The best players of the season 2003-4

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Mar 21, 2020.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #26 carlito86, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Impressive but off topic

R9 was an impressive spectacle but at the end of 99% of his inter dribbling runs was a wayward shot or misplaced pass
    All those ball hogging entitlements resulted in less open play goals as bierhoff
    And as many assists

Why is the value of a striker who completes a gazillion dribbling runs but only scores 1-2 solo goal
    More valuable than a static striker who hardly dribbles but scores more with his head
    Acrobatic finishes
    Is less wasteful
    Etc...
    ?

2018/19 isnt even the 10th best league season of Cristiano ronaldo
    You are comparing the best of R9 to the 11th best of a 34 year old Cristiano
    Nice:thumbsup:

C.Ronaldo is his prime 09-15 wasnt outscored by anyone except Messi
    Not in la liga
    And not in the champions league
    That is half a dozen seasons

They aren't in the same stratosphere
    Neither in finishing or playmaking
    Neither in peak or longevity

QUOTE="Tropeiro, post: 38612747, member: 312073"]Of course R9 was more fouled and completed more dribbles per 90 at that time than CR7 did now.[/QUOTE]
    Data???

Even if its 'obvious'
    Your arguments are entirely constructed around
    advanced statistics
    KPG
    xG
    Xa

Where is it?
    Are you making the case that R9 was more visually impressive based on YouTube comps?

What makes you think R9 in 97/98 Serie A was markedly more prolific at dribbling then he was at the 98 World cup?
    His opta stats are readily accessible

R9(if i recall correctly) completed around 2 dribbles per game in the 98 world cup
    Is this a generational dribbler in his prime?

Pick any R9 97/98 comp you can find and identify with timestamps places where he dribbles 2-3 players in 1 run
    A dribble mind you
    Not a sprint

You will not find any against Milan
    Or juventus

You will find hardly any in serie A
    You will find plenty in the UEFA cup against schalke,neuchatel,Strasbourg,Spartak Moscow

Forget Cristiano (momentarily)
    Was euesbio a static striker?
    When was prime euesbio at league level ever outscored by a vastly inferior striker
    When?
    It never happened not even once from 1963-1968

R9 was never (not during his prime or after it) a clear step above his peers as a finisher
    I dont care about conversion rate
    Im talking about his all round ability as a goalscorer

R9 was outscored by bierhoff in serie A because the former was completely inept in the air
    All those extra goals that GOAT level scorers notch up
    Those headers
    Those FKs
    Those acrobatic finishes
    1 touch finishes
    Volleys
    R9 wasn't distinguished at those which is why he never really excelled above his peers when it came to goalscoring

The difference between the best and the rest during 95-05 wasnt as vast as many revisionists (like you and others)would suggest

I already know all the arguments you will use:

Bierhoff was a static limited striker
    'Reliant on service
    R9 carried the inter attack all by himself
    Created all his chances,all his penalties,all his freekicks

Ok

R9 was also the main designated set piece taker of his team
    Hogging Both penalties and freekicks
    I don't recall bierhoff taking FKs
    Ok fine bierhoff 97/98 was a fluke
    Let's move on

How did signori outscore R9 in the coppa Italia?
    How did suker outscore R9 in the world cup?
    Was R9 leading the Brazilian attack all by himself !!!
    A one man team!!!!

How did Guivarc'h outscore R9 in the UEFA cup?

What are the chances a GOAT level scorer in his absolute prime being outscored in not one
    Not 2
    Not 3
    But 4 different competitions in a single season

Could you imagine the field day maradona fans would have if during any prime season let alone arguably the best ever season of pele he was outscored
    Not just in the campeonato paulista
    but also the copa libertadores
    The intercontinental cup
    The world cup
    Taca Brazil
    All in a single season!!!!

Pele just wouldn't be Pele if this ever happened at a time he was supposed to be in his prime

R9 never reigned dominant(his productivity was just never at that level)

Isaías Silva Serafim and Trachta10 repped this.
  2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Guys, please. I obviously made a mistake in mentioning Ronaldo but unless it’s specifically related to his form in the 03/04 season, leave it out of here.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    OK, sorry, but I hope the analogy between 'best defense' and 'best attack' makes sense (best three attackers but not the record).

Interestingly, in the background I listened to a podcast where Philippe Auclair is talking (about cricket, Cantona, Clos Rougeard etc.) and he said Bergkamp was the best and most impressive footballer he saw live, but of course he is an Arsenal fan.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...cantona-and-board-games-football-weekly-extra

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Auclair

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It wasn't aimed at you and it does make sense here.

I'll have to listen to this. I really like Philippe when he's on Football Weekly and his stuff in France Football. He just recently started following me on twitter which was nice and I was talking to him briefly on there last night. Seems to be something of a polymath and always comes across very well.

I think I've only ever seen Bergkamp once and it wasn't memorable but then Arsenal were very poor that day (a defeat away at Blackburn in 2002-3) and Henry, Pires etc weren't impressive either. I can well imagine he would be exceptional to watch in close quarters.

5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes for me he was a genuine great (and no, there haven't been more than 10 'greats' since the 1988 generation) and a valuable player at real top teams for quite some time. From valuable cameos in Ajax their 1986-87 CW Cup win to game winning contributions to Arsenal's CL final in 2005-06 (although his last strong season was the previous one). Definitely made a positive impression when I saw him.

There have been players like Hazard too, who look better live. Zidane too, I have to say, impressed me more live (was at the euro 2000 final like I said in the past). Nedved I can't remember but undoubtedly a genuine standout player and a great or 'master' if you like (maybe you remember I always valued him highly, with the 'facts' in his favor).

