The best games of the best players

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Sep 19, 2017.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

"England's World Cup life was snuffed out by a Brazilian team minus injured Pele but with 'Little Bird' Garrincha at his bewildering best. The ball-conjuring winger put Brazil in the lead 13 minutes before half-time when he moved like a whippet to head in a Zagallo comer. England hit back with an equalizer six minutes later, Gerry Hitchens sweeping the ball home after a Jimmy Greaves header had hit the bar. Garrincha decided the match early in the second-half. His powerful free-kick from 25 yards was too hot to handle for Springett, and as he pushed the ball out Vava followed up to head it into the net. Then Garrincha, the man with two left feet, sent a vićiously swerving shot curling out of Springett's reach and into the roof of the net. England played with pride and passion, but were simply outclassed by a team with all the talents."
    http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1960-70/1961-62/M0362Bra1962.html

Gregoriak repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think it was earlier than the Finland one, scored in this game vs US Luxembourg in 1962/63
    Coppa dei Campioni (www-magliarossonera-it.translate.goog)

Not that any full video will be appearing for that game, to see how Rivera played throughout in it, or Altafini who scored 5 goals
    Partite ufficiali (www-magliarossonera-it.translate.goog)

3. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    #778 Calculator, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Arguably one of the most underrated left foots of the game (Possibly due to him being a one club man instead of going to some of the more glamorous and competitive clubs, e.g. Matt le Tissier)
    Wolfgang Overath Vs Brazil

That may be the best performance I’ve ever seen in terms of long passing; At least in terms of the volume of high quality long passes. Perhaps somebody should count them :D (seriously can anyone think of another performance with more?)
    Also created some big goalscoring chances with very good passes.

There was actually a period in the 1974 World Cup final when I thought Overath was putting on a potentially GOAT level performance, but sadly his performance wilted as the second half went on, coinciding with Germany as a whole wilting, and therefore I can’t propose it as one of the best performances.

Edhardy, PDG1978 and carlito86 repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I remember noticing that game as a good one by Overath even from general game highlights. Kudos on posting the video.

I remember that in my relatively early Big Soccer days I said something along the lines of only thinking Overath would be better than Michael Laudrup in terms of long range shots (to be fair Laudrup did catch a few sweetly himself from outside the box or on the edge of it at least), but it might be fair to add (aside from possibly things like tackling and other things more on the defensive side) medium to long range (as opposed to medium to short range) passing.

Maybe in a slightly different way to a Rivaldo or a Puskas but Overath probably had one of the most capable and/or cultured left foots didn't he? I think initially having mainly seen him playing in World Cup 1966, and some highlights from 1974, I didn't fully understand how good he was on his best days. Whether I'd have picked Netzer ahead of him still in 1974 is possible I guess. Maybe Germany could have fitted them both in even? Netzer's form might have dropped off a bit from 1972 I think though anyway hadn't it?

As if to suggest an answer to your question I see Youtube recommended this Glenn Hoddle vs Arsenal video from 1987!
    Glenn Hoddle vs Arsenal (1987/02/08) - YouTube
    He's even trying to rival him on the left footed ones indeed I see! I haven't watched that one in full as yet though. Whether I or you saw it at the time is possible I suppose if it was from a nationwide broadcast live game....

Edhardy repped this.
  5. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    This probably is not a best game from one of best players like Pele, but someone seems to have uploaded a full game of that 1963 Intercontinental Cup game between Santos and Milan (no copy of the game was available before)

The likes of Cesare Maldini , Trapattoni had probably a solid game:

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    leadleader repped this.
  7. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    @PDG1978
    What would be T5 Messi performance for you in his career? (club + country)

And also Cr7's T5 individual performance? (Club + country)

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm not really sure to be honest mate, and maybe I prefer to leave others to debate that. The Man City game at home in 2014/15 would be one for Messi maybe IMO, and Real Madrid away in the CL in 2010/11 possibly too, but I named those already before (as you already saw too I think).

I will be having a watch of Milan vs Santos though, as I told you before when you alerted me to it a few days ago of course (I just watched the opening 10-20 minutes so far though).

9. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    I cannot tell if each of these assists was by Thomas Hassler but if they were, (I think they were), then he had Baggio esque solo assist, a Bergkamp esque flick assist, and a Laudrup esque through pass assist, all in one game. I think it was even his cross that preceded the own goal.

PDG1978 repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I think it was him with all those assists. Here are the ratings for that game from italian sources, as provided by @Vegan10
    [​IMG]
    (Keeping in mind that those scores he got are quite rarely handed out in Italy, even if higher ones aren't unprecedented)

Calculator repped this.
  11. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    Pretty harsh it seems to me that two of the 4 papers only give Baggio a 6.5
    He scored a nice goal and I’m pretty sure it was him with the quality pass over the defence to set up Hassler’s flick assist

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was Baggio with the pass.

I notice the full game is on Youtube actually (I had seen the highlights before your post, but haven't watched the full game as yet anyway, but it could be interesting to compare the more generous English press (in this case weekly football magazine, but in so far as newspapers hand out grades I also think a 10 is not particularly rare from them in England either, or at least a 9 isn't) grade of 10 for Gascoigne in the game I posted a few posts ago to the maximum 8 of Hassler, and maximum 7 for Baggio in this game - of course it can be that rightly or wrongly in terms of end product multiple impressive goals might be rewarded more than multiple impressive assists by default almost in both England and Italy...although I mentioned on the English ratings thread a 10 out of 10 for Franz Carr in the game the 2nd video below shows brief highlights of and surely in that case the 4 assists, with at least one of high quality would be a big factor towards the decision to give him a 10....by the same football magazine, Match, that later gave the Gascoigne performance a 10 and I've noticed did hand out a few over the years even if not a huge amount of them):

13. harms

harms Member

Oct 2, 2021
    PDG1978 repped this.
  14. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    Maradona vs Austria 1980

(stats are based on what I assume to be opta/whoscored etc defined)

Shots: 4
    Shots on target: 3
    Goals: 3
    Assists: 1
    Key passes: 2
    Accurate through passes: 3
    Accurate long passes: 2
    Successful dribbles: 7
    Fouled: 5
    Interceptions: 1

Now compare to the eye test:

Gregoriak repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I thought it might be interesting to add grades of 7.5 and above from the GameOfGoals site, which is Italian fans/historians voting based on Italian methods, and scale (increments of 0.5), but retrospectively and just for selected notable players, after watching the games recently I suppose (though some grades for some Euro 2020 games and CL games over last season and this season so far have appeared on the site too I see now).

