The Best Players of the 1994 World Cup

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I would not be in favor of adjusting the ratings, especially since there are enough sources that the overall average varies almost nothing. I think it's not worth it in these cases....

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok mate, I understand. It's certainly positive to add the sources anyway, although obviously would be ideal if we had the full set of ratings (I guess in some respects the Superfutbol average for R.Baggio or Maldini comes with an * that says the average is very likely higher than what is shown, certainly in Baggio's case I think, while for La Stampa it is probably going to be a similar case for Finidi George and maybe for example Amokachi too). You're right - surely the overall average for all sources couldn't be changed a big amount by adding one or two ratings from one source anyway - if anything it's more that the average ratings of an individual source, be it Superfutbol or La Stampa in these cases, could be changed quite significantly, but an estimate is not the same as the real ratings anyway I guess).

Gregoire1 repped this.
  3. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    These are the scores for Argentina and Bulgaria after the corresponding approximations have been removed. The changes are not excessively significant except in the case of Batistuta, who was clearly disadvantaged with this approximation.
    This afternoon, I will correct the tables affected by these modifications.

aRGENTINA bULGARIA.jpg

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    RATINGS STAMPA WC 94 CORREGIDO

RATINGS stampa mundial CORREGIDO.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  5. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    RATINGS WC 94 CORREGIDO

ratings wc 94 publicaciones CORREGIDO.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and comme repped this.
  6. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017

CORREGIDO

Romario (7.63)
    Hagi (7.40)
    Preud'homme (7.31)
    Raducioiu (7.05)
    Klinsmann (6.91)
    Bebeto (6.88)
    Caminero (6.80)
    Mauro Silva (6.80)
    Maldini (6.80)
    Brolin (6,71)
    Belodedici (6,67)
    Baggio, Roberto (6,65)
    Marcio Santos (6,65)
    Andersson, Kenneth (6.64)
    Jorginho (6.63)
    Redondo (6.63)
    Bergkamp (6.62)
    Aldair (6.61)
    Dunga (6.59)
    Al Owairan (6.57)
    Batistuta (6,57)
    Finidi (6.55)
    Ravelli (6,55)
    Simeone (6.54)
    Hassler (6,54)

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/t...e-1994-world-cup.2033907/page-7#post-38652609
    I did start to wonder if I'd go back and change the 3rd and 4th line-ups, using a 3-4-1-2 type system or something instead which could be more suitable and representative in some ways, but I'll leave them as they are and just add in a 6th line-up, after having reflected even a bit more recently and got some further retrospective ideas. I'll use a similar line-up to the 5th team I did above, but make it 3-1-2-1-1-2 (basically a back 3, a diamond midfield, a roaming creative forward and two strikers!)....

Thorstvedt (Norway); Caceres (Argentina), Valckx (Netherlands), Hong Myung Bo (South Korea); Yankov (Bulgaria); Houghton (Ireland), Staunton (Ireland); Sirakov (Bulgaria); Bahja (Morocco); Batistuta (Argentina), Dahlin (Sweden)

That does still leave some central midfielders I had possibly borderline top 40/50 players out of the first 6 line-ups (like Bregy, Albertini, Dunga, Oliseh), but I'd not really be sure about any order in terms of midfield players around that area of a ranking and like with team 5 maybe the ones I put in here fit best system wise.

Titanlux repped this.
  8. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    El Grafico WC 1994

Attached Files:

Titanlux and PDG1978 repped this.
  9. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    These are matches from # 3 to # 23.
    @TomNeil if you have others, please fast them;)

Titanlux repped this.
  10. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Many thanks to the colleagues who have contributed with their images of the "El Gráfico" ratings. Considering exclusively the players who played at least 4 games, the best averages were these:

Muchas gracias a los compañeros que han contribuido con sus imágenes de las calificaciones de "El Gráfico". Considerando exclusivamente los jugadores que jugaron como mínimo 4 partidos, los mejores promedios fueron estos:

ratings Grafico para bigsoccer.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and PDG1978 repped this.
  11. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Adding El Gráfico's averages to all the others, we get the following averages. Here are the top 50 (among the block I chose a priori).

Sumando los promedios de El Gráfico a todos los demás, obtenemos los siguientes promedios. Aquí están los 50 primeros (entre el bloque que elegí a priori).