For me Seedorf is a great as well, but I got to see this better near the end of his Milan career and then at Botafogo his influence. He was, or still is?, the player with the most assists for Italian clubs in the Champions League by 2014, despite often not having that job. One of the things is here also his appearance stat during the Berlusconi era (great wiki page!) - and then he had career and body of work well before that with multiple Champions Leagues, multiple semi finals with the national team, multiple league titles, cup titles (or finals like 2000, in which he scored), ESM team of the month inclusion for four teams before Milan, the obvious statistical influence, and by then he had already played different positions at a high level. It's clear to see he had his tangible contribution in ending Real Madrid's 32 years EC drought. He also played 6 games in Real Madrid's 2000 win (after the mid season break they stuttered and puffed to the win), so it could have been five medals. Really a pretty unique career, and in a podcast of about a year ago (wasn't it Zonal Marking?) I heard Tom Williams saying how in control he looks live.

Here is a really great Italian article that appeared two days ago, with gifs (the introduction plus conclusion) @PDG1978

https://www.ultimouomo.com/come-gio...-pallone-filtrante-in-profondita-per-serginho

The 'incident' mentioned there in the intro was this:
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/10/ita...dorf-explains-substitution-delay-during-milan

PDG1978 and comme repped this.
  6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Leading assist providers across the 5 major leagues:

La Liga

Figo - 11

Ibagaza - 11

De la Pena - 10

Victor Sanchez - 10

Xavi - 9

Aimar - 9

Vicente - 9

Beckham - 9

Victor - 8

Sales - 8

Zidane - 8

Duda - 8

Etxeberria - 8

Premier League

Izzet - 14

Di Canio - 12

Giggs - 11

Emerton - 11

Malbranque - 10

Kevin Davies - 9

Duff - 9

Barry - 8

Pires - 8

Bergkamp - 7

Gerrard - 7

Tugay - 7

Saha -7

Serie A

Baggio - 11

Amantino Mancini - 10

Jorgenson - 9

Cassano - 8

Marchionni - 8

Nedved - 8

Rui Costa - 7

Totti - 7

Signori - 7

Pirlo - 7

Bundesliga

Ballack - 12

Klasnic - 11

Franca - 11

D’Alessandro - 11

Ernst - 11

Wosz - 9

Ze Roberto - 9

Heldt - 8

Robson Ponte - 8

Mahdavikia - 8

Ailton - 8

Oliseh - 8

Babic - 8

Ligue 1

Lachuer - 15

Rothen - 13

Monterrubio - 11

Fiorese - 11

Juninho - 9

Thomert - 9

Brunel - 8

Malouda - 8

Le Pen - 8

Pedretti - 7

Drogba - 7

Frau - 7

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Clean sheets

La Liga

Canizares - 20

Molina - 15

Valdes - 13

Reina - 10

Esteban - 9

Sanzol - 9

Bizzarri - 9

Aranzubia - 8

Cavallero - 8

Almunia - 8

Lainez - 8

Premier League

Van der Sar - 15

Lehmann - 15

Cudicini - 14

Taylor - 14

Schwarzer - 13

Sorensen - 12

Howard - 12

Given - 11

Dudek - 11

Kiely - 10

Jasskeleinen -10

Martyn - 10

Serie A

Pelizzoli - 19

Dida - 15

Toldo - 14

De Sanctis 12

Marchegiani - 11

Buffon - 11

Antonioni - 10

Belardi - 8

Frey - 8

Rossi - 7

Peruzzi - 7

Bundesliga

Hildebrand - 18

Van Duijnhoven - 15

Butt - 13

Reinke - 13

Kahn - 10

Rost - 9

Wessels - 8

Wiese - 7

Ziegler - 7

Ligue 1

Coupet - 18

Flavio Roma - 16

Jerome Alonzo - 16

Landreau - 14

Wimbee - 14

Trevisan - 13

Cool - 13

Itandje - 13

Gregorini - 12

Rame - 12

Cech - 12

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #35 PuckVanHeel, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Yeah I mentioned it earlier but this and this were interesting videos on that. To a great degree the role of overlaps on the left was performed interchangeably by Henry and Pires together. Ashley Cole but also the 'forward' Bergkamp or Reyes took care of the security, spatial occupation and balance.

@PDG1978 A podcast has appeared today about this season (from 22:30 onward)
    https://audioboom.com/posts/7554542-eight-more-votes-than-theo-zagorakis

In this it is mentioned that next to Henry there was enough quality in the spine (26:50 - "Campbell, Vieira and obviously Bergkamp"), but overall they can't quite get to an explanation for Henry not winning the BdO.

I think Cox is here (and in his book) a bit harsh on Van Nistelrooij. You can say he was selfish, but at the same time Scholes says in his soccerbox episode that he enjoyed his best season (and phases) with Van Nistelrooij. Earlier in his career he co-existed with Nilis, and to a degree he even helped to give a second life to Raul his career, who came off from some unproductive seasons and difficulties to play alongside Ronaldo, but found the way up again in 2006. Also for the national team he was often (not always) able to function with other productive players behind, or productive players on the wing. Here in the season review of 2003-04 his commentary on C. Ronaldo (at 1:20:30), after one of Ronaldo's four assists this season.

This brings me to another strange observation, the surprisingly poor ratings of 'golden boy' Raul Gonzalez by the Spanish press itself (from 2003 onward).
    http://www.dbscalcio.it/sn-schedaCalciatore.php?nomePlayer=Gonzalez Blanco&cognomePlayer=Raul&dataNascitaPlayer=27-06-1977

I'd guess the ratings are much better before 2003 (he wins the Don Balon trophy for Spanish player a few times; profile here with "despite the unerring bias of the Spanish press and his team-mates, the rest of Europe isn't convinced"), but this looks very extreme to me. Even slightly later it looks very mediocre (except 2007-08 when he's 4th in his position). It's really a noticeable thing (25th, 28th, 27th, 27th, 4th, 19th, 28th in his Madrid seasons after 2003). Yet at the same time he did 'survive' there while we all know cases like Baggio (after 1994) and Riquelme where it's less clear they maintained themselves at top clubs (of course, Real Madrid had after ~1990 no near-monopoly any more on the title, where they win it once in every two years).