Obviously I'm not promoting the choices of best players and awarded grades myself as such (I've already put my takes on this thread and the new one about big game performances in general, but for example just as the actual Italian publications did in real time, on average, according to this post of comme's I quote, I assume, I have Maradona's Belgium performance rating above the one vs England from 86, and some performances like Zidane vs Brazil in 98 or Van Basten vs England in 88 I gave fairly significantly higher marks to - to an extent maybe I'm just a little bit more generous overall though as a lot of people will be compared to the Italian publications - I do have Maradona vs England still down for a higher mark than quoted here (not compared to the grade on this Game of Goals site though), just like Laudrup vs Uruguay too, or Albert vs Brazil going back to 1966 as another example; this site shows a 10 for Eusebio vs North Korea that year though (I'll reveal the scores below but I think it might be the only one other than Maradona vs England possibly from what I've noticed so far) and maybe I had in mind 9.75 max, albeit that's using even smaller increments. I think, as another example in general I have Cruyff scoring higher, comparatively not only literally, IIRC, in World Cup games particularly although potentially vs Feyenoord for Barcelona too, though maybe there can be exceptions: he gets a very good grade/verdict vs Marseille for Ajax that I can't be sure I'd exceed for example....
    Anyway, there will always be a bit of variation (I remember Zavarov vs Italy didn't get as high a rating as I gave it, comparatively or literally, from Euro 88, with some Italian source/s, but he does moreso with the ones used to calculate his grade quoted above - comme is noting in effect he's the highest rated player of the game according to overall consensus between a few sources I guess), but these should all be notable performances.

I'm adding the translated text for the players too: I guess the translations aren't perfect but they'll still be interesting and informative I think....

I'll begin with friendly games in this post (some of the performances in comme's post I'm quoting will appear afterwards though, like some of those World Cup performances I mentioned, and also Cannavaro vs France in 98 for example, and Ronaldo vs Germany in 2002....)

England vs Hungary 1953:
    Puskas 8.5 - he plays practically across the board and is unstoppable: he starts several actions, refines them and concludes them, always sowing panic in the English defense. The two goals are splendid: the first, with the feint that disorients Wright and strikes Merrick, is a concentrate of technique and genius; the second, on the heel of Bozsik's shot, is pure cunning. Even more fabulous is the assist for the 6-2, a very soft left lob that cuts out the English defense and finds Hidegkuti on the far post, ready for the winning thrust.
    Hidegkuti 8.5 - ready-go and it's already a goal, with a terrifying right that goes out in the “seven”. He is the engine, the offensive director of every Hungarian action. With Puskas he creates triangulations of pure football ecstasy. He drives the poor English stopper Johnson crazy and silences the 100 thousand of the Empire Stadium with a fabulous hat-trick
    Bozsik 7.5 - goals aside, he is the absolute ruler of the midfield. A complete player, not only a midfielder, but also a fine speaker, he is the conductor of the splendid Hungarian goal-scoring machine. If Puskas and Hidegkuti end up on the cover, he gets most of the credit. Deus ex machina.

France vs Spain 1958:
    Di Stefano 8.5 - completeness in person. He recovers in defense, he fights like a halfback, he touches a hundred balls, often as before, almost all of them very well. He gives life to devastating accelerations across the board and one of these - where he discards three men - leads to Suarez's goal. It also puts a hand in the other net because it packs and refines the action by putting race and class on it. Yes, because sometimes he delights the audience even with some very refined artist touches. Let's not forget that in insertions without the ball he is a monster. All he really misses is the goal. Stratospheric performance, total footballer if there is one in history.
    Fontaine 7.5 - first half in waves, in the second half he goes wild and becomes irrepressible. He scores a wonderful goal for power and technique, gives life to a spectacular ball and chain descent that sends the whole Iberian defense into crisis (and deserved to be awarded the penalty), certain exchanges in the race with Vincent and Piantoni are pure art. A striker as extraordinary as he is unlucky, who will have to interrupt his career due to injury while still very young.
    Kubala 7.5 - touches like an artist, dynamism, a great goal in the running, with Di Stefano terrifies the French defense for a long time. Another element of very pure class, who knows how to send his teammates into goal, retreat to weave the threads of the maneuver and be very fearsome at the time of the shot.

France vs Spain 1959:
    Kopa 8 - veronica and surplace, sublime ball control and velvety throws. Extraordinary player, who is perhaps a little underestimated today. Impossible to take the ball away from him, he lays bare the flaws of a very slow Spanish defense, constantly spraying the French game and serving Fontaine and Vincent an industrial quantity of balls

Racing Paris vs Santos 1960:
    Pele 9 - On trust. Because the second half is something unreal. He practices another sport than anyone else, confirming the words of Carlo Pizzigoni who defined Pelé from 19 to 25 years of age as unrepeatable on a technical, tactical and mental level. When he takes the ball from any position, the first man always jumps and creates numerical superiority, then choosing whether to speed up or free up space for a teammate. Score a superb goal, serve a series of delicious assists and three lead to the goal (one is inexplicably canceled). He even recovers some balls in defense: towards 40 'of the second half he frees the area with a sumptuous double dribbling at the limit and then throws Pepe to the left. The words of Ferenc Puskás come to mind: «The greatest footballer in history was Alfredo Di Stéfano. But I refuse to consider Pele a footballer.He was something else
    Coutinho 8 - Two goals (the first is not seen, even if it is described as beautiful), constant point of reference forward for all the actions of Santos, gives life to triangles in the strait with Pelé of a higher technical level.

Hamburg vs Santos 1962:
    Reuter 8 - two goals and a myriad of quality plays, closes with a golden assist that Uwe Seeler turns into the net.
    Pele 8 - two beautiful goals, for balance, class and execution. Paired with Coutinho he drives the Hamburg defenders crazy. Superb also as a man-assist.
    Seeler 7.5 - nominally a center forward, in reality on the attack front he knows how to be useful in various ways. Wonderful the vertical ball that sends Reuter into the goal for the 1-0, fantastic head in correcting Reuter's cross for the third German goal.

France vs Brazil 1963:
    Pele 8 - scores three goals, one from penalty and two from technique and speed; touches another goal and forces Carmus to an important save. Sometimes he is also found in midfield, fighting and suggesting for his teammates. Once more he confirms his enviable athletic, technical and game understanding qualities. The King of football.

England vs Rest of the World 1963:
    Greaves 7.5 - A splinter, perpetually stuck in the side of the Rest of the World. Burning accelerations, vitriolic conclusions, game viewing. It acts as a bank for Paine's 1-0 and at the last minute closes the games with the winning tapin that is worth the success of the English. Even if the best goal was scored after a fantastic action that began shortly after halfway. But the referee blatantly canceled it.
    Bobby Charlton 7.5 - Like a diesel, it grows with the passing of the minutes and plays a second half at excellent levels. It is found everywhere and when it starts ball and chain it becomes unstoppable. He hits a sensational post and propitiates Greaves' goal after an extraordinary action
    Yashin 7.5 - He plays only the first half, then is replaced by Soskic. Make at least three insane saves, demonstrating a practically foolproof hold. The English players hit a wall and it is no coincidence that he came out in the second half and the hosts managed to break through twice. It is his magical year: in 1963 (according to many insiders also and above all for this match) he is awarded the Ballon d'Or

To be continued (with more friendlies at first - maybe it'll take me several days to get through all the grades of 7.5 and above on the site overall)....

Buyo, Edhardy and carlito86 repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sorry, I'd meant to imply I'd rated Zidane vs Brazil in 98 significantly higher than the GameofGoals verdict (still to be revealed on this thread), not the rating quoted in comme's post just to clarify (I could have added Van Basten vs W.Germany instead too, if comparing my own calls to the grades in comme's post, which came from Football-Ratings-Blogspot and were based on aggregate grades from newspapers etc, often Italian ones I think)

If I confused myself I probably confused others!

