tell me anything about the view? I know we'll be in the lowers, but is it closer to the east, or west stands? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

11. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington

Don't know the seats but if you are in the MHL I wouldn't wear red.

12. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield

Its a football stadium, not a gang land hood. YOu dont get shot for wearing the wrong colour in England - at least not yet.

13. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington

Point taken. However if there's anywhere in SB that you wouldn't feel at home wearing a United kit it would be there.

14. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC

As I understand it, MHL is the away stand for this match.

15. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington

Then ignore everything I've said. ;)

Are they giving up the full East Lower AND the MHL?

16. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC

Not sure, but I think it's JUST MHL.

17. upthechels

upthechels New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    England

Hi Coldcuts, Man Utd have just the MHL and tickets are £25 so £65 is a bit steep but I paid £45 to watch Chelsea at Charlton the other week!

18. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

But at Stamford Bridge you do get thrown out if you are in the wrong section. This is particularly enforced during London Derbies and games against Man U where there will be Cockney away fans. Anyone seen cheering after a goal in the wrong section is always evicted.

As it happens for the CC cup game the MHL is the away section. £65 is steep considering you can still buy Home allocation tickets for £25 from the website. However before you are tempted by that take note of what I said above.

However given our recent form opportunities for away fans to celebrate goals are quite scarce. ;)

Edit - Just seen we are sold out at home now except for corporate packages

19. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC

How about Matthew Harding Stand, Impaired View, Row EE? Can anyone tell me just how badly impaired the view is? I've been told that if those in front stand, I won't be able to see unless I also stand (duh), but also that the slope of the roof from the upper tier is an added problem. Can someone with first-hand experience please elaborate? Cheers!

20. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield

Yeah sorry I mis-understood. When he said "Dont wear red" I though he meant AT ALL. As in like not even a red T-shirt or something. Didnt realise he meant a non-Chelsea strip. That would be daft :)

21. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I sat towards the back there but that was a number of years ago now so the memory is not so clear.

The MHU does overhang the MHL and the roof at the back is quite low, this means when the ball is up in the air you cannot see it so if we are playing a team like Wimbledon in the old days this was bad news. As far as I recall you can see both goals if everyone is seated.

Someone else might have more recent memories

22. ColdCuts

ColdCuts Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Queens, NYC

I think we're gonna be in MHL row S now. Are cameras allowed inside Stamford Bridge? Cheers!

23. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

First couple of times I went, I used my hubby's Nikkon SLR with 300mm lens no probs. I was somewhere in middle row the East Stand Lower at one time.
    But the last time I was there, I was in the second row at West Stand Lower and the steward told me when I went in that I couldnt use it when the game was on. Something to do with flashes apparently which is complete bull coz they allow compact cameras anyway. So am taking my little one next time and hope there's a lot of action in the MH/East corner. Have fun at the game!

24. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I guy in front of me was alowed to use his still camera on Saturday but was told he could not use his video camera. This was in line with my understanding, you can use still cameras but not video.

25. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I was chatting to a regular of the MHL on Saturday and he told me that most of them had been relocated to the East lower for this game so you could be in the midst of it there MG, Enjoy.