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #36 PuckVanHeel, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Yesterday they showed an excellent 30+ minutes compilation of him. Remarkably, before the age of 20 he was an amateur.
    https://www.gids.tv/tv-gids/uitzending-gemist/de-premier-league-days-van-edwin-van-der-sar/2802021

He had a few really impressive saves and double saves I think. That Arsenal game popped up too and Henry, Pires and Bergkamp (pass to Ljungberg here) were actually in good form that day.

He was perhaps more athletic when he was younger, later on he was still good thanks to his positioning, timing and organizing skills. There is an outtake/quote by him though where he says: "I could have gone to Manchester United in 1999, just after they had won everything there is to win. At hindsight it was the wrong choice. If you really dissect and analyse it, and look at the numbers I don't think it was awful, but the Italian culture is many newspapers, a lot of media, big attention and for non-football reasons I didn't always come out rosy of this, and that is what I eventually found hard to cope with it and gave an attitude to. At ambitious Fulham I wanted a break, build up a new and different career. But yes the real performance level, the top level, becoming better every day, that is what you miss in your team mates. Eventually I felt my level slowly regressed in the last year [2004-05], and that is what you need to be sharp about. I want to go back to my best and how do I get there."

https://www.mylondon.news/sport/foo...ormer-manchester-united-keeper-edwin-14401442

Maybe it was mere coincidence (and not doubting he was very good at his peak) but he saved and corrected a number of clear-cut mistakes by Rio Ferdinand (underhit back passes; passing straight into the feet of opponents etc.). Vidic much less so. All in all I was impressed (and more unfamiliar) by the Fulham scenes.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I agree, I think Van Nistelrooy was single-minded rather than individualistic.

It's pretty understandable that Van Nistelrooy would be frustrated to lose Beckham, probably the best crosser in history, and have him replaced by Ronaldo who was a fair less consistent supply line at this stage in his career.

I do think Van Nistelrooy's all-round game is a bit underrated as well. When Berbatov first came to Spurs he reminded me of Van Nistelrooy quite a bit in some of his link-up play and movement.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He was not seen as the 'ideal type' striker as Van Basten, Kluivert and RvP were (even Depay now, who mostly does that well in that role), or Lewandowki as the international standard 'ideal type' striker, but to a large extent the repeat-narrative and trope of "number nine has to make space for the number ten" also applies to him and what he did with e.g. Scholes as high scoring midfielder/forward behind him - and vice versa. This was even clearer in Champions League games where he had a respectable amount of assists (not just lay-offs but also passes in the deep).

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I've really struggled once again with the ratings for this season:

Timo Hildebrand (Stuttgart and Germany) 34 games, 0 goals **

Vitor Baia (Porto and Portugal) 31 games, 0 goals **

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain) 37 games, 0 goals **

Ivan Pelizzoli (Roma and Italy) 31 games, 0 goals **

Santiago Canizares (Valencia and Spain) 37 games, 0 goals **

Gregory Coupet (Lyon and France) 35 games, 0 goals **

Dida (Milan and Brazil) 32 games, 0 goals **

Sebastian Frey (Parma and France) 33 games, 0 goals *

Petr Cech (Rennes and Czech Republic) 33 games, 0 goals *

Carlo Cudicini (Chelsea and Italy) 26 games, 0 goals *

Gigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy) 32 games, 0 goals *

Jens Lehmann (Arsenal and Germany) 38 games, 0 goals *

Edwin van der Sar (Fulham and Netherlands) 37 games, 0 goals *

Luca Marchegiani (Chievo and Italy) 29 games, 0 goals HM

Antti Niemi (Southampton and Finland) 28 games, 0 goals HM

Tim Howard (Manchester United and USA) 32 games, 0 goals HM

Rein van Duijnhoven (Bochum and Netherlands) 34 games, 0 goals HM

Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio and Italy) 27 games, 0 goals 6.35 HM

Dean Kiely (Charlton and Republic of Ireland) 37 games, 0 goals HM

Victor Valdes (Barcelona and Spain) HM

Jose Francisco Molina (Deportivo la Coruna and Spain) HM

Pepe Reina (Villarreal and Spain) HM

Flavio Roma (Monaco)

Full-back

Paulo Ferreira (Porto and Portugal) 32 games, 0 goals ***

Ashley Cole (Arsenal and England) 30 games, 0 goals ***

Maxwell (Ajax and Brazil) 31 games, 2 goals **

Cafu (Milan and Brazil) 28 games, 1 goal **

Michel Salgado (Real Madrid and Spain) 35 games, 1 goal *

Lauren (Arsenal and Cameroon) 31 games, 0 goals *

Gary Neville (Manchester United and England) 30 games, 2 goals *

Amedeo Carboni (Valencia and Italy) 33 games, 0 goals *

Philipp Lahm (Stuttgart and Germany) 31 games, 1 goal *

Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid and Brazil) 32 games, 5 goals *

