The Bitchin' Beer Thread [R] ( Vol.2 )

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by vilafria, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played, sir!

Tonight, I'll be pouring a classic:

[​IMG]

My idea of a lawnmower beer.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well played indeed.

lawnmower beer? Heck if you've got a few of those, I'd cut the grass for them. I still have to drive 90 miles to get Duvel. Hoping Chimay is in Bama very soon.

3. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what is cold in my fridge today:

Sam Adams Summer
    Delirium Tremens
    Dogfish 90 Minute IPA
    Dogfish Raison D'Etre
    Harpoon UFO
    Xingu Black
    Smuttynose Brown Ale

Tough decisions.....

4. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Hot damn. What kind of a crazy mofo' stocks Delirium Tremens year round? That's like a once in a year deal for me. Raison De'Etre is also a favorite.

Consider yourself repped(+) my friend.

I've had a bad experience with a UFO beer though. And I don't mean I got piss drunk. I think I mentioned it, but we should leave the hefeweizen (for the most part) to the Bavarians. :eek:

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A topic of discussion among some friends recently. For all the wheat beers made by craft brewers in the States, a very small percentage of them really approach a true German hefe. Most are just kinda...eh, boring, IMHO. I used to like Widmer, way back when, but picked up a 6-pack for old times take recently and found it to be eminently forgetful. Actually, for a basic American wheat, Gordon Biersch isn't bad, neither is Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, but they'll never be confused with Weihenstephan. I'd appreciate some suggestions, if anyone in here knows of a top-flight craft-brewed hefe.

6. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kellerweis is pretty nice, although the body is a bit heavy compared to the best Bavarian hefeweizens.

The whole concept of "American Hefeweizens" like Widmer and Pyramid always bothered me. The phenolic character of Bavarian Hefeweizens is a key facet of the style that is completely missing in American versions. So, technically, those American wheat beers shouldn't be called Hefeweizen, but something like American Wheat.

Kellerweis and its ilk could be called Hefeweizen because they stay true to the original style but anything without that type of yeast strain should be differentiated from a true Hefeweizen.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    you guys say "well played", but he wasn't joking, you must buy a round :p

Please send round of beer to South Orange, NJ post-office care of ASU55RR. Anything from Unibroue or Lost Abbey should work, or if you can find a Cerna Hora Kvasnicovy that will do...

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Have you had the one from Schlafly?

I think it stays pretty true to actual Hefeweizen.

EDIT - I should clarify: It is an American Wheat, but for an American Wheat they do a good job reflecting the true Hefeweizen.

9. Ted Lyons

Ted Lyons Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We don't get their beers out here unfortunately. There are a lot of smaller brewers in the Northwest that use the proper yeast and make pretty good Hefeweizens and I'm sure the same can be said in most regions of the US. I just can't stand the fact that Widmer and Pyramid call their wheat beers Hefeweizens when they're not.

10. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Those 3 populated my fridge on a regular basis, but always one at a time. You sir have great taste!

Delirium Tremens is what kick started my interest in Belgian brews. Luckily I found a bar that fills up growlers of it for $20.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I have to buy firstshirt a round and I know where he lives. Hey Dan, you still coming to Nashville?

12. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United

Guess that means I'll be looking for the Delirium, then. :)

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not in the budget this year, perhaps feb-march time frame

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I discovered this place 20 minutes up the road from my new abode (and right on the way to work, if I'm driving,) so I think I'll be hanging around this thread quite a bit more.

Along with dinner I'm having one of you:

[​IMG]

And one of you:

[​IMG]

Both are just fine, not that my palate is terribly refined or discriminating (though I'd like to work on that.) I last had the Kona on draft during one of the CL semifinals last spring, and I really, really liked it then. It's not bad out of the bottle, maybe a step down from what I remembered, but it's damn warm here tonight and the beers are warming up quick. Drink.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just want to add, they have Delirium in Nashville.

;)

Dan - means preds hockey, that works.

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

I have this problem...I keep finding beers that I like but I refuse to make room by getting rid of my old favorites.

DT is what got me interested in Belgians as well. I had it on tap at a local place (Red Bones in Somerville) years ago. I have tried alot of trappist styles but keep coming back to DT as my GTB (go to Belgian) although the Roquefort 10 is even nicer (but almost twice a expensive). I think it might just be the pink elephants on the label.

17. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I always see this beer at my beer place. As many beers as I have tried and enjoyed, I have never quite tried a Lambic believe it or not. This is coming from a once homebrewer :eek: .

[​IMG]

So should I go for it? I have heard it's not much more than soda pop with a kick. Someone convince me.

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Great as a dessert beer.
    Also good to cook with.

But I'm not a big fan of drinking a Lambic as I would a regular beer.

19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    not really like soda drink, it is more sour than sweet because it's made from wild yeast. In essence it is sourdough beer. Lindemans, despite/because being the largest commercial exporter does sweeten their product more than most. If you can find the Kriek from 3 Fonteinen it is amazing. Fruit flavored Lambics differ from other fruit flavored beers as the fruit is actually added to provide sugars for a second fermentation, so it is a much more naturally merged flavor, and not just a so-so beer with a little flavor syrup added Polish style.

Kriek is my favorite variety of fruit flavored lambic, but my favorite overall Lambic derivitive is Gueuze, which is different ages of lambic refermented together in the bottle.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it. When I am having a light meal, the Lambic goes very well with it. Its not something I would drink more than two of in a night, but its like a Cherry Coke with a kick.

I also have the Framboise, same thing - but Raspberry.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to learn a lot in this thread.

;)

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ASU pretty much covered it, but Lindemans doesn't really provide a true lambic experience. As he suggests 3 Fonteinen is far superior. Cantillon's my personal favorite (you can sometimes find their top-end Kriek, Lou Pepe, at Whole Foods). Hanssens and Boone are great, as well (Hanssens is a blender; they buy lambic from other brewers and blend it into the final product). Lindemans sweetens their beer while those other producers do not. Traditional lambic (and use of the term is pretty much unregulated in Belgium, so it's tossed around quite freely, unfortunately) is dry, sour and f-ing astonishing. Some bottles of Cantillon I have in my basement carry a 'best by' date somewhere in the mid-2020's.

Incidentally, earlier on I posted an image of New Glarus' Wisconsin Belgian Red. Now, you have to go to Wisconsin to find it, but it's far superior to the Lindemans. And, no, it's not a true lambic, either; there's a sweetness to the beer you don't get with a traditional lambic. Still, it'll blow you away. I don't know in what form Lindemans adds fruit to their beer. Many brewers who have strayed form traditional methods have gone to using fruit juice or syrup in their beers. The hardcore lambic producers do not. New Glarus adds a pound of Door County cherries to each bottle, for instance.

By the way, the other beer you might encounter in this style, St. Louis, is not something I can recommend, though others may well have differing opinions. The real stuff will set you back a few bucks, and I won't guarantee you'll love it from the get-go. But in the beer world, there is simply nothing like these wonderful brews. And if you are ever fortunate enough to be able to attend an open brew day at Cantillon in Brussels, do it.

Note, too, that in Garrett Oliver's invaluable book on food & beer, The Brewmaster's Table, he described a traditional chicken mole paired with Cantillon kriek as one of the most amazing beverage/food experiences he's ever had (and he's had a lot).

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is pretty much the only "beer" my wife will drink, she prefers the Framboise
    if you can find a bottle of this, do so
    [​IMG]
    stuff was pretty good, its a Mango Lambic

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got signed up for Taco Mac's Passport Club over the weekend.

25. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Split a bottle of Allagash Musette last night with my wife's uncle. Goooooood stuff....

[​IMG]