The Biggest News To Have Ever Hit Manchester - The Takeover.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Sep 1, 2008.

1. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    london
    you know there's 18 teams in the premier?

2. Mattmc

Mattmc New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Indiana
    Baby steps man, baby steps. I know its small. But it'll be an interesting story to follow.

3. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Congratulations on the new Man City! The derby games just got a lot more interesting.

4. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Damn, you beat me to it. Was going to ask the same thing. His answer would probably be "we had to cheat BECAUSE we won't use FIAT money", or something like that. By the way, anyone who TRULY believes the Agnelli family hasn't put any money they've made from fix it again, Tony, into Juve, I have some oceanfront property, in ARIZONA, to sell you. :rolleyes:

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a strange forum. One that perfers Imperialism to Capitalism.

6. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen everyone, I know there has been a lot of insults flinging around lately.

There's no reason why we cannot have a civilized conversation here. Please keep the insults at a minimum, I don't want to have to start carding people.

Thanks
    -CB

7. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That warning also goes for my own people too. Sorry, I've got to be fair to everyone :cool:

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    But does it apply you as well. ;)

9. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    london
    level field baby steps? intresting? whilst i don't begrudge city their trillions ,as a supporter of football for 40 years you have to be thinking it's the ruin of football in england. if you don't know why then you haven't followed an english football club through thick and thin.

11. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    City getting a mega rich owner isn't the "ruin of football in England", as you put it. That started over 20 years ago, and the majority of the blame lays at the feet of the "big 4".

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Bullshit. How the hell can it be blamed on any of the big four bar Chelsea?

13. Mattmc

Mattmc New Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything as a slight on any team. Your not wrong I'm fairly new to the game. I guess my thought is it would be cool to see someone/anyone push the big 4. See how they may react to watching the CL. As well as a new team and fanbase involved in it. Either way, good luck City I'll enjoy watching how it turns out.

14. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers Matt, good man.

15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    HAHAHAHA, as usual Teso complaining about something when United have been doing said thing for ages. FFS 30 million for Rio in 2002 no less. Or how about the TV deals with BSkyB huh? Or the formation of the Prem? Seem to be forgetting them like usual Teso.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    We have been through this all before. I can count on one hand the number of seasons Man Utd have spent the most. Even then our big spending only came about after years of dominance when we specifically targeted the best players to complete our squad. It is far removed from what clubs like your own, Blackburn and now Man City have done. All of this hatred of Man Utd is ridiculous and most of it is based on ignorant rambling from rival fans. If you wish to have any complaint it can surely only be in regard to Man Utd leading the way on every front and enabling the rest of the league to become this good.

I like how you specifically mentioned Ferdinand. Not only was he signed at the height of the transfer market from a main rival but he is arguably the best central defender in the world and this will be his seventh season at the club. 30 divided by 7. You do the maths and ask yourself what makes more sense from both a football and business perspective. Now factor in one Ferdinand versus having to sign the likes of Gallas, Carvalho, Alex and Ivanovic in the same period of time.

17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You spent like mad when Ferguson came, buying two players (Pallister and Keane) who cost more than Arsenal's first team at the time. You've been setting new transfer records since 1981 as the buyer.

Snort, you set the transfer record in 1995 again as the buyer when you lost the title to Blackburn, and for the record winning two titles in a row isn't "dominance". You were a rich club before Fergie came by the way, Spurs of the North!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not hatred you moron, it's your hypocrisy. If there's one set of fans who shouldn't be complaining about other clubs being able to outspend them, it's Man United fans. Never mind the fact that United set the record as the buyer two times in a row, nor that United became a PLC in order to spend to stay at the top and that you just spent £30 million on a striker

The only thing Man United led was setting British transfer records, along with proving that a billionaire is needed just to compete with the big dogs.

30 million, in 2002. For a defender. And you mean the same Rio who got skinned by that Portuguese player playing for Zenit? Led to a goal didn't it. Oh, and bleat on about it being a friendly but I seem to remember Fergie saying he was taking this seriously.

William Gallas: 6 million and was part of our league winning team and had a great partnership with Desailly (Who your club tried to buy by the way) and then a great one with Terry. Could play at RB, LB, and CB when needed. Bought pre-Roman (2001) by the way. A bargain too. Not our fault that he's a diva though and wanted to leave. Part of a team that set the record for the least amount of conceded goals in the league.

Carvalho: 19 million, part of a CL winning squad for Porto, have never lost a game recently when he's playing, and is rated by Torres. Lived up to his price tag so far. Also helped us win two league titles.

Alex: Think we got him for free (Bargain). Very good defender, had a great partnership with Carvalho when Terry was injured that some people thought that Terry should earn his spot to get back in because Alex-Carvalho was that good. Had we got him in when we had our injury crisis, we might have won the title and would not have had to resort to using Paulo Ferreira and Essien as CBs

Ivanovic: LOL you're so dense it's not even funny. 9 million, and the only reason he hasn't played yet is because A. We bought him when the Russian season was a few months over. B. He got injured in training (Who doesn't?) and C. We're only three games in so it's too early to judge how he fares (Unlike the morons in the press). We're not dumb enough to play an out of shape, injured defender right after we bought him too by the way. And if he can play across the defense then another bonus.

