The BigSoccer Science Thread volume 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorD, May 7, 2012.

1. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Think I'll go to Mars. No Corona virus there. Yet.

fatbastard, usscouse, roby and 1 other person repped this.
  2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you didn't see the movie...The Martian???

I wonder whether the residents of Corona (Queens) consider the name of the virus to be somehow reginaphobic.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Still better than Flushing.

4. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    or Phuket.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Drain, Oregon isn’t that far away

luftmensch repped this.
  6. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your computer hates you. my computer likes me, so when i click on the link, it shows me Drain.

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My computer knows I’ve been through Drain tons of times. Half way between I-5 and the coast. One light that’s always red. So it was showing me a happy place.

StiltonFC repped this.
  10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I was through Drain about 1965, I think. We dropped my sister off for her freshman tear at Whitman (Walla Walla) went on to Portland where my dad had a consulting job at some sort of underground museum there, and then on to Medford for another. I don't remember a traffic light, but I do remember having lunch at some sort of roadhouse/diner/gas station...

11. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really off the beaten path, yes? If you're in S. Oregon, Ashland is a cool side trip. Nice village-like downtown.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Went there for their annual Shakespearian festival last season for Henry V. Pretty good although it took a while for Henry’s strong NY accent to equalize to my ears.

StiltonFC repped this.
  13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It really is one of the main routes from I-5 through the Cascades to the coast.

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we went to Florence, we took 126, but we wanted to go thru Eugene. I'm sure the drive along the river is nicer than 126, and then there's Reedsport and Gardiner. :)

15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noo Yawk?

usscouse repped this.
  16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Some 40+ years ago we lived in Florence I commuted every day to Eugene. 1 1/2 hours each way over those hills. The first 20 miles alone the river in the morning was pretty tranquil. Most o the water the reflection of the trees, sometimes salmon were rising. Then Eugene was 100 degrees plus. :)

Then we came back to retire to a quiet life.

fatbastard repped this.
  17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The St Crispen’s Day speech was a lot like that:)

18. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw the movie with Kenneth Branagh, I might have cried a little.

usscouse repped this.
  19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Billy Shakespeare was quite a wordsmith. When I first arrived on these fair shores a acquired a old copy of “the complete works”
    I did a lot of reading in those days.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And now for something totally different. For the Science Thread that is. “Science
    He talks of the 288 mega pixel camera. My first digi camera was 4 Mp. Then I read we have to come up to all of a massive 16 mp to match film. The mind boggles.
    Good read .... But!

|Mar 29, 2020,10:00pm EDT
    In Exactly A Year Our Knowledge Of The Cosmos Will Change Forever. This Is The $10 Billion Reason
    Jamie CarterContributor
    Science
    I write about science and nature, stargazing and eclipses.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Artist’s impression of the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb[+]
    ESA, NASA, S. BECKWITH (STSCI) AND THE HUDF TEAM, NORTHROP GRUMMAN AEROSPACE SYSTEMS / STSCI / ATG MEDIALAB

In precisely one year—on Tuesday, March 30, 2021—the almost US$10 billion James Webb Space Telescope (JWST or “Webb” for short) will launch on a European Ariane 5 rocket from the Guiana Space Centre to the northwest of Kourou in French Guiana.

The successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, “Webb” will study the solar system, directly image exoplanets, photograph the first galaxies, and explore the mysteries of the origins of the Universe. By detecting infrared light, Webb will be able to look further back in time than any other telescope thus far.

Webb is the most ambitious and complex space science telescope ever constructed, and tantalisingly soon it will be the plaything of scientists … or, at least, that’s the plan

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiec...ge-forever-this-is-the-10-billion-reason/amp/

fatbastard and Dyvel repped this.
  21. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've giggled at the sign many times driving along I-5, never been though.

usscouse repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    “Pink” Moon Tonight.

[​IMG]
    Detail of the 'Full Moon Pink' view from Oaxaca, Mexico on April 20, 2019. (Photo by Carlos Tischler/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

The space agency explains that the moon will be at perigee, at 2:08 pm EDT on April 7. The moon will be full at 10:35 p.m. EDT that day.

“For people looking for something different to fill their evenings, the traditionally named ‘Pink Moon’ is an invitation from the cosmos to scan your sky and peer out at our celestial partner,” Jackie Faherty, an astronomer at the American Museum of Natural History, told Fox News. “A full moon is always a sight to see as the disk of the moon is fully illuminated for us to study in detail. Calling it a ‘Pink Moon’ is a reminder that spring is here and people of the past used to live their lives much more closely with what was happening in the nighttime sky.”

Roth-Czifra, however, says that the moniker “pink moon,” is a little misleading.

“I am afraid to disappoint – but it will not be bright pink! Moons always rise in the East and set in the West -- so follow this direction in your search,” he explained. “The April Moon takes this name from the ‘Phlox,’ a plant which blossoms pink in April.”

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/a...ight-sky-as-the-first-supermoon-of-spring.amp

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    ...and just because.

In memoriam: E. Margaret Burbidge, who was once denied the use of a telescope because of her sex, went on to make pathbreaking findings about the cosmos. She died on Sunday at 100.

roby, Dyvel and fatbastard repped this.
  24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I remember being denied the use of a telescope too. The shouldn't have put the women's barracks next to ours! :whistling::mad:

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You are a dirty OLD man.
    But then you were a dirty kid.

roby repped this.