The Best Match Commentator?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Neo¹, Nov 3, 2004.

1. London Wanka

London Wanka Red Card

Nov 11, 2004
    London
    Loves the game but shouts too much.

2. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    ========================================================

You are very confused Tommy Smyth is the guy we are talking about. Tommy never announced MLS . He did announce Metro Stars games which were not on the air in the UK. The only Tommie Smith I know is the one who played for Liverpool. You might want to check your facts. The MLS announcer for many years was TY Keough not Tommy Smyth. Yes Keough was an idiot thats why he no longer has the job.

3. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    To Answer your question:
    You're thinking of Kenneth Wolstenholme who'd been with the BBC from the late 1940's right up to the 1971 FA Cup Final. Although after his retirement, he had done Channel 4 Italian league matches. He passed away a few years ago, but he was the lone voice of soccer for a very long time.

4. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003

Yeah, Barry Davies gone, seems like an end of an era. But at least Martin Tyler keeps that class going.

It is a shame though that Brian Moore is not with us either.

5. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    Tommy Smith

6. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003

A ha, donde Jorge Ramos?

He was a better alternative to Andres Cantor. The only one I thought could give him a run for his money. The losers they have on Univision just scream on for no real reason. Anyone else I can think of, would be 3 man team(names escape me) on Fox Sports Espanol that cover Argentine League
    matches, especially among the big two (Boca, River)

7. gscott12

gscott12 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    I once heard an american commentator on ESPN scream 'Touchdown!' when a player scored.. true story

8. Spurs74

Spurs74 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    As an American, I obviously, purposely, stay away from American Commentators because most have either been multi-sports commentators. (they dont have a particular sport nailed down,) but have speaking ability, yet none have that depth for football in the states. That spells troublesome. So try my best to find Motty, Martin, etc. as best as possible.