I'll continue now with more grades in friendly games from Game Of Goals anyway....

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Atlante vs Santos 1966:
    Pele 8 - it's just a friendly, okay . But when he plays like this, when he feels good and feels like it, he is a player from another dimension. Light up the scene with high-class plays, sort a sea of balls in every area of the pitch, score a goal with a shot of inhuman power and repeatedly put his teammates in goal with ingenious suggestions. Not to mention some acceleration of his own, just to season a total champion performance.

Celtic vs Penarol 1967:
    Gemmell 8 - Unstoppable. In the first half he overwhelms anyone who comes in front of him in the left lane, serves two chocolates to Wallace and they are two goals, takes a pole with a cannon shot, pushes as hard as he can. In the second half he changes bands, but the result is almost the same: an inexhaustible tractor that the defense of Penarol is unable to limit
    Wallace 7.5 - Author's double with the flashes of a robber, the defenders of Penarol are forced to overtime to stem it. In the second half he improvises as a finisher and sends Chalmers into the goal with a plush touch
    Johnstone 7.5 - It does not score, but it is irrepressible. He starts to the right, but sweeps where creativity takes him most. The first man always jumps, goes to the bottom and crosses or centers and calls Mazurkiewicz to a series of prodigious interventions.
    Mazurkiewicz 7.5 - If Penarol limits the liabilities it is his merit. He makes numerous wonderful saves, with feline reflections, literally lifting the ball from the intersection of the goalposts. Goalkeeper of absolute class.

Brazil vs England 1969:
    Gerson 7.5 - lung and engine of the Brazilian game. He touches several balls, sorts the traffic with sagacity and intelligence and when he can he also throws himself forward with truly remarkable ball-and-chain percussion. He gets a penalty that Carlos Alberto wastes and is the soul of the final comeback by managing the game on the offensive front. Proof of great authority.

England vs Italy 1973:
    Zoff 7.5 - makes at least three sensational saves , showing a thrill and a crazy instinct, qualities that he does not always show in his repertoire. It gives a constant feeling of security to the whole team. If Italy crowns the dream of conquering Wembley for the first time, he has most of the merits

England vs Netherlands 1977:
    Peters 7.5 - two-by-four at Wembley, it's his big night and he'll never forget it. The two goals, moreover, are not even that easy: he is good in control and in the diagonal shot at the net. It even goes close to the three of a kind.
    Cruyff 7.5 - acts as a real offensive director and lights up the scene by orchestrating the entire Dutch maneuver. Openings, vertical suggestions, ideas in speed and great continuity: boundless repertoire. If he had an extra bit of cynicism in front of goal (a small mole already highlighted in other situations) he would be 8.

England vs Argentina 1980:
    Maradona 8 - he has not yet turned 20 and yet he already proves to have the trappings of an absolute champion. Burning accelerations, openings, brilliant assists. Uncontainable and impregnable ball and chain, he repeatedly brought the English defenders to their knees and obtained a penalty with one of the many, sublime, plays of his match. In this match he demonstrates the reason for two consecutive South American Ballon d'Ors in '79 and 1980 and why several insiders in Argentina complained about his failure to call up the '78 World Cup.

Brazil vs Chile 1980:
    Cerezo 7.5 - An unstoppable tractor. He breaks and sews the game, starts again at a thousand per hour, enters and concludes. Goals and assists on the scoresheet, but also a crossbar with a crazy stone from outside and the feeling of athletically dominating the match in midfield. Man everywhere.

Gregoire1 and Legolas10 repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think European Cup games might be a good choice next for today, and then I'll return to this another day....

Nice vs Real Madrid 1960 (I notice Puskas is noted to have been worth 8.5 in the first half but only 5 in the second by the way: he is given a 7 overall):
    Nurenberg 7.5 - like all Nice, he is unleashed in the second half, overturning the fate of a match that seems to be marked. Three goals and a penalty: a thorn stuck in the side of the Spanish defense.

Real Madrid vs Nice 1960:
    Gento 8 - a tornado, impossible to stop or contain. It's his big night: a splendid goal after a quick exchange with Di Stefano and a myriad of devastating accelerations along the left side.
    Di Stefano 8 - dominates across the board with his usual sagacity. Certain "come and go" from before are of a frightening modernity. Surgical head in putting the 3-0, he would also have several occasions for the personal brace.

Barcelona vs Real Madrid 1960:
    Puskas 8 - he genius in power: radiates the Camp Nou evening with a series of superfine plays and after the goal of the first half the encore falls in the second half. But he is not limited to the realization phase: his second 45 minutes are a concentrate of throws, dribbles and cues in speed starting from a standstill. Immense.
    Di Stefano 7.5 - he usual immeasurable universal conductor. With Puskas he builds the action of Gento's goal, recovers in defense, sets, runs and verticalizes. Superior class.
    Gento 7.5 - The third man more than this fairytale Real. When launched at speed it becomes impregnable. Score a goal and touch others. The Barcelona defense will have nightmares for a long time

Real Madrid vs Eintracht Frankfurt 1960:
    Di Stefano 9 - play from one area to another. Set the game in the midfield as a playmaker, often giving orders to teammates; refines the attack maneuver and enters to conclude it. He is also found in defense to sweep, as in the 29 'of the first half, when as a perfect stopper he rejects a cross from Lindner anticipating the German forward behind him. Score two robbery goals and one after a wonderful acceleration through central streets. In the final, he touches the poker after another ride that leaves the opposing defenders in place. With today's football rhythms, seeing a player capable of running and playing in virtually any area of the pitch would probably be unthinkable.
    Puskas 9 - compared to the times of Greater Hungary, he seems to play only as an attacker, running less, no longer worrying about organizing the whole offensive game, but only about finalizing it. However, he succeeds in a great way: four goals in a Champions Cup final are still a record today. His left has a tremendous impact and leaves its mark: even the German goalkeeper Loy knows something about it, who barely repels two crazy stones from the Hungarian champion.
    Del Sol 8 - an inexhaustible scooter in midfield, he puts his hand in four of Real's seven goals. With Di Stefano he forms an exceptional couple in terms of dynamism and tactical intelligence.
    Gento 7.5 - another very sharp weapon in Spanish hands. When he accelerates on the left side, he becomes simply impregnable. He gets a generous penalty, goes very close to scoring in a couple of circumstances and certain duets with Puskas in speed are applause.

Benfica vs Barcelona 1961:
    Coluna 7.5 - the key player in the success of the Lusitanians. Absolute master of the maneuver, he starts the action of 1-0, puts his hand in doubling and crowns an all-round performance with the - splendid - network of 3-1, the one that definitively puts Barcelona's hopes in the drawer. Leader.

