The Best and Most Beautiful Goal of the 2002 World Cup (Watch it here)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 18, 2002.

1. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i hate the $hit out of mexico but that was a pretty goal by jb...

2. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    By experience

Had I not seen him do the same thing before I would also doubt it was intentional. He's scored several times through out his career like that where his back is to the goal and he just combs it to the opposite side of his momentum. He has excellent body control in the air. The only difference perhaps is the speed in which he did it in and not to mention one of the top world-class defences that was involved when it happened.

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Either the Korean girl or Thierry Henry's gf.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, my bad. Beautiful goal of the World Cup.

I liked Diego Forlan's goal vs Senegal and Brian McBride's against Mexico was set up beautifully. As for near misses, Nakata hitting the bar vs Russia was pretty amazing, an absolute cracker. I think the posts were shaking for a while after that.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edmilson against CR anyone?

5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Someone make a new link- it still won't work for me

or you could just tell me the goal

6. desertfox2

desertfox2 Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Trenton, NJ
    What about Wilmots goal against Japan? That is one that gets overlooked.

Best team goal was Senegal's goal against Denmark.

7. Borghetti's goal was pretty good...he took a well placed chip and managed to flick head it far post under tight defensive pressure. But it was not the best goal. The previously mentioned goal for Korea was definately a great one, maybe the best individual effort. Senegal made an amazing run of passes at speed vs. Denmark, and the finish was convincing. I thought Ronaldinho's free kick, on purpose or not, was the most amazing strike, going upper 90 from about 45 yards. Ronaldo was amazing, and seemed to be able to find space wherever he wanted. I think it was vs Costa Rica where he juked about four guys in the box and buried it. That was a great goal.

8. gibby_03

gibby_03 Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Ohio, USA
    I think all 4 goals in the Japan-Belgium game were great. I just posted in another thread about Innamoto's goal being similar to Owen's in '98 and not getting the credit.

So Wilmots' bicycle kick, Edmilson's volley, and Innamoto's strike are my top three, in no particular order...

9. buckshot

buckshot New Member

Mar 7, 2000
    chicago
    Borguetti's goal was a moment of sheer brilliance. The Korean goal showed phenomenal skill but as far as turning nothing into something JB gets the nod.

10. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.) Uruguay's left footed volley from 19 against Denmark on day 2 was spectacular.

2.) Roberto Carlos's free kick goal against China....

3.) Senegal's counter attack goal against D-Mark

4.) Team effort, McBride header against Portugal from Sanneh cross

5.) Owen's deft touch/finish against Brazil

I give JB's goal honorable mention, it was a remarkable feat of agility & athleticism, and it helped the US avoid Italy in the round of 16, but it wasnt really even in the top 5

There were alot of spectacular goals in the tournament, very few "slop" goals; except of course Ronaldo's 1st in the final after Kahn's fumble.

James

11. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Owen's goal was nothing. The ball came right to him off a defender mistake. Then Marcos committed first and dove the wrong way.

12. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Roberto Carlos just made that free kick because the Chinese defense put the wall in the wrong place. Roberto Carlos was like "what the hell?" and just shot that shi+. Go China.

If you want a great free kick, check out Lee Eul-yong's (Korea) kick against Turkey and Rustu Recber. Simply fantastic. In my opinion the best set play goal in the World Cup.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed, but Owen could easily have shot high, wide, or at Marcos. He managed to put the ball on goal, and it went in. Very good, Michael. Here's your ice cream cone.

The next goal in that same match was my World Cup '02 favorite. The shot itself was nothing special, as Rivaldo is supposed to beat any keeper from that distance with no problem. But what Ronaldinho did to Cole with that

Ohyoudidn'tknow?WeBrasil,bwah-yo'assbettahcallsomebody

stepover was just plain damn ugly. Bro needs to go home and study more video on defending- he obviously had never played against ball handlers of that caliber before, and had no idea what to expect.

14. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    very good goal shame about the guy shouting goal for the duration of the clip. may of been a fluke bot boy those mexicans made it look good. Nothing will ever beat the denis bergkamp goal from 98 though pure genius.

MagOO(who?)

15. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    WHATEVER.

You guys dont notice that the guy covering borgetti is MALDINI.. That the GK was Buffon. .... Its not a easy feat to get the ball to curve and go into the goal ... BANANA HEADER something that is rarely use..
    yeah The ronaldino free kick was good but did it do something new? No it just got a goal because of good kicking and the fluke of the gk..

But Borgetti did something that you dont see that often.. A bananna header ..

16. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    it was a good goal, but not anything that you don't see that often. i don't think there was a great goal like Owen or Bergkamp in '98. i would go with the korean goal as the best of the cup. as a mex nat fan (you not me), i see why you like the goal so much--good goal in an important result. by those standards i really like McBride's goal v Mexico and O'Brien's against Portugal. But I'm not going to claim they are the best goal of the Cup. (just the best for me)

17. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Re: WHATEVER.

Keep trying to find some glimmer of sunshine or continue to live in darkness for 4 more years. It was a nice goal but not the best. It wasn't even the best header by a mexican player. that honor goes to Marquez, right? It's time to move on.

18. Daksims

Daksims New Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Colorado
    The Donovan goal against Portugal was the best. I don't think I've ever seen so much pain involved in an own goal.

19. rob88

rob88 Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Mexico city
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It does not work.

20. AliKarimi

AliKarimi New Member

May 10, 2005
    Tehran
    thats because the link is five years old...