The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A curious trend is developing. James horsfield is the latest of a group of young English players that prefer to sign a contract with Dutch Eredivisieclubs with lower paychecks than to stay in England.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  3. longsocks

longsocks Member

Mar 25, 2016
  4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    #2054 wellno, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    That says the elite league is for players born 1 January 1997 or later. So the U20s will be U21 players and the U21s will be U22 players... At least that classification will be useful in the second year of the U21 cycle when it's U23 and a lot of the best U21 players currently spend a year in limbo before the next cycle starts.

I guess our squad will be a mix of 98s and the best of the 97s who don't make the U21 cut. It'll be good to keep more 97s involved. If the FA wanted to they could schedule U20 friendlies for the 98s as normal and have a full squad of 97s for the elite league games.

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It does, but the FA's page specifically says that their under-20/European Elite League group is for players born on or after 1 Jan 1998. Could be a mistake on the FA page, could be a mistake on the KNVB page re the eligibility rules of the EEL, or it might mean that we're voluntarily taking a younger squad.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    As an aside, does anyone find it odd that some groups have "in possession coaches", some groups have "out of possession coaches", and some have both? Not that I'd want to imply that Aidy Boothroyd could use any help with his fluid attacking football.

EDIT: Just saw zXen's post in the under-21 thread. Not just me then.

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  8. longsocks

longsocks Member

Mar 25, 2016
    your guess is as good as mine. it just seems strange that city are saying nothing regarding sancho's situation. and we know sancho & nelson are good mates. it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he did end up at the goonies. cant really see him at spurs dortmund are sniffing aswell.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Moving to Arsenal from City for game time would be an odd choice.

Garibaldi11 and hussar repped this.
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Some Levy quotes about spend/giving academy options chances -

Levy said: "Our position on transfers is that we have a coach who very much believes in the academy, so unless we can find a player that makes a difference we would rather give one of our young academy players a chance.

"The academy is important because if we produce our own players we don't have to spend £20m or £30m on a player.

"An academy player has that affinity with the club and that's what the fans want to see."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40722879

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly just speculation again but The Sun posted 2 hours ago:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...r-17-year-old-academy-wonderkid-jadon-sancho/

12. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    He would be in Arsenal's League Cup/Europa League/early rounds of the FA Cup squad. He'd be in Manchester City's U23 squad and maybe get 10 minutes off the bench in the League Cup. He's wouldn't be a first team regular but it's not an odd move at all for game time.

13. David Brooks

David Brooks Member

Jun 23, 2017
    He ought to talk to Willock or Crowley about opportunities at Arsenal...
    This is a controversial view, but I have my doubts about Sancho. From everything I have seen, he essentially has one move. He takes the ball about 25 metres from goal near the left touchline then toys with defender feinting left and right, but then almost always cuts inside. He then runs across field before looking for a pass or shot. He almost never goes down the line because his left foot is strictly for standing on. I fear he may find that at the top level, defenders will simply show him the outside. I remember that Sterling had a similar MO at youth level. But he rarely is allowed to cut inside in the Premier League. Until I see signs that Sancho has another trick in his bag, I will remain sceptical because while he has skills, he is not as fast as Sterling which limits his options even more.

14. David Brooks

David Brooks Member

Jun 23, 2017
    And - if he goes to Arsenal you would have to question the advice he is getting. If he is truly interested in opportunities, go to a smaller club, or ideally to Spurs, who are not buying overseas and would therefore not crowd him out.

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    'Everything you've seen' can't amount to very much.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #2066 sharpovic, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Messi always cuts inside that was never a problem. so does Robben. Besides Sancho doesn't have a bad left foot. could be improved but he does use his left foot. Besides, Sancho actually goes inside and outside.

17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Or he could talk to Reiss Nelson, Alex Iwobi and Ainsley Maitland-Niles... even Willock or Crowley would be able to talk about a more positive experience at Arsenal than someone like Brandon Barker at Man City.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We are losing ox and potentially theo

Need some English kids

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't see Sancho having the same problem as Willock or Crowley. And he's a better player than the disappointing Sterling. But he IS restricted in being so focused on kicking the ball with the one foot. As ever, I wonder what the coaches have been doing all these years, and all those hours of doing video analysis of performance.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You can have Brandon Barker :thumbsup:

thebigman repped this.
  21. longsocks

longsocks Member

Mar 25, 2016
  22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    wouldn't say Sterling is disappointing. Sancho is not one footed.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  24. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't recall Sir Alex Ferguson having a problem playing youngsters when he was Manchester United manager and they are a far bigger club than Chelsea, but like I said before Chelsea's academy is nothing more than a glorified puppy farm, because unless you have the talent of a 16/17 year old Wayne Rooney then you have next to no chance of making it there, because despite what they say there academy is just a money making venture, and if they happen to produce a Rooney like talent then that is just a bonus, P.S if Mason Mount has any sense, if his loan spell in Holland is a success, he should not follow the RLC and Brown route, by keep signing contract extendions then going out on loan, he should do what Solanke has done and jump ship to another club and make a name for himself away from Chelsea.

thebigman, Marcho Gamgee and hussar repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a shame really

Not many kids will get a chance in this high pressure sky league where every game is aparently a big one