Bernard Mendy (PSG and France) 33 games, 0 goals *

Patrice Evra (Monaco and France) 33 games, 0 goals *

Nuno Valente (Porto and Portugal) 27 games, 0 goals HM

Miguel (Benfica and Portugal) 30 games, 2 goals HM

Wayne Bridge (Chelsea and England) 33 games, 1 goal HM

Marek Jankulovski (Udinese and Czech Republic) 32 games, 6 goals HM

Christian Panucci (Roma and Italy) 24 games, 2 goals HM

Andreas Hinkel (Stuttgart and Germany) 28 games, 0 goals HM

Curro Torres (Valencia and Spain) 30 games, 1 goal HM

Massimo Oddo (Lazio and Italy) 31 games, 1 goal HM

Joan Capdevila (Deportivo la Coruna and Spain) 27 games, 4 goals HM

Centre-back

Alessandro Nesta (Milan and Italy) 26 games, 0 goals 6.60 ***

Ricardo Carvalho (Porto and Portugal) 29 games, 2 goals ***

Roberto Ayala (Valencia and Argentina) 30 games, 1 goal ***

Sol Campbell (Arsenal and England) 33 games, 1 goal **

Walter Samuel (Roma and Argentina) 30 games, 1 goal **

Paolo Maldini (Milan and Italy) 30 games, 0 goals **

Jorge Andrade (Deportivo la Coruna and Portugal) 37 games, 0 goals **

Jaap Stam (Lazio and Netherlands) 29 games, 2 goals **

Carles Puyol (Barcelona and Spain) 27 games, 0 goals **

Christian Chivu (Roma and Romania) 22 games, 2 goals *

Marcelo Bordon (Stuttgart and Brazil) 24 games, 4 goals *

John Terry (Chelsea and England) 33 games, 2 goals *

Lucio (Bayer Leverkusen and Brazil) 27 games, 3 goals *

Juan (Bayer Leverkusen and Brazil) 29 games, 2 goals *

Mladen Krstajic (Werder Bremen and Serbia) 30 games, 3 goals *

Sebastien Squillachi (Monaco and France) 27 games, 5 goals *

Mario Yepes (Nantes and Colombia) 29 games, 0 goals *

Kolo Toure (Arsenal and Ivory Coast) 34 games, 1 goal *

William Gallas (Chelsea and France) 29 games, 0 goals *

Olof `Mellberg (Aston Villa and Sweden) 28 games, 1 goal HM

Carlos Marchena (Valencia and Spain) 31 games, 2 goals HM

Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough and England) 27 games, 1 goal HM

Gabriel Heinze (PSG and Argentina) 33 games, 2 goals HM

Nestor Sensini (Udinese and Argentina) 25 games, 2 goals HM

Per Kroldrup (Udinese and Denmark) 30 games, 2 goals HM

Matteo Ferrari (Parma and Italy) 33 games, 1 goal HM

Alessandro Costacurta (Milan and Italy) 22 games, 0 goals HM

Luigi Di Biagio (Brescia and Italy) 31 games, 7 goals HM

John Heitinga (Ajax and Netherlands) 26 games, 3 goals HM

Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht and Belgium) 29 games, 2 goals HM

Sami Hyypia (Liverpool and Finland) HM

Defensive Midfielder

Costinha (Porto and Portugal) 27 games, 2 goals **

Gennaro Gattuso (Milan and Italy) 33 games, 1 goal **

David Albelda (Valencia and Spain) 33 games, 1 goal **

Fabian Ernst (Werder Bremen and Germany) 33 games, 2 goals **

Claude Makelele (Chelsea and France) 30 games, 0 goals **

Gilberto Silva (Arsenal and Brazil) 32 games, 4 goals *

Zvonimir Soldo (Stuttgart and Croatia) 33 games, 4 goals *

Mauro Silva (Deportivo la Coruna and Brazil) 27 games, 0 goals *

Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux and France) 33 games, 2 goals *

Lucas Bernardi (Monaco and Argentina) 33 games, 2 goals *

Frank Baumann (Werder Bremen and Germany) 32 games, 2 goals HM

Central Midfielder

Andrea Pirlo (Milan and Italy) 32 games, 6 goals 6.48 ***

Patrick Vieira (Arsenal and France) 28 games, 3 goals ***

Edgar Davids (Juventus/Barcelona and Netherlands) 5 games, 0 goals for Juventus, 18 games, 1 goal for Barcelona ***

Maniche (Porto and Portugal) 31 games, 6 goals **

Emerson (Roma and Brazil) 33 games, 3 goals 6.39 **

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England) 34 games, 4 goals **

Roy Keane (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland) 28 games, 3 goals **

Xavi (Barcelona and Spain) 36 games, 4 goals *

Ruben Baraja (Valencia and Spain) 35 games, 8 goals *

Sergio Volpi (Sampdoria and Italy) 31 games, 1 goal *

Simone Perrotta (Chievo and Italy) 31 games, 1 goal *

Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich and Germany) 28 games, 7 goals *

David Beckham (Real Madrid and England) 32 games, 3 goals *

Scott Parker (Charlton/Chelsea and England) 20 games, 2 goals for Charlton, 11 games, 1 goal for Chelsea HM

Sergio (Deportivo la Coruna and Spain) 37 games, 3 goals HM

Simone Barone (Parma and Italy) 33 games, 3 goals HM

David Pizarro (Udinese and Chile) 19 games, 3 goals HM

Stefano Mauri (Brescia and Italy) 30 games, 3 goals HM

Philipp Cocu (Barcelona and Netherlands) 36 games, 5 goals HM

Michael Essien (Lyon and Ghana) 34 games, 3 goals HM

Gaizka Mendieta (Middlesbrough and Span) 31 games, 2 goals HM

Attacking Midfielder

Deco (Porto and Portugal) 28 games, 3 goals ***

Frank Lampard (Chelsea and England) 38 games, 10 goals ***

Kaka (Milan and Brazil) 30 games, 10 goals 6.55 ***

Johan Micoud (Werder Bremen and France) 32 games, 10 goals **

Juninho (Lyon and Brazil) 32 games, 10 goals **

Pablo Aimar (Valencia and Argentina) 25 games, 4 goals *

Fran Yeste (Athletic Bilbao and Spain) 30 games, 11 goals *

Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton and Nigeria) 35 games, 0 goals *

Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid and France) 33 games, 7 goals *

Matuzalem (Brescia and Brazil) 30 games, 3 goals *

Pavel Nedved (Juventus and Czech Republic) 30 games, 6 goals *

Stefano Fiore (Lazio and Italy) 32 games, 8 goals HM

Muzzy Izzet (Leicester City and Turkey) 30 games, 2 goals HM

Steed Malbranque (Fulham and France) 38 games, 6 goals HM

Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax and Netherlands) 26 games, 7 goals HM

Wesley Sneijder (Ajax and Netherlands) 30 games, 9 goals HM

Juan Carlos Valeron (Deportivo la Coruna and Spain) 34 games, 3 goals HM

Alex Hleb (Stuttgart and Belarus) 31 games, 5 goals HM

Dmitri Loskov (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia) 30 games, 14 goals in 2003, 30 games, 4 goals in 2004 HM

Ariel Ibagaza (Atletico Madrid and Argentina) HM

Winger

Vicente (Valencia and Spain) 33 games, 12 goals ***

Robert Pires (Arsenal and France) 33 games, 13 goals ***

Ludovic Giuly (Monaco and France) 30 games, 13 goals ***

Jerome Rothen (Monaco and France) 34 games, 0 goals **

Luis Figo (Real Madrid and Portugal) 36 games, 9 goals **

Aimo Diana (Sampdoria and and Italy) 33 games, 5 goals 6.48 *

Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United and Portugal) 29 games, 4 goals *

Amantino Mancini (Roma and Brazil) 33 games, 8 goals *

Clarence Seedorf (Milan and Netherlands) 29 games, 3 goals *

Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City and England) 34 games, 7 goals *

Martin Jorgenson (Udinese and Denmark) 34 games, 3 goals *

Damien Duff (Chelsea and Republic of Ireland) 22 games, 5 goals *

Simao (Benfica and Portugal) 31 games, 12 goals HM

Victor Sanchez (Deportivo la Coruna and Spain) HM

Yann Lachuer (Auxerre and France) HM

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United and Wales) HM

Forward

Thierry Henry (Arsenal and France) 37 games, 30 goals ***

Francesco Totti (Roma and Italy) 31 games, 20 goals 6.63 ***

Ronaldinho (Barcelona and Brazil) 32 games, 15 goals ***

Javier Chevanton (Lecce and Uruguay) 30 games, 18 goals 6.53 **

Roberto Baggio (Brescia and Italy) 26 games, 12 goals 6.62 **

Antonio Cassano (Roma and Italy) 33 games, 14 goals 6.29 *

Wayne Rooney (Everton and England) 33 games, 9 goals *

Francesco Flachi (Sampdoria and Italy) 31 games, 11 goals 6.29 *

Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal and Netherlands) 28 games, 4 goals *

Paolo Di Canio (Charlton and Italy) HM

Striker

Andriy Shevchenko (Milan and Ukraine) 32 games, 24 goals 6.61 ***

Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Brazil) 32 games, 24 goals ***

Ailton (Werder Bremen and Brazil) 33 games, 28 goals ***

Didier Drogba (Marseille and Ivory Coast) 35 games, 19 goals ***

Alberto Gilardino (Parma and Italy) 34 games, 23 goals 6.48 **

Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich and Netherlands) 32 games, 23 goals

Alan Shearer (Newcastle and England) 37 games, 22 goals

Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United and Netherlands) 32 games, 20 goals *

Julio Baptista (Sevilla and Brazil) 30 games, 20 goals *

Djibril Cisse (Auxerre and France) 38 games, 26 goals *

Mateja Kezman (PSV Eindhoven and Serbia) 29 games, 31 goals *

Fernando Morientes (Monaco and Spain) 28 games, 10 goals *

Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid and Spain) 35 games, 20 goals *

Mista (Valencia and Spain) 33 games, 19 goals *

Adriano (Parma/Inter and Brazil) 9 games, 8 goals for Parma, 16 games, 9 goals for Inter *

Pierre van Hooijdonck (Fenerbahce and Netherlands) 34 games, 24 goals *

Henrik Larsson (Celtic and Sweden) 37 games, 30 goals *

Martin Max (Hansa Rostock and Germany) 33 games, 20 goals *

Benni McCarthy (Porto and South Africa) 29 games, 20 goals *

Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord and Netherlands) 34 games, 20 goals HM

Dimitar Berbatov (Bayer Leverkusen and Bulgaria) 33 games, 16 goals HM

Alex Frei (Rennes and Switzerland) 28 games, 19 goals HM

Mikael Forsell (Birmingham City and Finland) 32 games, 17 goals HM

Louis Saha (Fulham/Manchester United and France) 21 games, 13 goals for Fulham,12 games, 7 goals for Manchester United HM

David Trezeguet (Juventus and France) 25 games, 16 goals HM

Raul Tamudo (Espanyol and Spain) 32 games, 19 goals HM

Samuel Eto’o (Mallorca and Cameroon) 32 games, 17 goals HM

David Villa (Real Zaragoza and Spain) 38 games, 17 goals HM

Michael Owen (Liverpool and England) 29 games, 16 goals HM

Chris Sutton (Celtic and England) 25 games, 19 goals HM

Nicolas Anelka (Manchester City and France) 32 games, 16 goals HM

Juan Pablo Angel (Aston Villa and Colombia) 31 games, 16 goals HM

Bernardo Corradi (Lazio and Italy) 32 games, 10 goals 6.27 HM

Fabio Bazzani (Sampdoria and Italy) 32 games, 13 goals 6.27 HM

Franca (Bayer Leverkusen and Brazil) 33 games, 14 goals HM

Ivan Klasnic (Werder Bremen and Croatia) 29 games, 13 goals HM

PDG1978 and Tom Stevens repped this.
  15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    So I gave no world class ratings at Goalkeeper or Defensive Midfield. Is that fair?

