The Biggest News To Have Ever Hit Manchester - The Takeover.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is massive, massive, massive, massive news.

It is being reported all over the news sites (Guardian, Times Online, Reputeable sources), These blokes aren't flash in the pans. They will rival Roman Abromavich, they have said they want us to be the biggest club in the world, the difference being these blokes have unlimited resources to let us do this. The rumours are that the club has been bought for $150M, and $300M has been set up IMMEDIATELY for transfers.

This has been the best week in Manchester History (apart from Corluka leaving, although he handed in his transfer request .. nothing we could do)

2. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yup with Abu Dhabi government's involvement, Man City can easily rival Abramovich!

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's been confirmed on SSN (Sky Sports News).

Rumours of a $28M bid for Berbatov.

I am over the blue moon.

4. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After hearing about the Arab takeover, I'm a bit more optimistic. Unlike the "Doctor", these guys do love their football and are not likely to have their assets frozen since the world is on it's knees for their oil. :p

If this deal is going through as we speak, surely there can be no Berbatov bid? Because...

"A period of due diligence for all parties, including the FA Premier League has now been entered."

Keywords: Due diligence, doesn't that mean a transfer freeze?

Anyway, hopefully it leads to good things and they keep Hughesy on, even if thinks don't go perfect this season, as its mean another tumultuous off-season period for us.

2011 EDIT: It led to good things alright!!

5. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's a gentlemen's agreement ATM, but it is essentially a done deal, announced in their homeland and these guy's have far far far too much pride to back down after that.

So it will be "finished" after today, but not today so we can still table bids.

Speaking of bids, we have apparently tabled a british record transfer fee for Berbatov, in excess of $30M according to Sky Sports.

6. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well, sorry for standing in the way of your irrefutable logic ;), but considering these guy's are almost as rich as Abromovich, I wouldn't count it out.

And we've already sent Corluka their way for under what he is worth, good will works both ways (hopefully anyway :p)

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in the news here in Abu Dhabi too....

This should be great... can't wait to see the Ismael Mattar to Manchester City deal happen. :)

8. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    holy crap. I never post in this forum, but i woke up completely stunned. i thought it would be a good enough summer if we only landed Jo and SWP.

but now we're putting in some audacious bid for berbatov?

and we've been taken over, seemingly overnight?

i think any further transfers could still go through, since the club borrowed alot of money recently, that will they probably have been assured will be payed off one all the Abu Dhaby stuff is resovled, so they're free to spend it?

weird, wild stuff.

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently they've (Spurs) accepted the bid.

Manchester City should really 'sheikh' up the premiership this season.

TBH... this is great news. I'm so fed up with the 'big 4' phenomenon that's hit the premiership. It would be so great to get another team that can compete finacially with them. We all thought it would be Spurs, but who knows... maybe it will be City now.

10. Brady24

Brady24 Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Manchester City should really 'sheikh' up the premiership this season.

haha, move over Seinfeld!, we got a new comedian!

11. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    From what i've seen on sky sports news, this Abu Dhabi group is looking to be the next roman abramovich.. for real. It's a crazy day.

12. CHthirteen

CHthirteen Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Chicago
    They've also apparently put in bids for DAVID VILLA and MARIO GOMES?

i just saw it on sky.

13. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    The last five minutes on Sky have been crazy. 36 million pounds for Berbatov from Real? Berbatov to Man City? Berbatov to United? Oh, and a 10 second blurb on the takeover.

14. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    How's this for a twist? Klaas Jan Huntelaar was seen in Manchester.

15. Brady24

Brady24 Member

Sep 20, 2007
    how is this for a twist?

1713: Fact time: Manchester United have been speaking to Dimitar Berbatov. Classic United, this. They'll agree terms, get him to sign a medical and then force Spurs to accept a lower bid for him as the clock ticks towards midnight. Allegedly.

16. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    How bout this for a twist.

Spurs have not given the all-clear for United to speak to Berbatov, nor have they accepted a bid from United.

Tapping up. Naughty, Naughty.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now City are after Mario Gomez and David Villa... that kind of tells me something is wrong with the Berbatov bid.. Villa would be a great signing... he's the real deal.. not so sure about Mario Gomez.

18. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    Another City fanatic, where've you been, why have you not posted your views before? Anyway, glad that you've joined us now.

I too was stunned, gob-smacked, dumb-founded when I saw the announcements of Berbatov coming to CoMS and then the take-over, running on the BBCWorld TV news tickertape. What! I couldn't believe it. I hope the new owners don't start dictating to MH what he should be doing (it's more than possible). Can you imagine how much of a spin his brain is in!?!? If he didn't know about the takeover that is.

MH certaily has his striker options now. He'll have his work cut-out to keep the team motivated and individual confidences high. Hope the players are professional enough to realize that they all can't play in every match. We probably will see a different team each match! Who'd have thought it a couple of weeks ago?

Another great marketing opportunity opens up in a soccer continent that hasn't had much impact (ie players and owners) thus far, in the EPL.

What a season - and it's only week three!

19. Cheeze

Cheeze Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Edmonton Alberta
    Not a big city fan, but congrats on the BIG NEWS. It should be good for the premiership with City perhaps challenging the top four, perhaps also tottenham. Anyways heres to City Sheikhing up the premiership. BTW that was the best comment I've ever read.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think you want to say 'region' as the Middle East is not exactly a continent.. but I do agree... it's only a matter of time until I think a couple of clubs have Gulf owners. There's a lot of money here and they are soccer mad / football crazy as well. The Serie A + La Liga used to be the most watched leagues here but the premiership is starting to get a lot more attention, especially with showtime sports now showing just about every other game live/recorded.

21. michael24710

michael24710 Member

Jul 10, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good news for the league... but dont get carried away, it will take time to build a team which can realistically for the league... your current side is a long way from it...

Even Chelsea failed in a lot of their early bids for players... Apparently they are worth ten times what Roman is.... hopefully you will compete and not dominate :p

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting news indeed. And the timing of it has certainly shaken up transfer deadline day.

One thing I don't understand right now though is where are the bids coming from? Who's authorizing them? The news reports imply that it is the prospective owners (who can clearly afford them) are greenlighting the bids, but as they don't own the club yet how does the financial aspect work?

Would the transfers be on a MFI basis (buy now, pay in 2009) by which time the new owners are in place?

Also, can Thaksin sell any of his assets if they have been frozen?

I just hope that if any large sums of cash are spent, the gentleman's agreement is made official. I would hate to see you lot in trouble, after all you're always good to take a point or two of United :)

P.S. Quick word of advice - avoid goal.com. Chances are with the likely new financial situation you will be linked with every player in the world on a weekly basis. If you wish to retain your sanity, trust me (as far as you can trust any Chelsea fan) and stick to the legit websites.

23. Brady24

Brady24 Member

Sep 20, 2007
    blah blah, he'll be in red tonight...

24. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States