News: The Big Tech Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Jitty Slitter, Oct 6, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    OK - give me some rope here ...

The super powerful tech monopolies / duopolies are one of the biggest threats to our social democratic societies right now - especially because for some strange reason, no one really bothered to regulate them in the last 15 years

Whether it is Amazon running a market place whilst also competing against its own sellers, or Google and Facebook controlling three quarters of the digital advertising revenue between them, we are in a screwed up place right now.

But the good news is, this is at last being talked about.

So for this opening post, I'd like to recommend Kara Swisher's interview with Elon Musk in her new Sway podcast for the NYT

On the one hand, Musk says a lot of stuff that is clearly true. We need to transition to renewable as fast as possible, and that means manufacturing an epic shit tonne of good batteries like starting now ...

Stuff about replacing our meat with implanted AI? Yes!

On the other hand - the guy exhibits all the libertarian psychopathic traits that got us to this place.

I tend to agree with Kara. For a long time we thought the Valley was liberal, but actually its more psychopathic Mooch libertarian. That comes with plusses and minuses. On the one hand you get Uber. On the other hand, you would never want to work for Uber

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/28/opinion/sway-kara-swisher-elon-musk.html

SetPeace and dapip repped this.
  2. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't hear much on the news about it, but there are quite a few employees at various big tech conglomerates that are dissatisfied with the structure, attitude, or working conditions of the places that write their paychecks.

Employees at Amazon, Facebook, and Google in the past two or three years have become more vocal about their displeasure where they work. As far as I know, few of these people have made their concerns known before legislative investigatory bodies at the state or national level. Anyone that's gone before Congress, for example, tends to be the corporate heads of these large companies, rather than current or former employees who do a lot of the grunt work. I don't know if these people who lodge complaints or voice concerns are reluctant to testify at such hearings or maybe they've never been contacted in the first place.

Personally, I don't like the fact that Google, for instance, can do what amounts to 'contact tracing' on me as it pertains to my surfing and viewing habits online. I take it in stride though as a possible 'necessary evil', and fortunately, I haven't had many bad experiences with my computer getting infected with a virus because I happened to drift into an unsavory website. After 20 years online though, I've learned to recognize spam and shady posters, and I try to avoid them as much as possible. Facebook is another story. I haven't posted anything there in almost 6 months. I'm more addicted to BigSoccer, anyway! As for Amazon, well, I do shop there on occasion, especially during the 'Days of Pandemic', but I don't have a Prime account, since my needs over the years have drastically changed from what I think I want to what I actually need.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like Northwestern's chances this year.

Oh, I thought it was the Big Ten Thread.

Okay, I know less about Big Tech than I do about college sports...except both are evil, both suck and both tend to control people's lives.

Edit: reading the first two posts, there is not much with which I disagree.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will also add that the companies have gotten so big that they are anti-competitive. Both in that it is almost impossible to compete with them, but also that they have so much money that they are buying out and shutting down companies that could become competitors for them. A lot of the crap they've done in the last decade or so would have gotten companies that are in "traditional" markets in tons of trouble and, likely, would have resulted in at least wrist slaps..

xtomx and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the rope...:p

I have lived and worked in the Valley of Hearts Delight (prior name of Silicon Valley) since the 60s (started working in aerospace in the 80s and transitioned to tech in the late 90s). Please don't let a few company founders think the "valley" is more libertarian than liberal. You would be wrong.

Yes, there are many who come to the valley who work long hours and are chasing a big paycheck. However, the majority are smart and often independent thinkers who understand the challenges of Big Tech. While I have not worked at a Big Tech company (Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon), I know many that do and enjoy working for the company. Some do not and have moved on. However, it's really no different than any tech company.

While I'm personally open to some form of regulation (US monopoly laws don't work), what do you see as the biggest threat from the companies? Is it lack of competition? Allowing content which is hateful or promotes violence? Other?

I would say one of the biggest issues is that content delivery has gone from the professional "news" to other sources which allow open content such as Facebook. Do you think regulating Facebook is going to stop and any such site going to stop the content proliferation? Who is going to make the decision on right or wrong? US, China, Saudia Arabia? Will it stop "good" content?

celito and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I completely agree - that's the problem with winner take all economics, and anticompetitive practices in terms of M&A.

That is why Tiktok is interesting - its the first genuine competitor to facebook, youtube and twitter for a long time.

7. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of issues.

In general, go watch "The Social Dillema" on (ironically) Netflix. The main issue is that the platforms have determined that they make the most money by keeping you online a lot, and they are using big data and patterns and AI to feed you (the consumer) the article/movie/thread most likely to keep you online. Our brains and society haven't figured out how to remedy this. And there is no regulation against collecting, aggregating, and selling all the personal information that makes this possible. Europe passed the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) but we've nothing like it, even though we have the bill of rights...

Other issues are ripe for monopoly-busting. I mean, Alphabet has what, Google, Youtube, YoutubeTV, Android, Chromebooks, Cloud, Maps - think of the market share and the information they have on people. Amazon is the biggest store in the world and the largest cloud provider with AWS. Microsoft was almost broken up with a much smaller part of the market. These companies are also buying up and shutting down competition and performing other anti-competetive practices.