My proposed world class ranking (I'm clear on the top 5, but not their order, and far from it on the rest):

1. Henry
    2. Deco
    3. Totti
    4. Shevchenko
    5. Ronaldinho
    6. Nesta
    7. Carvalho
    8. Vicente
    9. Pires
    10. Giuly
    11. Ayala
    12. Ronaldo
    13. Ailton
    14. Lampard
    15. Kaka
    16. Pirlo
    17. Vieira
    18. Davids
    19. Drogba

Perú FC and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #41 PuckVanHeel, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Why is Totti above Shevchenko I'm curious?

Why is Maxwell on two stars? That smells a bit like all the stuff where various other Eredivisie players get snubbed and then Romario (never more than 20 non-penalty goals in the league) ends up as the 2nd most included Eredivisie player in history. What is the reason for Lehmann ending up above VdS? There is a perennially low regard in certain circles for Holland players (certainly for a longer period of time in a player's career) and football, with figures as Henderson (who in the bigger games didn't play better than Fabinho or Gini) or De Rossi as beneficiaries of these cultural mechanisms. Personally I don't think Baggio was playing markedly better than Bergkamp either, although he did play the equivalent of 4-5 more matches (in minutes; I see now DBScalcio, using english newspapers, shows Rooney a fair bit lower). But as said, few benelux players were really at their best or peak fame this season.

I thought Chivu was a very good player for a prolonged period of time as well, one of the better yet unheralded defenders this decade. Played good in midfield at euro 2008 too.

Although RvN his DBScalcio rating is average, worth noting he scored 37 goals in all games, the same number as Ronaldo and Drogba, and 9 more than Shearer (although Shearer was retired for the NT at this point, and in Italy it's harder to score for Gilardino and Shevchenko).

17. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zidane's ESM TOTY would seem to indicate more than one star?

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    As I said earlier, I'm happy with any order for the top 5 (though think Henry probably deserves top spot). I think from an attacking sense, Shevchenko definitely had a better supporting cast but happy to put him anywhere between 1-5. To be honest, I'm not particularly happy with the world class ranking (and missed out Ferreira and Cole!).

He was a double player of the year at left-back which is very unusual but equally, I'm happy to downgrade him if he wasn't that good?

He's not. Where players are on the same number of stars, they're not necessarily any better than each other.

In terms of Michael's point, I think what he's trying to say is that basically every other elite Dutch player played for multiple big teams. If you take Robben for instance you lose Real Madrid, Bayern, Chelsea, PSV etc. If you take Van Basten or Rijkaard you lose Ajax and Milan, Koeman loses all the big Dutch teams plus Barcelona.

Well Baggio had an exceptionally high DBS rating, had a good number of goals and led the league in assists. All good reasons, particularly given Bergkamp didn't play all that much.

Completely agree but only 22 games. Look up my many comments on here saying he was one of the best midfielders at Euro 2008.

Could be worth an extra star. I missed two stars for Makaay and one for Shearer.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #44 PuckVanHeel, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    No, he was very good to be honest and noticeable for his position. Many left backs are not that noticeable. One of the best of his team and the league.

He had more thrust as later when he was near his thirties I think.

Okay, I see no Premier League goalkeeper is above one star. What are the grounds of skepticism to go above that for any of those?

Buffon was normally the best (arguably I think), but also he made errors leading to a goal or where he just doesn't look good in meaningful games. Someone like Casillas, Neuer has more of that reputation than Buffon though (thanks to games like the 2014 Pokal final, with a handful dangerous clearances and distribution).

Agree, I said myself above playing time is a reason for doubt.

I have to admit I had in my mind that (like many of his other seasons, for Brescia too) his goals involved a number of penalties but it appears that was not the case here. So that changes the equation enormously.

In terms of assists, there was from open play no difference although you can say it was harder in Italy. What I think Bergkamp was better at (did more often) was the unlocking pass before the final ball - Totti was the same - and there are a few sources showing that skill/role (although I don't have an approximate/exact number for Baggio here), and was in the end also less of a forward by this stage without ball. Over the full season (across all competitive games) Baggio had 25 starts vs 29 starts, 2142 minutes vs 2439 playing minutes.

I also think (as expressed often before) Baggio is a real candidate for best player of the 1990s (he was my pick, with priority to five years peak form, continental peak and national team peak), but at the same time there were issues to maintain himself at top teams after 1994 and as written down before, one could also make an opposite case.
    Show Spoiler
    Personally I named Roberto Baggio the player of the 1990s because of his peak form for club and country and symbolic value (thanks to aggressive marketing by IMG) - I prefer a five years window - but how can there be a debate for longevity?

Let's also not pretend Bergkamp had no effective skill. See this pass, or this skill, or this sublime skill (12:55) against Manchester United.

Games for a major club: 730+ for Bergkamp vs less than 330 for Baggio

Games at a major tournament: 25 for Bergkamp, 16 for Baggio

Continental finals: 6 for Bergkamp, 3 for Baggio (3 wins vs 1 win)

Major honors: 13 for Bergkamp, 4 for Baggio

Minor honors: 5 for Bergkamp, 0 for Baggio

National team semi finals: 3 for Bergkamp, 2 for Baggio (with one final)

Goals and assists against elite teams at major tournaments: 6 for Bergkamp, 2 for Baggio

Domestic player of the year honors: 3 for Bergkamp, 1 for Baggio
    (Bergkamp also PFA shortlisted for 1999 by the way, topped OPTA Index for the attackers; player of the month material as late as 2004)

Ballon d'Or: proportionally, with changing voter pools, Bergkamp wins clearly (both 6 times nominated)

ESM votes: 18 vs 11 in favor of Bergkamp

Career goals: 300+ for Bergkamp (less than 25 penalties), less than 320 goals for Baggio (113+ penalties)

Major topscorer honors: 5 for Bergkamp, 1 for Baggio

Assists: Bergkamp probably ahead; also in Serie A (Bergkamp 9 seasons with 10+ assists, Baggio three seasons). Bergkamp has only very few set piece assists (source: Aaron Nielsen) and about as many pre-assists in his Premier League career.

