The Chelsea Centenary XI

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by gomez, Aug 4, 2005.

1. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=296493&m=8&y=2005&nav=news&sub=latest+news

The Chelsea Centenary XI was voted for on this website, and all the winners were at Stamford Bridge to collect their awards in a glittering gala dinner.

The team was selected in 4-3-3 formation.

The Centenary Chelsea team is:

Peter Bonetti
    Steve Clarke
    Marcel Desailly
    John Terry
    Graeme Le Saux
    Charlie Cooke
    Dennis Wise
    Frank Lampard
    Gianfranco Zola
    Peter Osgood
    Bobby Tambling

The manager who was voted in, after just one year in the job, is José Mourinho.

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Second highest goal scorer in the teams history doesn't make the team?
    How interesting.

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think I would have had Osgood in ahead of Dixon, but I guess that is an age thing as much as anything else.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Probably, didn't see anything (of note) of him myself.

Then again, given the massive upswing in following in recent years, wouldn't that make it even more strange that Dixon didn't get in?

Probably had more to do with the fact that we were shyte for most of his years, whilst, (debatably) Osgood had seen the good times.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This reminds me of that discussion we had about the history of Spurs and Chelsea a while back.

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I remember that one.

Hard to get two supporters from the same club to agree on a best 11, never mind opposing fans opinions on each other.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think we were at least civil on that one, as opposed to your recent unfortunate attempt to talk with the Mancs. ;)

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the massive ego boost he was lacking. :p

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    That was just ridiculous. I never thought I'd see the day when United fans hated Chelsea more than Liverpool.

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Very true. Interesting that Greaves isn't in the centenary line-up, I suppose the organisers must have realised that he is Spurs through and through. ;)

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Too many new fans - what do you expect? The funny thing is that SAF and Mourinho don't dislike each other, nor do we particularly care about them, but they're downright obsessed. There are normally 3 threads just about us on that forum. Funny. I've actually had some of the more reasonable posters on there tell me that "no one respects Chelsea", as if they know. I just think its pretty funny - we've gotten under their skin pretty badly.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    HAHAHAHAHA.

They probably can't remember the time when the Chelsea youth set up was the best in England ;)

You know, the place where Greaves came up through :)

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Getting under their skin, probably has a lot to do with the fact that even though they won multiple Prem titles, they couldn't knock Chelsea down, as we beat them time after time :)

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, I believe we have by far the best record of any other club at Old Trafford. But then again, playing well against the top teams was never our problem over the past 10 years.

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    No, your problem has always been tricky game against Spurs.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I think MANU fans are just a bit upset that we are currently the most hated team in EPL. They had that title for a while.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    :p
    Our problem has always been the tricky games against Sunderland or Blackburn in January.

18. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No Mickey Droy. . .Ray "Butch" Wilkins. . .

Ruud Gullit...Vialli...George Weah...Di Matteo...Pat Nevin...David Speedie....Doug Rougvie....Paul Canonville....Nigel Spackman...Super Dan Pet Rescue....Kerry Dixon...Jimmy Flyod...

Eidur and most of the current team/squad are probably our best players ever

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How does DiMatteo not make the team!!?!? VIALLI!!>!?!!!?!? Pat Nevin!!?!?!?!? and finally Kerry Dixon!!?!?!?

I think Clan's got it spot on though. We were crap for most of Kerry's time, hence the snub. As for DiMatteo and Vialli, maybe only one I-talian is allowed on the team.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Tonnes of cred to Clarke and LeSox, but never ahead of Petrescu or our beloved Chopper Harris. I would even give Albert "Chappie" Ferrer a shout ahead of those two.

Also disapointed to see no Alan Hudson on that list, but I suppose that is reason why they generate these lists.

21. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    These lists are all impossible, as I say the present Chelsea FC team has all the best players we've ever had in it, bar one or two spots, Zola, Desailly?

Chelsea players of the year. . .many of the players won the award twice...many of them Managed the club...Hollins, McCreadie was also a manager, David Webb was the manager before Hoddle. . .etc

The criteria for the Chelsea XI seems to be both being a great player and being totally committed to the club...there is just too much choice
    e.g, Bonetti and Carlo were both great keepers committed to the Chelsea cause, but there is no doubt that Cech is the best keeper to ever go between our sticks, Cech may well be the best GK anywhere of all time (but that is another story, yet to be fully written).

<table id="innertable" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top">Peter Bonetti</td><td valign="top">1967</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="50%">Charlie Cooke</td><td valign="top" width="50%">1968</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">David Webb</td><td valign="top">1969</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">John Hollins</td><td valign="top">1970</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">John Hollins</td><td valign="top">1971</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Devid Webb</td><td valign="top">1972</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Peter Osgood</td><td valign="top">1973</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Gary Locke</td><td valign="top">1974</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Charlie Cooke</td><td valign="top">1975</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Ray Wilkins</td><td valign="top">1976</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Ray Wilkins</td><td valign="top">1977</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mickey Droy</td><td valign="top">1978</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Tommy Langley</td><td valign="top">1979</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Clive Walker</td><td valign="top">1980</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Peter Borota</td><td valign="top">1981</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mike Fillery</td><td valign="top">1982</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Joey Jones</td><td valign="top">1983</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Pat Nevin</td><td valign="top">1984</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">David Speedie</td><td valign="top">1985</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Eddie Niedzwiecki</td><td valign="top">1986</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Pat Nevin</td><td valign="top">1987</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Tony Dorigo</td><td valign="top">1988</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Graham Roberts</td><td valign="top">1989</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Ken Monkou</td><td valign="top">1990</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Andy Townsend</td><td valign="top">1991</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Paul Elliott</td><td valign="top">1992</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Frank Sinclair</td><td valign="top">1993</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Steve Clarke</td><td valign="top">1994</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Erland Johnsen</td><td valign="top">1995</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Ruud Gullit</td><td valign="top">1996</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Mark Hughes</td><td valign="top">1997</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Dennis Wise</td><td valign="top">1998</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Gianfranco Zola</td><td valign="top">1999</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Dennis Wise</td><td valign="top">2000</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">John Terry</td><td valign="top">2001</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Carlo Cudicini</td><td valign="top">2002</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Gianfranco Zola</td><td valign="top">2003</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">Frank Lampard</td><td valign="top">2004</td></tr></tbody> </table>

How the hell did Borota ever win it? Those were dark days indeed, 1981.

22. CanadaBlue

CanadaBlue Member

Chelsea
    Feb 2, 2005
    Redding, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Go Webby!!
    [not an all-time XI, but one of my 'second XI']

23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Borota had a fantastic season in '81.
    He was stopping everyting that came his way, and, in many ways was the pre-runner to the Grobblaar (sp?) antics sen at Anfield some years later.

24. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fair enough, the crazy Bulgarian had big hands too.

Ok, so, what about Joey Jones then in 1983? That lad was smothered in scouser tatoo's and that can't be right...He was fun to watch though, as was the latter LB Doug Rougvie, always a chance of some fisticuffs.

25. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wot no Vinnie Jones? :D