The Best Match Commentator?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Neo¹, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Who do you think is the Best Match Commentator. (English Please)

I say Martin Tyler

But I also like listening to Ally McCoist and Derek Rae.

-N1

2. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Martin Tyler, no doubt.
    A very classy presentation.

3. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    John Motson is always up there.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Max Bretos.

His call of Davy Arnuad's goal last night...

Daaaaaavvvyyyyy Aarrrr no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-noooood!

He is getting better world. Albeit he is ripping of a great spanish call.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That didn't even sound human. Sounded like an air raid siren.

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Jack Edwards and myself.

7. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    For the longest time I thought Max Bretos and Alan Hopkins were the same guy.

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    they do sound really similar at times.

9. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

I used to Give Max too much credit... I was amazed that he knew so much about the German, French, Brazillian, and Argentine League when all along it was two different people commentating. [​IMG]

10. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    if ten minutes have gone by in a Bundesliga game and you haven't heard Micooooooooud or Pizzzzzzarrro, it's Hopkins. :)

11. London Wanka

London Wanka Red Card

Nov 11, 2004
    London
    Motty off the BBC is in a league of his own.
    But a commentator who is very much an underrated is Peter Brackley. He used to commentate on Channel 4's football Italia, then moved to ITV a couple of years ago and commentated on a the Premiership Saturday night round-up of the games. He is simply superb. Great knowledge of the game, lively and funny, without being OTT. He and James Richardson (the presenter) used to form a dream team on Football Italia on Channel 4 in the nineties (This was moved to Eurosport 2-3 years back after a money offer ******** up) - both aboslutely superb - JR's knowledge and almost schoolboy banter on TV (including chuckling at his own (knowingly) terrible puns, jokes and double entendres made him almost a cult figure for my generation of football-lovers. Lads in school in England would get up on Saturday mornings to watch Gazetta Football Italia for the players, the football but, I suspect, the Brackley-Richardson partnership was one of the main reasons. :)

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Gazetta Football Italia was quality. I like Max Bretos and also enjoy listening to Derek Rae.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the love for Ty Keough? :eek:

14. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Who is he? Oh, and could anyone who likes Press Pass/ESPN commentary tell me who the "black guy" is who Tommy Smith usually fights with?

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Eddie Mighten.

I stress the "was" in the past tense, because Eddie hasn't been on the panel of that show for ages. Within the last several months, his place has been taken up by Janusz Michallik (whose other claim to fame comes from being a former USA international defender in the early '90s).

16. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Christopher Sullivan.

17. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i was used to hearing motson on the FIFA video games by EASports but when i entered the bar and heard the same voice in the england-portugal in the euro 2004 game it brought a sense of drama that a game of such magnitude deserves...he's the best i've ever heard..the standard

mccoist is hillarious especially when he made fun of the US defense against iran back in world cup 98...i was a US fan and even found the criticism funny although embarassing

cantor is good and jorge ramos isn't that bad either but i haven't heard the latter in a while

18. By-Tor

By-Tor Member

Tottenham Hotspur, Chicago Fire
    Nov 30, 2003
    Deerfield, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Tyler and Ian Crocker. Class.

19. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    John Motson. He's the voice of football as far as im concerned. I cant imagine a Saturday night watching match of the day without Motson commentating on the main match.
    [​IMG]

Davies was pretty good as well. Shame he retirred.

The guy that commentates on ITV for Champs League matches.

Who was the person who start "They think its all over, IT IS NOW".

20. London Wanka

London Wanka Red Card

Nov 11, 2004
    London
    I used to hear Tommy Smith commentate on MLS footy when they showed it here on Channel 5 late at night. The fella sounded like a total idiot.

21. London Wanka

London Wanka Red Card

Nov 11, 2004
    London
    Davies loved the Mancs just a tad too much.

ITV for champions league is plain awful.

Ken Wolstenholme started it in 1966.

22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Tommy Smythe - without a doubt - not just another pretty face with his accent and expressions " .. in the ol' onion bag .. " - he actually knows the game and tactics and is willing to call bad tactics and plays as he sees them - gives you a feel for all the action and tempo and composure of the teams on the field that you can't get just watching the TV screen - gives you the color you need to really feel whats going on

WORST - there's some English guy who's a regular for EPL matches televised on FSW - He's horrid - All he does is drone on about how gloried and wonderful the stars are in the league and about how great the league is - And all the time you see senseless wha(n)cking the ball upfield to the other teams defenders - ugh - can't wait for the games from Argentina or France

23. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Thy Keogh :D

24. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    What do you think of Jonathan Pearce?

He was the best (by far) radio commentator, when he was on Capital Gold, but he hasn't made the transition successfully, IMHO.

25. London Wanka

London Wanka Red Card

Nov 11, 2004
    London
    I thought his analysis was useless. And if pointless voice-raising during the match is called "Adding color", I rest my case