Ratings acumulados para bigsoccer.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and Buyo repped this.
  12. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    However, if in addition to the ratings provided by the corresponding journals, we also take into account the partial results and the final ranking, the matter changes a little, but perhaps the results will be fairer:

Sin embargo, si además de las calificaciones proporcionadas por las revistas correspondientes, tenemos también en cuenta los resultados parciales y la clasificación final, la cuestión cambia un poquito, pero quizá los resultados sean más justos:

Ratings acumulados enriquecidos para bigsoccer.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and Buyo repped this.
  13. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    After this change, only one change in the ideal XI: Marcio Santos for Aldair. Klinsmann and Bebeto are still close to Raducioiu, but are unable to catch him.

Tras esta modificación, solo una modificación en el XI ideal: Marcio Santos por Aldair. Klinsmann y Bebeto siguen cerca de Raducioiu, pero no logran alcanzarlo.

Preud'homme; Jorginho, Belodedici, Marcio Santos, Maldini; Caminero, Mauro Silva, Redondo, Hagi; Raducioiu, Romario.

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think you need to count another appearance for Jorginho mate with El Grafico don't you (the 38 points divided by 7 games, not 6)? So his average will fall to 5.43.

I checked it just because they hadn't put him in their final chosen XI (also because at first glance I'd not thought they'd given him a high average when I browsed through the ratings originally).

Benarrivo (who they did put in their final chosen XI at right back, albeit I think the grades would support him being a better pick as left back like I thought myself, although then he'd be behind Sergi I guess so that maybe came into their thinking) is another one who'd be on 6 for his El Grafico average rating I think isn't he?

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No, sorry Benarrivo would be on 5.83 I realise now, from El Grafico, so Titanlux was right not to list him with the ones who had an average of 6 or above.

16. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    You are absolutely right, partner. 5.43 for the "simple" and 5.93 for the "enriched". It will take me no more than 20 minutes to update everything, but in a few hours or, maybe until tomorrow I won't be able to do it. Thanks for the correction and thank you if you see more mistakes. Best regards.
    P.S. If I am not mistaken it is the worst grade for Jorginho of all the ones we have and I calculate that his average will drop around 0.1 integer.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

PDG1978 repped this.
  17. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    No
    CORREGIDO

ratings Grafico para bigsoccer.jpg

PDG1978 repped this.
  18. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017

CORREGIDO

Ratings acumulados para bigsoccer.jpg

Buyo repped this.
  19. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017

CORREGIDO

Ratings acumulados enriquecidos para bigsoccer.jpg

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I noticed there is a short Luis Enrique video for WC94 on Youtube now (and considering the length of it, it's surprisingly containing quite a few general bits of good play rather than focusing on three or four key moments or whatever - the goal vs Switzerland isn't even there for example, but for that reason it gives maybe a better overall gist albeit brief)

I see now there is a Caminero one there too, and likewise with some lesser known bits of play included in a slightly longer video:

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think, with help a little bit from Sofascore in fully clarifying/reminding about average field positions, and with the aim of keeping my choices simple/standardised, I probably finally ended up with these teams A-F if I make 6 selections (retrospectively, after viewing/reviewing things, but based a lot on how I remember seeing it at the time, even if I used 4-4-2 back then like I said before), a little bit in the style of that Dr Becker who did it for the old World Cups, aiming for a feasible team in a 4-3-3 system each time with 3 midfielders and 3 attackers....

Team A
    Preud'homme (Belgium); Jorginho (Brazil), Aldair (Brazil), Maldini (Italy), Sergi (Spain); Letchkov (Bulgaria), Jonk (Netherlands), Hagi (Romania); Brolin (Sweden), Romario (Brazil), R.Baggio (Italy)

Team B
    Taffarel (Brazil); Emmers (Belgium), Belodedici (Romania), Albert (Belgium), Benarrivo (Italy); Thern (Sweden), Mauro Silva (Brazil), Balakov (Bulgaria); Bebeto (Brazil), Klinsmann (Germany), Stoichkov (Bulgaria)

Team C
    Mihailov (Bulgaria); Petrescu (Romania), McGrath (Ireland), Baresi (Italy), Chamot (Argentina); Hassler (Germany), Bregy (Switzerland), Redondo (Argentina); Caniggia (Argentina), Bergkamp (Netherlands), Luis Enrique (Spain)

Team D
    Ravelli (Sweden); Nilsson (Sweden), Grun (Belgium), Marcio Santos (Brazil), Ljung (Sweden); Caminero (Spain), Oliseh (Nigeria), Garcia Aspe (Mexico); Finidi (Nigeria), Andersson (Sweden), Amunike (Nigeria)