Real Madrid vs Juventus 1962:
    Puskas 7.5 - okay, he will no longer have the inspiration and mobility of the Hungarian years, but he still makes all the difference in the world. We need three assists, of which the first and third are wonderful, and they are three goals. He doesn't even need to polish his magic left. Timeless.
    Di Stefano 7.5 - he's one year older than Puskas, he's closer to 40 than 30, yet no one runs like him. He touches a sea of balls in different areas of the pitch, starts the first goal, gets the punishment from which the second is born and paired with Puskas he makes up the third. Need anything else?
    Sivori 7.5 - when he has the ball between his feet, it is very difficult to stop. Creativity, unpredictability, technique and incisiveness: it has it all. He scores a splendid goal, after a slalom starting just after half-time, and puts his signature on all the most beautiful actions of Juve. It drops a bit in the end, when it tends to get a little nervous, probably also due to the negative result.

Standard Liege vs Real Madrid 1962:
    Puskas 7.5 - Artist touches and fast-paced conclusions, he is the great protagonist of the Madrid success. He opens the dances with a splendid shot, puts his hand on the occasion of the doubling and refines several fearsome opportunities for the blancos. In great shape also on the physical level despite the 35 springs.

Benfica vs Real Madrid 1962:
    Eusebio 8.5 - the cold numbers say this: two goals, a penalty obtained, a post from which another goal springs, an assist for Cavem's network. Then there are his searing accelerations, often starting from midfield or just beyond. Performance as a total striker, an absolute champion. Comparisons between different eras leave the time they find. But certainly - net of a somewhat meager international palmares - Eusebio is one of the greatest players in history, both for his ability to always be decisive in the most important moments of Benfica, and for that World 66 in which he almost dragged only Portugal (not Brazil or Germany ...) in third place
    Puskas 8 - As it already seemed in the 1960 final, the Real Madrid version of Puskas no longer has the mobility and dynamism in the field of that of Greater Hungary. But he remains an exceptional slinger. At the expense of his 36 years, he demonstrates unique skills as a striker: four shots towards the goal, three goals. And that "stop" from a standstill on a 70-meter throw is a good gem for every era, past, present and future, to be set and sent to football schools
    Di Stefano 8 - plays a first half to the limits of human perfection. He defends alongside Santamaria, brand Eusebio, following him everywhere and limiting him not a little, organizes the game like a director, assists Puskas in finishing and tries to fit in to finish personally. All at 37! Then he drops, but still remains the most continuous of Real and the most dangerous of his even in a difficult second half.
    Coluna 7.5 - a direction that is at times silent, but always present. He puts his hand in four goals out of five of his, also finding the very important goal of 3-3 with an incredible stone from the edge.

Benfica vs Feyenoord 1963:
    Jose Augusto 7.5 - Eusebio is always fabulous, but as the best we reward the right wing of Benfica, a real nightmare for the Dutch defense. He scores a wonderful header, starts the action of the third goal with a head down percussion worthy of a bull, touches his personal encore in the final after a full-range breakaway and an aesthetically perfect running diagonal.

AC Milan vs Benfica 1963:
    Altafini 7.5 - the man of the final. Realize the decisive double as a great opportunist, after missing some good opportunities. Bravo not only at finalizing, but also at picking up the team and sending his teammates on goal. He closes the Cup with a total of 14 goals: a true striker

Borussia Dortmund vs Benfica 1964:
    Brungs 8 - deserves the palm of best in the field for the three goals, all opportunistic rapacious, that crash Benfica. He also touches the fourth and adds an assist: for the Portuguese defense it is a nightmare
    Wosab 8 - huge performance, on the right wing does what he wants, enters almost all the attacking actions of the gialloneri and closes a sumptuous game with the fifth goal.
    Konietzka 7.5 - opens the scoring with a header from a few paces, then serves Brungs 2-0. Mobile attacker and good at backing off and suggesting, the Portuguese defenders don't understand a bit.

Inter Milan vs Real Madrid 1964:
    Mazzola 8 - at the age of 22, he decides a Champions Cup final with two wonderful goals and an assist. What more could you ask for? Worthy of dad Valentino.

Inter Milan vs Liverpool 1965:
    Corso 7.5 - opens the dance with a malicious punishment to return (which he himself had procured), serves Facchetti with a splendid through ball and when he has the ball between his feet he always creates dangers. Irresistible
    Picchi 7.5 - we reward him as a symbol of the Inter backward package. It doesn't even let the drafts pass. Impassable

Benfica vs Manchester United 1966:
    Best 8 - pure cunning on the first goal, pure class on the occasion of the second, closes the game with a no-look assist to Charlton. A thorn in the side of the Lusitanian defense. Maybe not very continuous, but when it lights up it leaves no way out.
    Connelly 7.5 - total weapon, he can play and enter profitably in all positions of the offensive staff. He puts his hand in many attacking actions and stamps the 0-3 goal after a splendid group action
    Charlton 7.5 - usually impeccable conductor, confirms the most complete element of the team. You find him sweeping in his area, setting up the game, inserting himself to finish. He does not even disdain a few strokes of a refined artist. Star player with a capital F

Real Madrid vs Inter Milan 1967:
    Suarez 8 - monstrous performance, as also recognized by the Spanish commentator. Play anywhere: as an added defender in the non-possession phase, as a playmaker when Inter spreads out on the counterattack, as a ruthless raider as in the occasion of the goal. Superfine tactical intelligence, he always knows where the ball is going and where to go on the pitch. The symbol of Herrera's Inter.

Celtic vs Inter Milan 1967:
    Gemmell 8 - left back? No, a devastating weapon, in constant offensive projection. He is the decisive man in the Scottish victory: he finds the 1-1 with a terrible stone, hits a crossbar, forces Sarti to make other super interventions, starts the action of 2-1. Unstoppable
    Sarti 8 - if Inter remain on par until five minutes from the end, they owe it exclusively to him. He makes an endless series of insane saves, using feline reflexes and an impressive backstroke. How long would it have ended without him?

Manchester United vs Benfica 1968:
    Charlton 8 - a train, simply unstoppable. He is the beacon of the whole English maneuver, he touches an industrial quantity of balls and proves to be lethal in the goal area: he opens the dances with a splendid aerial twist that is worth 1-0, closes the accounts in extra time after an action that he himself starts and then concludes with a mocking touch on the far post. Total weapon.
    Best 7.5 - sometimes he is a little too in love with the ball and misses some support. But when it lights up, slipping into the folds of the Portuguese defense, it's a show. Pirouettes, dribbling, cross and a wonderful goal, dribbling poor goalkeeper Henrique and mocking touch at an unguarded goal. Genius and recklessness

Ajax vs Nuremberg 1969:
    Cruyff 7.5 - Little killer instinct, but that's his only drawback. He starts quietly, in the second half he goes wild. Impregnable with the ball and chain, the opposing defenders can only stop him with a foul. He starts center forward and moves in space, anticipating what his trademark will be in the following years. He touches the big target several times, takes part in the 2-0 action with a nice progression and in the final he packs a dribbling author's net.

Manchester United vs AC Milan 1969:
    Charlton 8 - total player. He sacrifices himself in defense, marking the Milan attackers in turn, sorts an industrial quantity of balls in midfield, runs everywhere and fits in to finish. He scores a power goal and touches another with a volley from outside that finds Cudicini ready. As for overall qualities and completeness, it stands out from all the other 22 in the field by at least a notch.

