The Best Films of This Decade (2000- )

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by GringoTex, Aug 24, 2006.

1. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    no man's land
    crouching tiger hidden dragon

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Superb choice.

I also second 40 Year Old Virgin, the thinking man's frat pack movie. It's more thoughtful and human than it has any business being.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Jack Black has never, ever, ever had a role wheer he didn't overact the shit out of it.

I can't watch that guy for more than 10 minutes without resenting it.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Which is why he worked so well as Barry.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He pretty much ruined that movie for me. Actually Cusack was pretty terrible too. The girl was cute though.

But, thats just me.

6. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Have to agree. HF is probablythe acme of his dramatic art.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Why people love John Cusack is one of the great mysteries of the ages. He has starred in terrible movie after terrible movie after terrible movie, and he has acted poorly in every single one of them.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Confessions, to me, is also an indictment not only of television, but of its audience in a slightly different way than normal. A lot of films critical of the "tv-reality," like Quiz Show, treat it as a trick foisted upon decent-minded people. Confessions treats it as the ultimate device for organizing mass resentment. It's an unflattering reflection of its audience. Chuck Barris, as noted social observer Dick Clark says in the film, was successful because he knew his audience and he was his audience. Whereas in most films about television, there's the hope that if only the right people ran it, it could still be a progressive force. Confessions doesn't offer that hope.

It's funny that with GN & GL, people commented on the journalism aspects and didn't notice the television part, even though similar themes about television pop up in that film, too.

I agree completely on Adaptation and your assessment of its differences with Confessions. I say it this way, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind is the only film where Charlie Kauffman completes his thoughts. Or maybe George Clooney completes his thoughts for him. Maybe that's why Charlie supposedly dislikes the film so much, that he wasn't able to just horse around with whatever semi-idea struck his fancy lately.

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

"Lost in Translation" was liked a story based on me. I had the exact experienses in the same neighborhood -- Shinjuku, Japan -- a year or so before the movie came out. I also spent some time at that bar in the hotel. I was not an aging Hollywood actor. I was only 33, but I was and still is married. Of course, there was a girl in Shinjuku.... a girl I tried to forget. :) My ending was similiar to what happened to Murray, except she cried and never ran after me in a taxi. I read the plot..... hmmmm, it was based on me. So my expectation of the movie was high when it first came out. So I did not like the movie, but I will see it again someday.

On top of head.... City of Gold.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I forgive him due to Grosse Pointe Blank, though repeated viewings of that movie are more due to the fact that I am in love with Minnie Driver's character.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    And one of his best friends is Jeremy Piven. :p

12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How about we break them down into genres? Don't know if anyone would take the time to do that, I'm kind of busy, but it would be interesting to see what we can put together.

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had a platonic affair with Scarlett Johansen? You live a more interesting life than I do.

14. SoccerNova2009

SoccerNova2009 New Member

Aug 19, 2000
    probably at a bar
    Equilibrium (2002) d Kurt Wimmer
    Hero (2002) d Yimou Zhang
    House of Flying Daggers (2004) d Yimou Zhang
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000) d Ang Lee

Best new action star of the decade - Tony Jaa - Muay Thai style fighter with films Ong Bak and The Protector (which opens in US in 2 weeks). He is the Martial Arts successor to Jet Li who is retiring from action films after Fearless. Incredible stuff.

15. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I just realized there's a distinct lack of love for the art house/film school favorite "Shaolin Soccer".

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Grosse Point Blank was pretty good.

17. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought "Kung Fu Hustle" was great.

But "Shaolin Soccer" was a mess, in my opinion. Not very engaging on any of the levels it was shooting for. And I love HK movies, Kung Fu movies, and soccer.

18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    15 more

24 Hour Party People (2002, d. Michael Winterbottom)
    All the Real Girls (2003, d. David Gordon Green)
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002, d. George Clooney)
    Howl's Moving Castle (2004, d. Hayao Miyazaki)
    In the Bedroom (2001, d. Todd Field)
    Little Miss Sunshine (2006, d. Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris)
    Mystic River (2003, d. Clint Eastwood)
    Oldboy (2003, d. Chan Park-Wook)
    Pride and Prejudice (2005, d. Joe Wright)
    The Proposition (2006, d. John Hillcoat)
    The Return (2003, d. Andrei Zvyagintsiv)
    The Royal Tenenbaums (2001, d. Wes Anderson)
    Russian Ark (2003, d. Aleksandr Sokurov)
    Solaris (2002, d. Steven Soderbergh)
    Unbreakable (2000, M. Night Shyamalan)

19. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's something about the films that I flat-out can't get into. I can't make myself read the books again either. I used to love the books and enjoyed the first two movies, but by the time the third rolled around, looking at it all just made me think, "So what?"

I think it's much better than any of the other kung fu films released stateside so far this decade. House of Flying Daggers wasn't anything special; the action wasn't good enough for how predictable the plot was. Hero thought it was much better than it actually was. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was okay, but it didn't have a gay kung-fu master tailor, so it loses out as well.

20. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Guess I'm the only one here that didn't like Unbreakable.

What do you guys think of Mar Adentro(The Sea Inside) by Amenábar?

21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So in a movie about the writer of the movie you're watching writing a movie about a book that ends in such a "Hollywood" way, you don't think it is in any way a commentary on the film business/writing proccess? Especially when the writer creates a fake twin brother who comes up with the plot to Saw III.

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Hate it! Hate it! Oh Heavens to Betsy, do I hate this movie. One last strichnine lullaby for a continent that has been in slow motion suicide for a century, at least. No one offers any resistance to the Bardem character to him that doesn't turn out to be a pushover, and anyone who dares to disagree with Bardem's character gets treated like an inhuman ogre. And just when it looks like he might find some resistance in the female attorney, lo and behold, she winds up in the same predicament and comes to see the absolute saintliness of his desire. I mean, this is a movie with a court scene that only shows only one lawyer speaking. That's how one sided this whole thing is. Gosh, I hate this movie.

Just one man's opinion, though.

23. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
  24. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Was "The Princess and the Warrior" this decade? I'd add that.

25. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either i'm far too dense to understand what made the movie good, or it just wasn't any good.

since i think The Magnificent Ambersons is better than Citizen Kane, you can decide for yourself...;)

and, BTW, i thought A Beautiful Mind was a scam. good story, though.