Influence and impact on teams: Bergkamp possibly more influential. For Baggio the win percentage is higher without him, for Bergkamp (also in Serie A) it is the opposite. That at - on average - for bigger teams.

Champions League man of the match candidate: at least 10+ games for The Iceman versus 2 at best for Baggio. Both first got to play there when they were 29 years old.

Peculiarly, the DBScalcio grade in this very last season is the 2nd highest of his career (behind 2000-01, his first Brescia season). It's a lot better as any of his Fiorentina, Juventus, Milan and Inter seasons somehow. It's 0.25 better as his great 1992-93, 0.30 better as the 2nd best, with the rest on 0.36 or further behind. But to be honest, I overlooked (and confused the seasons) the complete lack of penalties and that changes a lot.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He was four times part of the best defense in the Serie A. Once for Roma (a rarity for the club) and then three times for Inter. Never when he was playing for Ajax though.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Friedel and VdS are the only EPL goalkeepers to have both the most saves in a season and the most clean sheets in a season. Was he an Italian then he gets two stars by default.

Same sort of stuff as only getting one star for 1997-98 despite being the 2nd highest voted keeper in ESM (behind CL finalist Peruzzi) and behind tournament winner Barthez the highest European in the IFFHS keeper of the year vote. Or the bullocks that England had three times as many international class and world class players in 1993-94 (well, look at the continental trophies they won, the national team semis reached). Players and the football of the last 25-30 years are just categorically not rated by the usuals, and if they ever win a tournament again you can be sure it will be received like Denmark or Greece winning it. I take a pause now.

22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think that's a little unfair.

The goalkeeping situation in the PL is extremely difficult to pick through in terms of who was the best.

Howard was in the PFA team, Niemi in the Sky Sports team, Cudicini had the best % of clean sheets (14 in 26 games), Lehmann conceded the least goals per game, Dean Kiely had the best rating. Maik Taylor had one less clean sheet than Van der Sar but conceded less goals as well. Apparently 8 different keepers got votes in the Sky Sports team of the year polling.

VDS didn't get a single vote in the ESM polling (Friedel and Given both did, as well as Cudicini, Howard and Lehman).

In the circumstances I think it's hard to see VDS being markedly better than the rest of the pack.

I'm definitely happy to look at the ratings again for that season. Which particular Dutch players do you think are underrated for that season?

24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What makes it weirder is that Zidane's productivity this season (his 'weak' point) was hardly worse than the one of Lampard (his 'strong' point in a few seasons). Lampard has three more non-penalty goals in all competitions but Zidane eliminates the difference with his (open play) assists.

Kaka is a major exception, but of him it is arguable whether he was a midfielder or forward. He was not a like-for-like replacement for Rui Costa.

This is a graph by Ancelotti himself, in a later season.

On the same website another fine article by a different author (only used google translate) - I have above graph from this article
    Show Spoiler

Born ready
    At 37, Clarence Seedorf stopped playing football and started training. Let's retrace his career: from his debut with Ajax, to the triumphs with Real Madrid and Milan, until the retirement last week.

The most awaited game of the year is played at the Vicente Calderón stadium in Madrid on 18 January 1997: the derby. At the end of the first half, Atletico Madrid are 1-0 ahead of Real Madrid. In the interval, a small group forms inside the dressing room of Real Madrid. Footballers discuss what went wrong. At the center of the group is Clarence Seedorf, a newly arrived Dutch midfielder, twenty years old. Fabio Capello, the Real Madrid manager, furious at how he had played his team in the first half, approaches the group, shouting to the players what they were talking about and continues to scream, without listening to the answer. "If you know it so long, you are the coach!" He shouts in Seedorf, and according to story she pulls against his jacket. In the second half, Real Madrid overturns the result, scores four goals — one of them does Seedorf — and wins the game.

Louis van Gaal, Fabio Capello, Carlo Ancelotti, Guus Hiddink, Sven-Göran Eriksson, Marcello Lippi, Jupp Heynckes and Vicente del Bosque have at least two things in common. The first is that they are among the best football coaches of the past twenty years. The second is that everyone at some point in their career has been coach of Clarence Seedorf, who is now 37 years old and is the new Milan manager.
    [...]
    Suriname is a small republic of South America, squeezed between the two Guiana and Brazil, a Dutch colony from 1667 to 1954. Frederick Seedorf is the son of a freed slave: "Seedorf" was the surname of his master, a German. In 1979 his large family moved from Suriname to Holland: among them is his son, Johann Seedorf, and there is the son of his son, Clarence, three years old. They go to live in the Almere area, where a new city is being born. And they play football, everyone: Johann, Clarence, the various brothers as they are born, his cousin. At 10 years of age Clarence is noticed by Johan Cruyff's talent scout agency, who discovered most of the players who were part of the great Ajax of the nineties: three days a week he moved to Amsterdam, followed by coaches, he will tell, "Who teach life before football". It does the whole process of youth teams in Ajax. At 15 his family refused an offer from Real Madrid. At 16, in 1992, he joined the first team and became the youngest Ajax player to make his league debut. In January 1993 his name appears for the first time in an Italian newspaper: Repubblica defines him "the universal Seedorf", he writes that he plays as a center forward in the Dutch under 18 and was deployed as a full back in his European debut.