AC Milan vs Ajax 1969:
    Prati 8.5 - scores a hat-trick on the most important day, the Champions Cup final. Only Di Stefano like him and only Puskas (4 goals in the 1960 final) did better. He does the dress rehearsal already at 1 'hitting a sensational pole diagonally, then he goes wild and stamps two goals as an opportunist, head, and another as a great striker, with a ground-air broadside from the edge. Also good at participating in the offensive action on several occasions. Sumptuous.
    Rivera 8 - Ajax's defenders and midfielders choose to leave him quite free: a huge mistake because one with his innate talent and his clear vision of the game is waiting for nothing else. The heel strike that clears Prati for the 2-0 goal is the first jewel; the triangle with Sormani and the cross in the action of 4-1 is the last. In between, there are lots of top quality plays and a lot of dynamism too. Performance as a true artist of the kick, which is paired with that in the final of 1963.
    Sormani 7.5 - he does not have the feet of Rivera or the killer-instict of Prati, but he is a modern, powerful center-forward who always plays for the squad. Prati needed the 1-0 ball, realizes the 3-1 with a great shot after a downhill ball and chain and also puts a hand in the fourth goal. Impregnable

I've shown the years the tournament ended, like on the site too, rather than seasons, so some of these games in early rounds will have been played towards the end of the previous calendar year.

I'll continue with 70s games, and then probably stop there for today....

Edhardy, carlito86 and Legolas10 repped this.
  20. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    The footage especially camera, colour has such an aesthetic look in this game

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Feyenoord vs AC Milan 1970:
    Van Hanegem 7.5 - heart and brain of the team: he recovers balls in quantity, dictates the times in between, he fits in to conclude. Crown a generous and all-out performance with the gore that gives his team the qualification

Atletico Madrid vs Cagliari 1971:
    Aragones 7.5 - achieves the decisive hat- trick that pushes Atletico Madrid to the quarterfinals. He opens the dance with the best goal, a shot from the outside that mocked Albertosi at the near post; doubles on a penalty and closes the games with a comfortable tapin. Its big night.

Ajax vs Celtic 1971:
    Cruyff 8 - few plays, but all of quality and above all all decisive. He opens the dance with a billiard shot, gets the punishment from which the doubling arises, Keizer serves for the 3-0 after an irresistible idea. He starts as a center forward, but then - as usual - he loves to move backwards and to vary on the whole offensive front, taking advantage of absolute technical skills and a unique speed.

Ajax vs Marseille 1972:
    Cruyff 8.5 - unstoppable, devastating, impregnable: you choose the most appropriate adjective. It travels a little bit by bit, but when it turns on it leaves indelible footprints. Cross, dribbling and fantastic ball control, he scores two author goals and goes close to three of a kind on two more occasions. From his feet also comes the goal for Haan's 4-1. A match in which he makes everyone understand why the Italian sports journalist Gianni Brera had renamed him the "Pele Bianco".
    Keizer 8 - the other great protagonist of the triumph. Touch a sea of balloons and create an impressive array of dangers. The French defense doesn't know how to stop him, he slips away anyway. He does not score, but signs up for the evening by signing three assists. An unforgettable performance

Borussia Monchengladbach vs Inter Milan 1972:
    Bordon 8 - a wall on which Borussia Mg systematically slams. Make at least three interventions of great depth, always perfect in the outputs, he saves a penalty. The symbol of Inter's qualification
    Netzer 7.5 - architrave of the German maneuver, he puts his magic foot in every attacking action, touches the goal with broadsides from afar, creates a continuous jet game. He has physique, dynamism, game vision and excellent technique: a complete midfielder of the highest quality. Its only limit is that, perhaps, at times, it reflects itself too much

Ajax vs Arsenal 1972:
    Wilson 7.5 - The best in the field because if Arsenal keeps their qualification hopes alive they owe it to the vein of their goalkeeper: several decisive interventions, perfect in both ground and high grip exits.

Ajax vs Inter Milan 1972:
    Cruyff 7.5 - not seen very much, also because Oriali follows him as a man and marks him anything but badly, but then he scores the decisive double: lucky to open the dances, taking advantage of an aerial clash between Bordon and Frustalupi; very good at inserting the doubling of the head, mocking the defense deployed. Illuminated.

Ajax vs Bayern Munich 1973:
    Haan 8 - scores a very heavy brace, opening the dance with a tapin sill after Maier's oversight and realizing the 3-0 with a precise header. He shows up in shooting on other occasions. He runs everywhere, fighting for every ball. Not a fine speaker, but a midfielder all phosphorus and attributes who finds a magical evening, perhaps the best of his career
    Krol 7.5 - towering in defense, where he always plays with his head held high and concedes very little to the Bavarian forwards both in the wing and when he focuses. Very effective even when he goes up, he hits a post from afar with a spin and catches Cruyff with a wonderful cross for the final 4-0
    Cruyff 7.5 - after half an hour, a bit muted, it lights up and begins to sow panic. It goes to pieces, but it hurts very badly: it serves the assist of 3-0, closes the accounts with the pumpkin that is worth the poker, drives the direct scorer Roth mad with his proverbial and devastating speed.

Ajax vs Real Madrid 1973:
    Krol 7.5 - plays an almost perfect match, with only one drawback: the foul on Santillana at the edge of the area, which leads to Real Madrid's goal. For the rest, nothing is wrong: elegant, precise and very clean in defensive interventions, sumptuous when he rises with his head held high, attacker added in the opponent's area. Auspicious the 1-0 header and signs an encore with a razor burn on a free kick that gives Garcia Remon no escape.
    Garcia Remon 7.5 - f Real Madrid keeps the qualification speech open, it owes it exclusively to him. He made three or four very difficult interventions, avoiding a goleada.

Dynamo Dresden vs Bayern Munich 1974:
    Hoeness 7.5 - the qualification bears his signature above all. He struck two goals within two minutes, mocking the very high defense of the hosts, in the second half he started the action that led to the definitive 3-3. Movement forward, technical and complete.

Bayern Munich vs Atletico Madrid (replay) 1974:
    Muller 8 - scores two goals as a great center forward (the first with a powerful diagonal, the second with a wonderful lob), hits a sensational head post and gives life to a series of quick exchanges that put in shows not only a remarkable "killer instict", but also an excellent technical background. The prototype of the perfect center forward.
    Hoeness 8 - Assists Muller in the demolition of the Spanish defense. Two goals as a pure counter-attacker, one assist, combines speed, power and a sense of play. Cyclonic.
    Beckenbauer 7.5 - some venial errors cannot spoil a great performance. He touches a sea of balls, he is at the same time the last bastion of the game and the director of the team. Throws from the outside and always with your head held high, first touches, elegance and intelligence. A Di Stefano from the defensive midfield.
    Breitner 7.5 - runs for three and confirms that he can play almost anywhere. The launch that opens the field for Hoeness's 1-0 is splendid, it also puts a hand in the fourth goal. Cross, direction, contrasts and tactical sagacity: mister utility.