Personally, I'm in favor of more regulations on what, how much, and how long these companies can store my data. I'm in favor of more regulations on what these companies can automate/curate to push into my feed. I'm in favor of breaking up and walling off these big tech companies into more specific companies and "undo" some of the mergers and acquisitions like Google/Youtube and Facebook/Instagram.

But then, I'm not rich and don't have any lawyers - and the only ones with any money right now appear to be the FANG group again.

QuakeAttack and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I guess to be specific, is that for a long while many of us believed these companies really believed in "do no evil". I really don't believe that anymore. Facebook is evil IMO.

I agree about workers though. I have friends at all those companies, and the work culture is generally liberal.

The biggest issue I see is lack of competition.

e.g. Amazon has the most successful cloud company (AWS) and the commerce platform, but also competes as a vendor on its own platform. IMO it needs to be broken into 2 companies, AWS and Amazon platform. It should not be allowed to be a vendor.

I think the content issue is more difficult. But the biggest problem is Google and Facebook controlling two thirds of the digital ad spend. How we regulate around this is a headache

But personally I think they have to be platforms or media companies but not both.

I think in this space the key is to make facebook be either a platform or a media/content organisation. If they are just a platform, then they cannot be in charge of what gets promoted via the Algo. If they are a media company, then they have to be editorially responsible - like a TV company or print media.

I agree its hard

QuakeAttack repped this.
  9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TikTok absolutely is not a competitor with any of those. It filled the hole left by Vine when Twitter bought and then crushed it. You could argue that it's short form videos are tangentially a competitor to Twitter, but it's only tangentially so. TikTok and Twitter have very different use cases and, so far, TikTok hasn't gotten to the point where you can have "discussions" like you can on Twitter. It just isn't set-up for that use case.

10. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    It's the Tech thread.

[​IMG]

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Disagree

Tiktok is increasingly recognised as the UGC platform with by far the best video experience and Algo - of course it lacks the scale right now compared to the big 3 but that is why they are frightened of it, and of course they can't just easily catch and kill it like Insta or Vine

12. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree on data privacy. We are not moving fast enough on protecting our data. Part of the reason I never joined Facebook and other platforms is data privacy (and the fact that I am anti-social). ML needs big data sets and is really the next big push for Big Tech. They need big data sets to train their algorithms for ML. It really puts smaller start up's to a disadvantage.

There needs to be standard framework to manage and control data which allow the data owners to share their data as appropriate. For example, I share data with Google because I want to use some of their services. Is it the right thing? Probably not, but I will to take the risk with them because I'm more familiar with their data and security practices than other companies. Facebook? Hell no. Most social platforms. Hell no.

The challenge is market segmentation. You mention Google and Youtube. Google's main business started with search/advertisement and business applications (G-Suite, etc.). Youtube is a content platform. Should Google be limited to only certain market segments? I guess that you could argue that Youtube helps their search business by driving eyes to their site, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the fundamental search platform.

I want go down the whole innovation discussion as it has been well worn down, but their are valid concerns with impact to innovation by market segmentation.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is fair and would address some of the concerns around technology leveraging/driving content inappropriately. Additionally, it would still give them the opportunity to go into other business markets, just not content management.

Now, we could have a whole separate thread on media companies and editorial responsible.

14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The Big Soccer powers that be think they might want to join Big Tech so they designed a test to see which group of Mods were qualified to run with it. :whistling:

DILBERT.jpg
    Referee Mods......World Rivalries Mods....PC&E Mods

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I disagree. It is a competitor to FB, Google (YT)...it may not be a similar service, but anything that occupies someone's free time is a competitor. All of these social media tools measure how long you stay on their platform. If you're spending more time in a new one, naturally you will spend less in another.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s certainly a unique definition since that would mean sports, sleeping, eating, working, commuting, etc, etc would be competitors to FB and YT..

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn’t apply to private companies.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's real threat is to become the dominant consumer entertainment app - especially amongst the most valuable younger demos - with an Algo that learns about you in a more advanced way than FB.

One of the reasons FB has a stranglehold on digital ads is they have all the users in a walled garden and the interest targeting is seriously good.

Of course scale is the big question. Tiktok is already twice as big as Snap which has stalled out - but 500m users is still small compared with over 2bn for FB (if you believe that)

All of this is of course precisely why Zuck has attacked Tiktok and Microsoft wanted to buy it

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Search is a great example of how Google is killing innovation by cross subsidising search from it's ad revenue business.

It should be possible to launch paid for search products where the company does not get your data - and results are not contaminated with recommendations Google is financially incentivised to make, or determines based on "reasons" - i would buy it.

There are some current efforts to launch such a product.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know.
    I was aping what I expect to be the anticipated response.
    Should have used quotes and an emoji. Sorry.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Or the deep state!!!!

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Each time I hear FB etc proclaiming "we are just a platform" to defend their policies it makes my blood boil.

What kind of society would we have by now if the MSM had taken the same approach since their founding, and just published unfiltered anonymous shyte from their readers?

ok. mini-rant over ....

Can someone provide a words-of-one-syllable explanation of the legalities that allow the Techs to get away with this and are not held to the same standard as a newspaper ?

bigredfutbol and usscouse repped this.
  25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Money!

hmm 2 syllables damn.