The BigSoccer Science Thread volume 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorD, May 7, 2012.

1. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I had a hatchback. Those cars were famous for exploding when hit from behind.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    British cars would be rusting by the time they were delivered.

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POS, with IIRC, an aluminum block engine.

bigredfutbol and Dyvel repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I drove a later 70's one for several years in the 80's. For a cheesy little tin can of a car it wasn't bad at all; they fixed the aluminum block issue with steel sleeves in the cylinders. Eventually though, it took to chewing up a starter about every four months or so.

There were a couple of 50 ish Mexicans I knew, terrific plasterers, who came up occasionally in the off season in search of elderly autos to buy, refurbish, and take back as presents for family members-- they spotted it in my driveway, went over it closely, offered me six hundred for it, and I sold it to them for four on the grounds that, although I admired and believed in their skills, I didn't think the car was worth that as was.

They spent about a week rebuilding parts of it, and drove it to Mexico. I ran into one of them in a diner about 18-20 years later-- still appearing 50 ish-- and he told me his cousin's daughter in law was still driving it, and it was up over 700,000 miles. No rust; the climate's too dry. When something dies because of the heat, you just take it out and put another one in. Junkyards down there are full of them.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and Italian. IIRC some of the fiat's were stored next to the port before going on the vessels and were actually going rusty before they arrived in the UK. I know that for a fact because my mate bought one.

I can't say as any British cars I bought at that time were rusty before they were delivered. Mind you, some of them were pretty crap. That's certainly true.

The worst cars I owned during that period, (and since, tbh), were French, particularly Citroens which were dreadful in terms of reliability. Nice cars to drive, though. I'll give them that.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Further to my post immediately above, I got rid of a CItroen C4 which was an absolute nail and bought a Honda Jazz semi-auto 2nd hand from the dad of a mate as he had it available and I needed something quickly and didn't want to do all the research for a new one. That was completely reliable.

Only put it in part exchange for my current Hyundai because I needed something a bit newer as the wife was complaining.

I'd have a Japanese car now if I was planning to change any time soon but I'm more likely to just get another Hyundai or Kia. Not the best for driving but when you only potter around, what difference does it make.

7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I have a 2016 equivalent of Honda Jazz, called Honda Fit in the US. I might be a broken record, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the car. They pulled it from the US in 2021. :unsure:

8. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    My sister drove one around to craft fairs in Connecticut. My brother-in-law referred to it as "that car that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside."

luftmensch and rslfanboy repped this.
  9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I believe that was the mini slogan.

Or was it the TARDIS.

Or both.

xtomx repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This guy does some good stuff on YT...

That certainly sounds interesting for some applications, albeit rather niche if it's as described.

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Pretty amazing shot, turn to get a larger view. Then ask Why TF people still live there.

Reed Timmer on Twitter: "Highest-res drone footage of the Andover, KS #tornado which has received a preliminary rating of EF3. Note how the tornado propagates via vortex dynamics and likely terrain. Incredibly, no lives were lost by this tornado https://t.co/FJDBH8TAv6" / Twitter

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Is this a serious question? Why do people live in places that get hit by tornadoes?

14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    When did you get jealous of people who enjoy living in the fast lane? :)

usscouse repped this.
  15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yes. Every year they hit and every year they play Russian Roulette as they come out of their holes like lemmings to see if they still have a home. Then thank their lord for saving them….. Or not!

roby repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  17. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Because that's where you grow the crops. The non Tornado places are desert.

19. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or earthquakes, or volcanos, or hurricanes, or wild fires, or most of the above California I'm looking directly at you.

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First car I ever bought for myself was a 74 Vega. This was in 1987--it was still running, remarkably.

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious?

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good, zog, even tornadoes don't want to go Idaho!

fatbastard repped this.
  23. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I live in SoCal. No earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes or wildfires. Of course if a tsunami hits....I'm toast! :whistling:

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No we’re good. Unless we get a massive tsunami. And that isn’t an annual thing! But waiting every year to see if it’s your number that comes up is a bit different.

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You don’t think tornados are serious?