Barcelona vs Linz 1975:
    Rexach 8 - Delight the audience with class numbers and enter 4 out of 5 goals: a goal from a penalty at the end of an action that he himself initiates; a heel assist to the kiss; and puts the initial paw in the other two networks. Day of grace.

Barcelona vs Feyenoord 1975:
    Rexach 8 - four chances and four goals. One is canceled, the other three are regular and allow Barcelona to finish in triumph. An unforgettable night.
    Cruyff 7.5 - a goal is devoured, but it doesn't matter. He is the author of a total performance: he folds in defense, builds and embroiders the game and serves Rexach three chocolates that are only to be discarded and deposited at the bottom of the bag. King of assists

Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid 1976:
    Beckenbauer 8 - Muller scores two incredible goals, true, but this time we reward him. His match borders on perfection. He commits a single, venial mistake at 28 'of the second half, when his launch from the rear is lost in the void. He touches an industrial quantity of balls, climbs to direct the game in the middle of the field, initiates the action of the first goal and in defense confirms that he has regal timing and sense of position. All permeated by the usual incredible naturalness, in the touches and movements.
    Muller 8 - He places an incredible stone from the edge and opens the dances for the 1-0, doubles with the usual hole punched precisely to the millimeter, participates in various attacking actions and knocks the defenders of Real down. As always decisive in Bayern's successes

Liverpool vs Borussia Monchengladbach 1977:
    Heighway 7.5 - a thorn in the right flank of the German defense. It drives poor Klinkammer mad, he often focuses and sows panic all the same. You need the assists for the first two goals (the first a real jewel) and touches the personal marking with a shot from an impossible position.

Liverpool vs Borussia Monchengladbach 1978:
    Ray Kennedy 8 - real man everywhere. Precious in defensive retreats, he continuously assists the development of the game, enters to finish and crashes Borussia with a header and two assists. Lungs of steel, but also an enviable technical repertoire.

Malmo vs Nottingham Forest 1979:
    Francis 7.5 - a tornado in the right lane, which sweeps away any opponent or obstacle. Technique, speed and dribbling in series: it looks like a little Garrincha. And he stamps the decisive goal with a deflection of robbery under the goal.

Legolas10 repped this.
  22. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Among Messi's performances for his National Team , i think this is a definite candidate to be his best game ever . Probably it is .
    For me ,it seems to be a 9.5+ game , or one of extremely few games for National Team where he can possibly get a score close to 10 perhaps

I would like others opinions and evaluation here regarding it .

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Continuing the GameOfGoals site ratings of 7.5 or above, with 80s European Cup performances....

Hamburg vs Real Madrid 1980:
    Kaltz 8 - absolute master of the right wing: he pushes, pulls back and starts again at an impressive speed. Punctual in crosses, effective in dribbling, always proactive in communicating with teammates. Enhances a performance to remember with a signature double, transforming the rigor with coldness and putting a cannon shot from the edge.
    Hrubesch 8 - with more punctuality sidelines he could have scored a poker, perhaps a pokerissimo. He does an impressive job on the front line, always catching Real's defense unprepared and putting two fundamental seals for the Hanseatic triumph. Memering's 5-1 assist was also his.

Nottingham Forest vs Hamburg 1980:
    Shilton 7.5 - performs three, four extraordinary interventions, saving the result. Bravo even when he comes out of the goalposts. Demonstrate personality to sell, great technical fundamentals and a spectacular and profitable style. World-class goalkeeper.

Juventus vs Aston Villa 1983:
    Platini 8 - it is not only for the two goals, the first is lucky, the second one of intuition and class. But it is because of the constant presence in the heart of the game. Touch a sea of balls, combine quantity and quality, give the game the rhythm it wants from the top of a sumptuous elegance. It is truly “Le Roi”.

Widzew Lodz vs Juventus 1983:
    Platini 7.5 - all Juve's actions pass from his feet to honey. The assist for Rossi's 1-0 is a marvel: triple dribbling in a few meters and a very sweet ball to jump over the defense. He opens the counterattack in the action that leads to the penalty on Boniek and from the spot he is very cold in the transformation.

Hamburg vs Juventus 1983:
    Magath 7.5 - for over an hour he gives football lessons, then drops and in the end he also devours the possible brace. However, his performance remains enormous against a Juventus on the strongest card. And above all the pearl of the goal remains, a right of rare beauty and precision that makes Zoff dry.

Roma vs Dynamo Berlin 1984:
    Graziani 7.5 - it's his big day. He puts in the 1-0 as a ruthless opportunist, touches other goals and also puts a hand in the other two goals. Generous, shrewd, never tame

Roma vs Dundee United 1984:
    Pruzzo 7.5 - the statistics speak for themselves, with two goals scored by a true robber and a penalty obtained. It also goes close to the third personal network. Ideal terminal for a team that produces a lot of play and verticalizes a lot.

Juventus vs Bordeaux 1985:
    Platini 8 - plays an extraordinary first half for the quality of the plays and presence in the game: a splendid launch for Boniek's network. In the second half, he goes to a small trot and wakes up only when strictly necessary, with another assist for Briaschi and above all with the fabulous goal on the fly that sends Juve one step away from the final.
    Briaschi 7.5 - his great night, not only for the "smart" goal that is worth 2-0 and definitively directs the match. Fight like a lion, play many interesting balls, start the action of 3-0 and touch another net with a grazing diagonal from a distance

Steaua Bucharest vs Barcelona 1986:
    Duckadam 9 - parrying four out of four penalties in a Champions Cup final is something unique, shocking, unrepeatable. A company that consigns him into myth and allows an Eastern team to be crowned European champion for the first time in history.

Juventus vs Real Madrid 1987:
    Buyo 8 - the two saved penalties are the icing on an evening of glory. Sometimes his style is not flawless, but it doesn't matter: he is always extraordinarily effective and this is the worst news possible for Juventus fans. The same goes for Tacconi: if Real does not concede the second goal, it is thanks to him. The decisive man in the qualification of the blancos.
    Tacconi 7.5 - if Juventus does not concede a goal in the 120 'it is his credit. Performs a series of extraordinary interventions and against the laws of physics. Good at neutralizing even Hugo Sanchez's penalty in the final lottery. He could do more on Juanito's. But it would have been absurd to ask him for more ...

Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid 1987:
    Augenthaler 8 - opens the dances with the 1-0 lash, touches an encore in other circumstances, always has the ball in his hand and when he starts the ball and chain he looks like a downhill skier in the middle of the poles. He plays in constant offensive projection and sometimes he forgets to defend: you see the unfortunately lost ball at the start that could have cost a lot or the lack of closure on Butragueno's flicker. But afterwards he is largely forgiven. Total weapon.
    Wohlfarth 7.5 - perhaps unexpected protagonist, he enters numerous attacking actions, scores the 3-0 with a soft touch and the rigor of safety is born from his cross.

