The Case for Pro/Rel

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by NodineHill, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The warm glow of ethical purity would be reason enough.

At that point we could dispense with all of this single entity nonsense, while the nation unites in hatred of the refereeing favouritism afforded 36 time Westervelt Cup winners, Herbalife Galaxy of Los Angeles and their constant 7-0 trouncings of promotees like the Humboldt Hydroponics, Bounty Hunting Doggs of Tulsa (made more sense prior to relocation) and the Boca Raton Grandparents.

Chesco United and billf repped this.
  2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think fans are fans of "pro/rel" - that would be quite strange - but they do hugely love the whole league structure. Binning it would be massively unpopular, even with fans of the bigger clubs, or even the quite big clubs, who'd be the ones who'd benefit the most.

How that displeasure would pan out is a different matter.

Basketball is quite popular in many parts of the world, but that popularity typically predated any exposure to the NBA.

Football travelled because of trade rather than the empire as such. It certainly wasn't a game "gifted" to local populations in the colonies. In fact the strongest colonial places are noted for the lack or popularity of football, as the colonials were the upper classes, who pushed rugby union and cricket instead.

The truth is there are incredibly few sports, certainly team sports, that are a success beyond small pockets of countries.

Prenn, bigredfutbol and barroldinho repped this.
  3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Explain how baseball needs pro/rel.

4. So...hypothetically you are claiming the soccer fan population is now at its peak in the States and willnot grow futher. In that case you are right, but that is irrelevant of Pro/Rel...it is the same for the extension of the MLS in its current form.
    And it is hypothetically that P/R creates new teams as it has never ever done that..anywhere!
    So hypothetically you're ....

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I think somewhere you missed part of the conversation on the rather strange claims a set of proponents for pro/rel in the US makes. Of the more outlandish claims is that pro/rel will lead to hundreds of new teams all over the country.

As for your question, I think there is a rather fixed population of fans for a US league of similar or lower quality to MLS. Therefore more teams of equal, or likely lower quality to MLS, will not attract more fans when better alternatives exist on tv. MLS doesn't have a league format problem, it has a comparative quality problem in my opinion.

6. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #11481 USRufnex, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Frankly, you promptly cut/paste and proudly posted every single one of the handful of PMs you're referring to, so any ban or yellow card should have been dispensed at that time if deemed necessary. I could have posted your PMs from my inbox at that time, but chose not to. You'd also spent an extensive amount of time composing a lengthy parody earlier in this thread in an effort to mock and ridicule my posts, so don't flatter yourself by pretending to be magnanimous.

It became obvious after about 40 to 50 pages of back-and-forth early in this thread that you had no use for my posts other than to demand increasingly detailed answers to your extensive cross-examinations so you could systematically cherry pick, nitpick, and pidgeonhole them. At a certain point in time, engaging in a perpetual (dare I say eternal?) debate with you became decidedly unappealing.

Over the past year since 3/12/2015, you have quoted my posts or me by name 150 times.
    Over the past year since 3/12/2015, I have quoted your posts or you by name 44 times.
    Over the past year since 3/12/2015, HTTK has quoted my posts or me by name 173 times.
    Over the past year since 3/12/2015, I have quoted HTTK's posts or by name 28 times.

You recently posted every twitter response that flattered yourself and attempted (again) to attack my character.
    And frankly sir, the only reason your twitter account was created was out of the same agenda-filled zealotry you accuse others of having. And when I posted a few of your tweets in an effort to balance things out, included in a rather lengthy response, the moderator chose to delete the post in its entirety within five minutes of its posting.

So yes, when a pompous windbag like yourself has the effin' nerve to troll twitter pushing your latest anti-Pro/Rel-in-America blog diatribe, I'll likely respond, if for no other reason than to warn them about your oh-no-I'm-just-trying-to-enlighten-you agenda.

M repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've given up on trying to fix this thread.

We're going to start fresh with a new pro/rel thread.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new thread can be found here.