The Ajax of those years is one of the strongest teams in Europe. Louis van Gaal trains it, plays with 3-3-1-3 and Seedorf — who kicks indifferently with his right and left and really knows do it all - it happens to play everywhere, even if most of the time it is deployed as the top vertex of the midfield, that is midfielder, or midfielder on the left. He is not a giant but he has strong and powerful legs, an excellent basic technique and above all the head of someone who is much more than 17 or 18 years old. In three seasons he plays 90 games and scores 11 goals; he wins two championships, a cup and a league super cup; above all he wins the Champions Cup, beating Milan in the final in Vienna. It is May 24, 1995, Seedorf is 19 years old. Two months later he is in Genoa, bought by Sampdoria di Mantovani for 7 billion lire. It is discontinuous but stands out, and confirms that he is a total player: one day the newspapers write that "he steals many balls, he does not miss a throw", another he writes that "he played for three, covering the whole arc of the attack, making the hairpin and also the defender". He comes from another world, Sven-Göran Eriksson helps him adapt. «I came from a country where people express their opinions. In Italy, however, the basic mentality is "shut up and run". When things go wrong, people don't talk in Italy: they lower their heads and work harder. In Holland when things go wrong you sit around a table to discuss until a solution is found. " At the end of the season Seedorf played 32 games and scored 4 goals, winning against Juventus and Milan. Fabio Capello wins the Scudetto with Milan, he moves to Real Madrid and takes it with him, bought by Sampdoria for 9 billion ("He personally asked me to go with him, I was a boy and it was very important for me").
    [...]
    At one point Seedorf talks about it with the press. «I told Tardelli that I would always like to play attacking midfielder. I know how to do a little bit of everything and this, paradoxically, has been a big problem for my career. Today's football lives on specialists. "
    [...]
    Seedorf remained at Milan ten years, from 2002 to 2012, becoming a piece of his history. He wins two Scudetto, an Italian Cup, two Italian and two European Super Cups, a club world championship; and two Champions League, which make him the only player to have won the maximum European trophy with three different teams. Play 432 games and score 62 goals, many of these beautiful, one 35 meters in the derby. Become the foreign player with the most appearances in the history of Milan, he also becomes the captain, he cries after an elimination from the Champions League. However, AC Milan fans will never treat him as a legend, as an untouchableon the contrary: part of the curve whistles it with a certain constancy and attaches hateful nicknames to it. More than racism, it's about being a different player , much more intelligent than the average - "opinionated", "arrogant", says those who do not appreciate him, and even those who esteem him call him "the professor" - and his breaks have to do with it. I once read on a social network: "Seedorf is the player with the largest delta between how well he plays when he plays well and how bad he plays when he plays badly." Indeed, Seedorf disappears every now and then. "Walk", say his detractors: he only plays big games and doesn't want to "waste talent" against small teams. Seedorf's version: «At Ajax I learned to intercept the passages without going to press the opponent, because I would have read the trajectory anyway. Many think that I am lazy because I run a little, but I run when needed. "
    [...]
    Jack Lang writes on ESPN . «Seedorf's intelligence proved to be his best weapon in those celebrated rugby matches that sometimes go through game contrasts in Brazil. Where other players just try to get the better of colossal physical battles, he plays simple and slips into the spaces. Play as calm as only a player in his 21st year of career knows. He prefers the economy of movements to shots. In a country famous for the technical caliber of its players, the advantage that it can give you some tactical cunning is surprising. » He scores 24 goals in 81 games — he plays 81 games, at 36 years old — and practically makes the second striker on the pitch. He had time to win a Carioca Championship and the prize for the best player in the league, then Milan's call came.
    https://www.ultimouomo.com/nato-pronto/

He was a lot busier than all of those, had the single game saves record (while maintaining the zero), most clean sheets with Lehmann. Maybe that he raised his level against the bigger teams and for the national team, and was less good against the smaller ones.

Taylor had to deal with 159 shots for example, 42 shots less, similar save percentage. Cudicini only 79 shots, and had a markedly lower save percentage as well.

It is of course possible that goalkeepers of certain teams have to save harder shots, often the bigger teams face easier shots, or the more defensive minded teams. I'd be surprised if Chelsea conceded far harder shots than Fulham did.

Also note here that while he joined the PL in his thirties, his save percentage was still great, page 43 of the link below. He had the most clean sheets for four different teams (Ajax, Juventus, Fulham, Manchester United), the least goals for three (minus Fulham), plus the euro record (shared with Casillas) and the Champions League stuff.

https://www.soccermetrics.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/EPL-20-Book.pdf
    (cross checking with OPTA here; there are very marginal differences like 157 vs 155 saves, both 78% save percentage - the margin of error looks small)

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...a7-1000--champions-league-goalkeeper-records/
    https://the18.com/soccer-news/goalkeepers-most-career-clean-sheets-soccer-history
    https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...entus-come-close-to-champions-league-records/

This is a good point, since he got his fair share of ESM votes in other seasons, even for Juventus (unhappy, but good stats, also compared with before/after him) and his solid last season.
    He's number two behind Buffon in inclusions (and this excludes 1993-1995); of course it helps to reach a few finals, but then again, by the time all of the '95 generation was retired only Maldini had started in more CL finals than VdS, Seedorf and Davids (since then Evra and Cristiano got in between this).

Numerically this is though the case for many seasons and tournaments, with goalkeepers.

For example Premier League 2018-19:
    https://www.premierleague.com/news/1197918

Example World Cup 2014:
    https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/world-cup-expected-goals-by-keeper

It just doesn't register there...

comme repped this.