Porto vs Bayern Munich 1987:
    Madjer 7.5 - creates the most beautiful and important goal, one that is worth the equal prominence and the inertia of the meeting with a stroke of pure instinct, which becomes known as the "heel of Allah." Three minutes later, panic in the left lane and fish Juary for the overtaking spot. Symbol of triumph.
    Juary 7.5 - enters and splits the game in two, thus rewarding the intuition of the coach Jorge. Madjer needed 1-1, then the Algerian returned the favor and he bagged the 2-1 in a flying split. In the final he goes close to the trio on the counterattack

Real Madrid vs Napoli 1988:
    Garella 7.5 - if Napoli remains afloat and limits the passive, it owes it to him. From medium or short range, it carries out numerous decisive interventions.

Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid 1988:
    Butragueno 7.5 - the usual, ruthless, area killer, which gives few points of reference to the opposing defense and gives no escape at the first useful opportunity. Play a lot for the team, touch different balls, create dangers in series. His paw that reopens the games, then gets the punishment from which the 3-2 is born. Determinant.

AC Milan vs Real Madrid 1989:
    Ancelotti 7.5 - the palm must be shared with Rijkaard and Donadoni. We reward Carletto because he is the one who directs the match on the Rossoneri tracks, with a tracer from outside that surprises Buyo. Always present in the game, he sorts an industrial quantity of balls and runs for two.
    Rijkaard 7.5 - dynamism and insertions, he does an extraordinary job and takes away the whim of scoring a goal with a prodigious header.
    Donadoni 7.5 - refines the maneuver with fine touches, moves everywhere, gives Gullit (grade 7 ) the 3-0 chocolate and in the second half he sets up on his own signing the pokerissimo.

AC Milan vs Steaua Bucharest 1989:
    Gullit 8.5 - thank goodness he hadn't reached his best in this final… He plays a huge match, due to strength, speed and energy. He opens the dance with a robbery goal, drives the Romanian defense crazy with devastating percussion, takes a pole and sublimates a masterpiece match with a beautiful goal for coordination and timing. Hurricane.
    Van Basten 8 - half a step below his attacking mate, but still the creator of a capital game for elegance and incisiveness. He scores a splendid header, finds an encore with a diagonal on the grass and paired with Gullit he gives life to fantastic plays.
    Maldini 8 - paraphrasing what Fulvio Bernardini said of the Brazilian winger Julinho "a full-back can reach Maldini, no further". Stratospheric performance: closes and restarts with a unique punctuality, fits without the ball, systematically plays ahead of anyone who comes within range and does not miss an intervention
    Donadoni 8 - another key to triumph. Refined and technical player, but also gifted with extraordinary humility. He works behind the scenes and when he can he becomes the protagonist, moving equally well on both sides of the field: he touches an infinite number of balls, Gullit serves for the 3-0 and in the second half he is the most dangerous Rossoneri.
    Rijkaard 8 - he rises with blows along the way and he too enrolls in the register of absolute protagonists. The launch that sends Van Basten into the goal for poker is splendid, he deserves the goal for his perseverance, determination and temperament.
    Baresi 7.5 - always present and effective when called upon. Difficult to go away in one on one, it combines substance, charisma and an excellent sense of position. Sometimes he is also the first director of the maneuver with long range throws.

Like I said previously, obviously there'd be some other performances I'd be including myself (like Rivera at Man Utd in 68/69 too, to refer back to the 60s games again): Michael Laudrup at home vs Barcelona in 85/86, or Van Basten at home vs Real Madrid in 88/89 for example (on the other hand I remember I actually had Baresi as MOTM in the final vs Steaua), but I think it's worthwhile to have these performances listed, with the descriptions translated too anyway.

It seems to be suggested that another performance I'd have been including was on the verge of it and the missed penalty prevented it - Savicevic vs AC Milan at home in 88/89 (it's said that Stojkovic is deemed the best of Red Star Belgrade only because of the missed penalty - it's a bit the opposite of the game vs Argentina in the 1990WC where Stojkovic himself is the best player but misses the penalty I suppose). Stojkovic gets a 7 in both legs vs Milan by the way: I'm not listing 7s in general obviously as that would be maybe going too far and would bring in a lot more performances to mention too. Jumping ahead to World Cup games, it seems like Bossis vs W.Germany in 1982 also gets a bit downgraded because of missing a penalty in the shoot-out, similarly, where he has a credited performance in general, which I agree with I remember - actually going with him as MOTM despite the penalty miss I think (I'll get to the World Cup games later, not necessarily today)....

I'll get the 90s European Cup games added now (that's as far as it goes in that competition, except for games from the last couple of seasons, which I'll probably add last along with Euro 2020 games for example)....

Buyo and comme repped this.
  24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    AC Milan vs Real Madrid 1990:
    Van Basten 7.5 - a constant threat to the defense of Real. Not at his best physically, but he plays a fantastic game in terms of quality and application. The assist for Rijkaard's 1-0 was splendid, he obtained the penalty and transformed it with the usual safety. Absolute symbol of this Milan.

AC Milan vs Mechelen 1990:
    Van Basten 7.5 - after an opaque first half, he gradually rises to the chair and in the decisive moment stands a notch above everyone. Hypnotized by Preud'homme twice in the second half, at the end of the first extra period he finds the right opening, he sings on Tassotti's cross and puts in a goal of capital importance. He plays for large sections of the match as a director's midfielder inspiring his teammates with brilliant verticalizations and goes close to a personal encore with a delicious conclusion in the final
    Donadoni 7.5 - he best would be him. Clearly. But the foolish ejection spoils a performance that would have been 8-8.5. Until that moment he had put the defense of Malines to fire and sword with dribbling, accelerations, assists, shots: a technical space sample for an evening as an absolute protagonist
    Filippo Galli 7.5 - facing the reserve. He does not miss a defense intervention, canceling and anticipating anyone who stands in front of him. It also dominates all air balloons
    Maldini 7.5 - manual of the perfect left-back. Deletes De Wilde from the field, systematically anticipating him with veronica, slips, continuous cuts in the game without the ball. Not an intervention or a wrong passage. Often he also proposes forward, but he is little served by his comrades on the left offensive out.
    Preud'homme 7.5 - If Malines succeeds in extending the match in extra time, it's his credit. Several extraordinary interventions, some of considerable difficulty. A wall against which the Rossoneri forwards systematically slam.

Napoli vs Ujpest 1991:
    Maradona 8 - It wasn't at its best and in fact it doesn't move very much, but it gives pearls. Whenever he has the ball between his feet, he always gives the feeling of being able to create a danger, whether it is an inviting cross for a teammate or a vertical assist. He crowns his night (which coincidentally also coincides with the feast of San Gennaro for the Neapolitans) with two goals. The first is an unforgettable magic, the second an opportunist twist.
    Alemao 7.5 - A couple of errors in support, just because you have to nitpick. Performance as a total midfielder, who defends, recovers, suggests and commands. Baroni's 1-0 assist is needed. Touch the goal with a missile from outside. He is the architrave of the team.

Marseille vs AC Milan 1991:
    Waddle 7.5 - puts the Milan defense on fire, scores a splendid goal and in the final it occurs in a coast to coast that at times does not give the 2-0. In addition to his feats on the pitch, he is a leader because he repeatedly encourages the Velodrome audience.