Team E
    Campos (Mexico); Winter (Netherlands), Costacurta (Italy), Valckx (Netherlands), Selymes (Romania); Albertini (Italy), Yankov (Bulgaria), D.Baggio (Italy); Raducioiu (Romania), Dahlin (Sweden), Dumitrescu (Romania)

Team F
    Zubizarreta (Spain); Hottiger (Switzerland), Caceres (Argentina), Bratseth (Norway), Branco (Brazil); Donadoni (Italy), Sammer (Germany), Sutter (Switzerland); Owairan (Saudi Arabia), Batistuta (Argentina), Bahja (Morocco)

I think I'd have been ending with the same players using a diamond system anyway (although some midfielders/forwards rising up a team or two and others dropping down a team or two), but while that works well for Team A maybe (with probably Mauro Silva and Balakov in for Jonk and Brolin), it'd be more of a stretch moving through teams B to F (I could show a hybrid/alternative system but then it's getting complicated), and I think Brolin goes into Team A if possible for me too, which can happen using the 4-3-3 without putting him in a different type of midfield role to what he played (the 4-4-2 did work well enough though also for that since he mostly played as right winger overall).

comme and Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    One thing Sofascore (OPTA in effect probably) did maybe get wrong I think though is the assister for the Saudi Arabia goal vs Sweden - I don't think it is Owairan, and it does seem more like Sami Al Jaber to me (which is what is stated on Planet World Cup, as below):
    Planet World Cup - 1994 - Second Round - Sweden v Saudi Arabia

Having said that, it seems to me the other assist they differ on in that game (for Sweden's second goal) is one which OPTA got right and Planet World Cup got wrong (I tried enlarging the video on Footballia to have the best chance to be sure, but think it is probably Roland Nilsson indeed, and it doesn't seem like Brolin anyway - maybe I couldn't be 100% sure it wasn't Thern even but I don't think so even if I can't quite be sure of the shirt number and the footage cuts in to the area of the field it happens in just before the pass and previous to that there is a chance for Sweden made by Brolin which is being replayed and so there isn't a good view of the pitch in the moments before the pass happens...which is how I'd have seen it at the time too even if maybe it'd be clearer on TV and/or when I was 16 with better eyesight....but yeah I think it's number 2 Nilsson as stated on Sofascore, or possibly number 9 Thern which would mean three assists by him overall in the World Cup if it was him and it'd be the second with the left foot).

I guess they didn't get much wrong anyway, and I haven't noticed any other assist being given to the wrong player from any World Cup (not that I've been trying to check them, and it's not what I've been mainly looking at on Sofascore as that's not really new info anyway - I just happened to think about not recalling an assist by Owairan in the game and then I was curious to check out the footage). The fact the commentators in England (and Germany at least it seems, judging by the video below) don't mention who is on the ball and plays the pass doesn't help in that instance I suppose.
    1994 Saudi+Arabien+ +Schweden+1 3 - YouTube

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #250 PDG1978, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Re: this, I realise now that probably I saw a bit less than I was thinking (still pretty much all I could I think, and for sure 1994 is when I felt able and/or decided to pick a best XI during/after the tournament, and eventually a second XI too, like I said), and Argentina-Greece was one that apparently was not on live TV in the UK (but there is enough time for decently extensive highlights to be shown during the programme that contained the game that was shown on BBC, which I'd have video taped to watch the next day I think - it's possible on the highlights that for example Chamot's display could be fully represented but Redondo's not so much though I guess, or that kind of thing):
    Schedule - BBC Programme Index (this should be for 19th June)
    Schedule - BBC Programme Index (this should be for 21st June)
    ITV coverage of the World Cup and Euro's in the 1990's (royalwebhosting.net)
    (Summary of all live TV coverage, not just ITV, for 1990s tournaments: it's evident on Footballia that ITV commentator John Helm is commentator for footage broadcast on American TV, and they 'join' him when the game is starting, so maybe that same commentary was on ITV highlights in those cases, when the game wasn't live on ITV).
    So a more 'full live World Cup' was available to me in 1998 I suppose actually, but I do remember I sometimes missed a few minutes at the start of the games and suchlike that year. Still in 1998 though (which I wouldn't have guessed from memory) not all final games in the groups were shown live in the UK I see - it was one or the other, with highlights of the other game on the same channel at that point.

EDIT - The following season I did borrow some recordings of Premier League games, broadcast on Sky (mostly/particularly Nottingham Forest ones), but I don't think I'd have borrowed any Eurosport recordings during the World Cup - that channel was available to Sky subscribers in the UK though I'm pretty sure, at that point.

comme repped this.