Barring Ivanovic, the defenders we've signed have been bargains in comparison to Rio (Who still has the occasional head in the cloud moment by the way). And one of them by the way, was part of a defense that set a least conceded record.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I do like how certain Chelsea fans attempt to have this 'debate' on numerous boards but always to no avail.

We did not spend like mad when Ferguson originally arrived but you already knew that. I've no idea how much Arsenal's first team at the time cost and no doubt neither do you. I'll deal with this later on in the post.

A record we held for all of 6 months before Arsenal (Bergkamp) and then Liverpool (Collymore) broke it. Other Premiership clubs spent far more in total during that period which, unsurprisingly enough, is something you refuse to acknowledge. It's all well and good pointing to whatever individual record you like but it is being dishonest to whine about transfer spending while conveniently ignoring precisely that. As I stated previously we only started to spend big after years of dominance. I'm not talking about two in a row dominance. I'm talking about Ferguson's Man Utd trophy haul reaching double figures dominance. In case you might be confused we first spend the most (in total) on transfers in season 98/99. We have only done so three times in the history of the Premiership.

It's clearly hatred. Hatred of the foundations Ferguson put in place, hatred of the subsequent success we had in building the club both on and off the pitch and hatred of the dominance it brought.

Thanks for highlighting your ignorance. Man Utd is the model that all clubs strive to match, especially your own.

What about a keeper for £30m plus... shock horror! If you look at the top 10 world record transfer fees you will find that 7 occurred between 1999-2002. Pre-Robinho to Man City that included the top 5 transfers. Funnily enough that was the period of time that I, and anyone with any knowledge of the subject at hand, define as being the height of the transfer market. I'll ignore your ignorant ramblings and attempts at trolling because it has nothing to do with the subject at hand and only highlights that you are already desperately clutching at straws.

It's obvious that you failed to comprehend the point that was made. In order to help you I will repeat it and make it clearer for you. We signed Ferdinand from a major rival at the height of the transfer market. He has been at the club for 7 years and during that time has proven himself to be a key component of the side and arguably the best central defender in the world. We signed Ferdinand and you signed countless other central defenders during the same period of time and for more money. What makes more sense from a football and business perspective?

The question is open to anyone who cares. Apologies to those who do not.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Absolutely none whatsoever.
    It's not too long ago we averaged close to 60k. But we have been playing in one of the worst stadiums on earth and people are fed up about it. If you think your team would average much more then 35k at Delle Alpi then you are mistaken. It's a piece of crap. And yes we took a financial hit from Calciopoli but Juve is a pretty big club. According to the latest FIFA/UEFA surveys we have more fans globally and in Europe then anyone and in Italy we have about the same as Inter and Milan combined. Did you know that in Milan we have as many fans as Inter? I really don't think you understand what you're talking about.
    What cheating is that?
    I don't care if you read it or not. You're insulting my team and I'm going to defend it. Especially against this kind of puke from people who have no idea what they're talking about.

20. taffhammer

taffhammer New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    london
    city getting are not just getting a mega rich owner,they are now off the scale of what they can spend compared to even chelsea.
    city are not to blame in any way, who wouldn't want all that spending power, but there are a few key points that are leading to the end of football as i and many others know it.football is fast growing away from taking your place at the front of the kippax an hour before kick off as a kid.
    sky started it
    jack walker added to it
    chelsea ran with it
    and now city can spend 120 million on ronaldo.
    it's not about me and you anymore, it's turn into a global circus.just look at your supporter map, whats that going to look like come the end of the season.real city fans will be lost in the glory seekers.

i've no arguement with that, a much better way to put it.

21. thanatos80

thanatos80 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Burien, WA
    Even though I've only been to one City match, ever (May of '86, in Seattle), I have been a fan for nearly 3 decades. I'm not worried about being "lost among the glory seekers", because I don't think there will be all that many, at least not here in the States. The majority of glory hunter types, over here, have already hopped aboard the ManUre, Arse, Chelsea, and spud bandwagons. What few we might get will be easy to indoctrinate into what it truly means to be a City fan, so will quite quicky be indistinguishable from those who have bled City Blue for decades.
    True, City CAN spend that kind of money, but WILL they? I've said it before, and I'll say it again; it's not about getting the best players, it's about getting the right players. From what I've read, looks like Mark will put together his "wish list" of players, I would assume split up by position, multiple players at each (ranked), and each position prioritized. From that, the GM and Board will see what it's going to take to get him his players.

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'd say there is a 0.00013% chance Ronaldo ends up at City.

23. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, It really is like we (City Fans) just won the lottery. Not in club's worth, but more in the fact that EVERY ASSHOLE IN THE WORLD SHOWS UP AT UR DOOR!

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Don't worry, that won't happen.

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Your forum's traffic will pick up a lot now and not in a good way. The ignore list can be useful but other than that I wonder if your new success means the muppet traffic on our forum will diminish - I can only hope :D

On the takeover - is there any date in sight for the formal purchase of the club?

Also, I saw this article quoting SAF and Giggsy-Wiggsy:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7600620.stm