Bayern Munich vs Red Star Belgrade 1991:
    Prosinecki 7.5 - it's a pity the drop in the last 20 minutes, because for over an hour he plays a superb match. Accelerations, dribbling and veronica: in midfield no one can take away the balls. In addition, it combines an enviable vision of the game, as confirmed by the splendid launch from the defense that favors Binic's sprint and leads to the equalizer.

Sampdoria vs Red Star Belgrade 1992:
    Mancini 7.5 - a feast for the eyes. He scores the 1-0 with the complicity of Nedeljkovic, then gives flashes of great football between heel strikes, openings and accelerations. Sublimates a performance from mvp with the launch for Vialli that is worth 2-0.

Red Star Belgrade vs Sampdoria 1992: (this is the game Vialli is very well scored in by the sources referenced on Football-Ratings-Blogspot as shown in the post of comme I quoted yesterday by the way, but on GameOfGoals he gets a 6.5, as he does in the other leg too - still a decent grade by Italian standards but not so high)
    Mancini 7.5 - as in the first leg, the extra man of this team is confirmed. In all three Sampdoria goals there is his signature: he favors Katanec's 1-0 with an intelligent ball protection, offers Vialli the ball that leads to 2-0 with Vasiljevic's own goal and closes the accounts with the network of 3-1. Inspired and decisive

Barcelona vs Sampdoria 1992:
    Koeman 7.5 - second Champions Cup won in his career after the one at PSV in 1988 and as a great protagonist. He is the main director of every action of Barcelona and makes up for some defensive flaws with timing and sense of play. He drags his team on the roof of Europe with the magic punishment that crumbles the resistance of Sampdoria.

AC Milan vs Gothenburg 1993:
    Van Basten 9 - perhaps the best match of his career. As mentioned in the introductory hat, the feeling is that his flight stopped just as he was about to get even stronger. Against Gothenburg he plays a heavenly game, not only for the four goals, but also for the vision of the game, the setbacks in finishing, the movements of an authentic ballet dancer. Legendary performance.

PSV Eindhoven vs AC Milan 1993:
    Rijkaard 7.5 - dominates in the middle of the field and not only for the header that opens the dance. Total midfielder performance, found practically everywhere. Dynamism, determination and quality at the service of the team.

Barcelona vs Porto 1994:
    Stoichkov 7.5 - two comfortable goals to direct the match immediately and a great job of connecting and assisting the offensive maneuver on both sides. Also dangerous in crosses and assists. Total weapon.

AC Milan vs Barcelona 1994:
    Savicevic 8.5 - it's his big night. When he's so inspired, it becomes really hard to contain. Accelerations, dribbling, veronics, technical virtuosity in series. The assist for the first goal. The jewel of 3-0. And then some excess too much, typical of his “genius and recklessness” character.
    Desailly 8 - a sensational dam in front of the defense, but it is not limited to recovering balls. He grows with the passing of the minutes, dominating athletically and in terms of rhythm against the bewildered Blaugrana midfielders. The 4-0 goal is the right reward for a huge performance.
    Massaro 8 - essential, surgical, lethal. Like a snake, it slips through the shirts of the Barcelona defense and strikes in cold blood when it counts. His brace that in the first half decisively directs the meeting.
    Albertini & Panucci 7.5 (given a joint write-up) - two Martians too. The first assists Desailly in the middle of the field and the 1-0 and 3-0 goals are born from his feet; the second grinds kilometers on the wing, overwhelms anyone who appears in front of him and also scores a goal (canceled).

AC Milan vs Paris Saint Germain 1995:
    Savicevic 7.5 - when he lights up, the Parisian defense fails to contain him. He made the decisive brace with two poisonous low shots and confirmed himself as Milan's man on the offensive front

Juventus vs Ajax 1996:
    Peruzzi 7.5 - His game is quite contradictory: he is not free from flaws during the game, even if he is good at remedying (see the intervention on Kanu). Wrong badly on the occasion of Litmanen's goal, but neutralized two penalties. The hero can only be him.
    Torricelli 7.5 - He's the hero you don't expect. On the left, he concedes almost nothing to either Musampa or Ronald De Boer. In the second half he pushes like a locomotive on the right wing, creating dangers several times. The working class goes to heaven.

Ajax vs Juventus 1997:
    Vieri 8 - One of the best matches of Bobo in the course of his career, probably the most beautiful in Europe and elsewhere, at least at certain levels. A goal (with his right foot, not his foot), two more occasions, illuminating sides, doors and a continuous movement that puts the Ajax defenders in crisis. The agreement with Nick "Hot Foot" Amoruso is applause.
    Di Livio 7.5 - The Soldier combines quantity and quality lungs with quality plays on the right wing. Always present in both phases, he does not spare himself in recoveries and repeatedly brushes cross and combines with the tips. Great game.
    Jugovic & Deschamps 7.5 (brief mention for Deschamps) - Together with Didier Deschamps (vote 7.5 to him too) he is the absolute master of the midfield: triangulations, first touches, dribbling and even a tunnel. The man of the last penalty of the final in Rome as soon as he sees "Ajax" is unleashed.

Juventus vs Ajax 1997:
    Zidane 7.5 - From the first minutes he seems inspired in his throws and in the quality of the maneuver, even if there are moments in which he is absent. Juventus' last two goals come from his absolute class flashes, the stadium gives him a well-deserved ovation at the time of the substitution.
    Deschamps 7.5 - Zidane gets the palm of best in the field for the heaviness and beauty of the plays, but the other Frenchman is no less impressive in terms of performance: continuous and intense throughout the game, he steals balls and cleans them up, he also disguises himself as a prompter. As in the first leg, he is among the best in the field.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    They have a few of the older Intercontinental Cup games on there too, so that's a good place to continue....(starting with the game which Legolas10 posted on here not long ago - Pele gets a 7 with remarks about a better second half, including an assist on a wrongly disallowed goal, than first half)

AC Milan vs Santos 1963:
    Rivera 8 - Superb performance, he technically dominates the midfield directing the entire team. Openings, unmarked touches, continuity, insertions. Wonderful assists for Amarildo and Mora's goals. Close to scoring several times, stopped only by an excellent Gilmar
    Amarildo 8 - The fact of playing against his countrymen and against that Pele who very well replaced the World Cup the year before gives him an extra boost. Assist for Trapattoni's first goal, then a brace of applause and a lot of fight (often no holds barred) against the Santista defense.
    Trapattoni 7.5 - He wins almost all the duels with Pele, even if a couple of flashes are enough for the other to make the difference anyway. Trapattoni, however, plays a crazy match for dedication and spirit of sacrifice, confirming himself as a ruthless scorer on man. The goal that opens the dance is also wonderful

Inter Milan vs Independiente 1964:
    Corso 7.5 - Superfine ball control and technical applause despite a pitch made slippery by the rain. His classy plays and his movements allow Inter to create dangers, breaking the opponent's defensive wall. It is he who initiates the action of the victory and it is he who ends it with a surgical left

AC Milan vs Estudiantes 1969:
    Sormani 8 - old-fashioned center-forward, effective even on the wing when not in possession of the ball. He opens the dance with a clever header, sends Combin into the goal for the 2-0 and closes the score in the second half with a right of rare beauty and precision. Its big night.