The Buffett Strategy & The Average Investor?

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Real Ray, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.morningstar.com/doc/document/print/1,3651,121436,00.html

Sachin's post reminded me of this-I was curious about how applicable his strategy his to your average individual investor.

The subject of diversity always comes up with Buffett:
    I'm pretty much in this school with my own portfolio; with two stocks that make up a good part of my portfolio, Anheuser-Busch and Illinois Toolworks, his point about volatility has shown to be spot-on. (I have additional investments in mutal funds, IRA, etc. This is just a personal portfolio of 12 positions that I've been building on for some time.)

Still, I wondered what some people thought about his overall views and to what degree are they applicable to average investors.

Here's the list of his 28 positions at the close of 2004:

American Express AXP: Wide Moat, 3 Stars
    Coca-Cola KO: Wide Moat, 5 Stars
    Gillette G: Wide Moat, 2 Stars
    Wells Fargo WFC: Wide Moat, 3 Stars
    Wesco Financial WSC: Narrow Moat, 3 Stars
    Moody's MCO: Wide Moat, 2 Stars
    Washington Post WPO: Wide Moat, 3 Stars
    Petrochina Company PTR: Narrow Moat, 1 Star
    H&R Block HRB: Wide Moat, 3 Stars
    M&T Bank MTB: Narrow Moat, 3 Stars
    HCA HCA: No Moat, 1 Star
    Nike NKE: Narrow Moat, 2 Stars
    Shaw Communications SJR: Not Rated
    First Data FDC: Wide Moat, 4 Stars
    Gap GPS: Narrow Moat, 4 Stars
    Gannett GCI: Narrow Moat, 3 Stars
    Costco Wholesale COST: Narrow Moat, 3 Stars
    USG USG: Not Rated
    Iron Mountain IRM: Wide Moat, 5 Stars
    Comcast CMCSA: Wide Moat, 3 Stars
    Pier 1 Imports PIR: No Moat, 3 Stars
    American Standard Companies ASD: No Moat, 2 Stars
    Torchmark TMK: Narrow Moat, 2 Stars
    Outback Steakhouse OSI: No Moat, 3 Stars
    Mueller Industries MLI: Not Rated
    ServiceMaster SVM: Narrow Moat, 1 Star
    Sealed Air SEE: Narrow Moat, 3 Stars
    Comdisco Holding Company CDCO: Not Rated

2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 years ago, I would have liked his theory but things have happened in the industry that make me scared to have too much money in any one stock.

Its not that I am afraid that a company would have wild swing in their revenue or expenses, its more the fact that one idiot can "Enron" a company and leave an investor holding the bag.

This is a "risk" I never would have considered too heavily in the early 90's and yet I think this is a new risk that needs to be thought about when investing in only a couple of stocks.

Andy

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    That takes several idiots. Not a lot, but more than one.

4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair point. I guess what I really meant to say was that the risks are outside of just how the business itself performs.

Andy

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, one of the biggest problems I have seen for the average investor is to get whipsawed out of their holdings.. It doesnt matter how good the company is if the institutional holders and hedge funds are pounding the stock...

I have seen great companies with great prospects plummet on rumors and panic selling, only to rebound to the sky after a few months... The average joe, cann no longer take the pain, sells right into the temporary bottom..

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Bought Berkshire-B pre bubble burst and am up big (only wish I'd bought more). Rather than play the strategy why not let the World's best investor do it for you?

7. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to Martha's shareholders.

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because now that everyone know's he's the world's best, he's overpriced?

9. erikl2

erikl2 Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I think that that only reemphasizes Buffett's point. Only invest in what you know. Then invest with conviction.

Buffett is old. He's chosen Lou Simpson to take over for him, but Lou only invests GEICO's investment portfolio. He's still pretty good, but he's not Buffett.

Buffett would (and has) argued that you should have uncovered many of these shenanigans before you made your investment. In fact, should only consider an investment after properly researching a company.

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think its fair to expect regular people to uncover shenanigans when many of the full time, highly paid fund managers could not even uncover them.

Andy

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And he was old in 2000 when I bought. I'm not worried about something happening to Warren... and God forbid if something did happen I imagine I'd increase my position since the "Buffet premium" would be removed from the stock price.

12. erikl2

erikl2 Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Your right, it's not fair. But if you want to hold non-diversified equity positions (and make money) many would argue that it is necessary. Otherwise buy the index and enjoy a "safe" return.

Very few fund managers actually do or have staff do research into companies' financial statements. They are far too busy trying to mimic the S&P 500. It is not possible to look indepth into the number of positions that most mutual funds have. This is typically the realm of hedge funds.

That being said, people did find problems with Tyco, Worldcom, Enron, and Adelphia all long before the market realize it. Sixty minutes even did a couple of pieces on Worldcom. It's possible, it just requires work. A good starting point is Financial Shenanigans by Howard Schilit

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Bingo. What many dont realize is that there is an information network that exist where these PM's make decisions off of. They spin it however they like, but many decisions are based off of inside information. Like it or not, they do it.
    "SAC" one of the most successfull hedge funds based out of CT, prides themselves on information. They get the FIRST call from the BEST analysts and act on it b/4 anyone else has it. read this..........
    http://webuser.bus.umich.edu/Organizations/investmentclub/SAC.doc

14. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20050421/ap_on_bi_ge/anheuser_busch_buffett

Well, if you see my first post...:) Thanks WB

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    You mean... determine an actual value of the company by opening up its financial statements and doing some valuations, investigate both its and its industry's outlook, and see if you're buying something for close to what it's actually worth? Where's the fun in that?

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2015/02/27/the-fate-of-the-berkshire-mill/?mod=yahoo_hs

large parts of the original Berkshire mill complex remain. The headquarters building was taken down to build more parking for the other commercial buildings, where Mr. Letendre rents out space to roughly 20 tenants and runs his own company, which he said makes “leather goods and products for the military.”
    Those remaining buildings represent the majority of the square footage that Mr. Letendre acquired when he purchased the mill from Berkshire in 2000 for $215,000. There’s history in those buildings too. But they’re not for sale.

18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    While Berkshire Hathaway may be overpriced, I believe it has a premium based off of Warren Buffett being in charge. In other words, when he passes away or retires I think there will be downward pressure upon the share price of A and B shares. However the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio/strategy is a pretty good one.

Whilst I don't "know" this will happen, my thought is that when Mr. Buffett does pass away or retire, let the price fall its 10% in the general scramble of investors worried about the effect on the company and then it becomes a good buying opportunity.

The only fool I've ever heard of who bought BRKA or BRKB was the one who was looking for their dividends. (this was a caller to Mad Money.......Kramer thought it was a prank and moved on)

"buy what you know" has worked for Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch. Both those guys know what they are doing.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States