The Cauldron: Language an Issue (again)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Jul 7, 2005.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I sincerely hope so....I can't wait to make a trip to your new SSS and watch FCD roll over the Wiz for 90 minutes. Seriously though, I'm excited about the prospect of a new owner reviving the growth the Wizards were experiencing for several years.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whereas my girls say: "Why does everyone swear LESS than you do Dad? What the F*** is wrong with them?" ;)

3. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I resent that insinuation. You can fully participate in 2/3 of DC's supporters groups and 90% of the main DC chants without cursing (though I don't know the english meaning of every word in all of the spanish ones).

And as soon as MLS/USSF improves the quality of its refereeing (or at least find fewer referees who were born illegitmately - seems to be an epidemic amongst our referees from what I hear), you will even hear much less profanity from Barra Brava.

If Curt Johnson is complaining about the profanity from your tiny little group, imagine how much louder (more offensive) it would be if you had supporters groups the size of those at the average DC United match.

4. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think no matter what, parents have to realize that they are taking their kids to a sporting event. How many parents that take their kids to a Chiefs game have ever had the nerve to turn around to the other people in their section and complain about a little cussing? I haven't been to a Chiefs game since 1997, but I know at that time that they meade the same annoucement they do before our games, "Please refrain from using abusive language." Does it stop 79,000 Chiefs fans-NO. Parents have got to stop sheltering their children from experiences like these and if they want to hear less cussing then maybe they shouldn't sit so close.

Believe me, the Cauldron isn't the only place that has this issue. I sit in 118 on the 6th row and this family came in last year as season ticket holders. They constantly complain about the comments made and once the mother even asked me to "leave it in the parking lot." She's really supportive of the Wizards, let me tell you because she always wears her red Chiefs T-shirt to the games. People like this are not fans that are there week in and week out and don't know the passion that a lot of us hold.

I say if they don't like it, they can move somewhere else for the casual fan has no place amongst the diehards.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hah. Trust me, you'll find some other handy excuse for the profanity.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And where as Eden yells Sheep Shagger, and OG's kids sing the songs in the car when the Wizards aren't even playing. :)

7. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I heard him doing the Italian/Vowel chant the other day when I was on the phone with George. Yes, kids pick up on things...some good, some bad, some just dang funny.

I think a point that bugs me is that I put up with what I consider annoying behaviour from a variety of people in various settings on a daily basis. I don't run to someone wanting them to make it change. As my wife reminds me - quite frequently - I need to just ignore it.

I do agree with Beech that better information, sectioning, etc, could possibly help. The lady at the top of our section has been doing a pretty good job of explaining things to people coming in and I haven't seen many instances of upset families in the actual secction since.

I still hold that this has to do with the "Can you hear" song and the Jose f-bombs more than anything else. Could be wrong...it has happened before.

8. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    F-U, FC!

How about that? Is that too harsh for the babies?

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few weeks ago during the Sunday kickaround I was chasing down an errent shot behind the west goal (can't remember if it was one of Spoon's :D ) and all of the kids were sitting in the shade under the big tree singing Cauldron songs. They're little sponges, that's for sure.

10. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paige and I went to one of the last Comets games this season. Everytime the ref made a "bad" call, she started chanting "A Rope, A Tree" or "Who's your Daddy". Everyone around us just turned and stared at us (I of course joined in chanting with her). Talk about a strile environment....they are not really into chanting/yelling during the games. I kept giving Dino crap about his less-than-stellar play not flying in MLS...that got me a few stares/glares.

11. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually a good idea.

[​IMG]

"Before games, the Timbers Army congregates at the Bullpen Tavern, a small bar a few hundred yards from the park, for warm-up drinks-and to make sure everyone has a supply of mock red and yellow cards to brandish when opponents commit a foul."

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah they are very sterile, and Dino is a god with the Comets fans cna't do anything wrong.

14. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something that was bandied about a couple years ago on the Chicago boards that I actually thought was a good idea - I think we might have thought somewhat about it here as well - was to support the indoor team with a Supporters' Night.

Maybe we could take the Cauldron indoors for a night when the Comets start play. Who knows, maybe we could even win some converts. We'll certainly make some waves.

15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Tell him to fcuk off.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that there are people that don't like the Comets, but I had always enjoyed the games. But I don't knwo how many people would be up for something like this.

17. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would. A night out with my fellow Cauldronites, drink beer, make noise, watch some ersatz soccer. What's not to like?

18. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Speaking as somebody who's been tossed for what I've said (and as somebody who does voice-overs professionally), obviously I feel rather strongly about this. Language is an enormous part of any soceity. First amendment aside, people NEED to be able to express themselves. As Abbii knows, I attend a lot of symphonies, operas, art shows, etc. where, unless something extraordinary happens, you don't hear a lot of swearing. But to put it bluntly...Arrowhead ain't the Lyric. And when you leave the sanctuary of your home and go out into the public, you are willingly exposing yourself to sights and sounds that are beyond your control. If you see something you don't like, look away. If you hear something you don't like, stop listening. And if you're in an environment that makes you uncomfortable...YOU LEAVE! You don't go up to every individual and ask each one of them to change. I, for one, will NOT 'tone-down' the language I use when I'm pursuing my passion at a soccer game. I say what I say for a reason. I take nothing back and I make no apologies.

There are 80,000 seats at Arrowhead. There is simply no reason that somebody should sit next to the Cauldron if they don't like what they hear. But to come into the Cauldron and say 'people within earshot don't like what they hear'...fụck that bullshіt.

19. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To bad our sports stadiums have nothing but a vast sea of parking within close proximity. I can only imagine how cool it would be to congregate at a nearby bar or restaurant in a stadium district to pre-party and celebrate the big win.

At least this will be possible when the new arena opens, but it seems as if the Comets won't play there. In any case, I'd be game to go to a Comets game with a horde of Wizards fans. That might make it interesting.

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    B-5 is the place to be before and after the game :)

21. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT

Best Post Ever. I bestow upon thee some rep.

22. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was implying more about a whole section flippin cards at the same time. Add's a little color to the atmosphere rather than just the one guy in the back with the painted boxtops.

23. Masfaygo

Masfaygo Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Kansas City
    maybe curt would like if we were like the rest on the wed nite crowds and just

GOLF CLAP for the KC WIZ
    GOLF CLAP for the KC WIZ
    GOLF CLAP for the KC WIZ

i understand his problem but get real the cauldron has mello enuff for the FO.

24. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why do I get the feeling that the number of people in the Cauldron outnumbers the number of people "offended"?

25. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think that the problem stems from the huge amount of "F*** YOU JOSE" that were shouted.. in fact that was about the only thing you could hear for a good 2 or 3 minutes.

And for the "... I can't hear a f******* thing" we can say "... I can't hear a god damn thing" in place.

Saying "********" isn't a problem, like in Wings of a Sparrow...