The Barra needs a gut check

Discussion in 'Barra Brava' started by Victory, Nov 6, 2006.

1. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    We could always re-watch the match on tv...that would probably do the trick. ;)
    Seriously, though, I think the most important thing is outreach before, during and after regular season games. As Srdan pointed out, you get a lot more "tourists" for big games, and the groundwork already has to be done. We need to make sure we're teaching folks how to behave properly (don't be a d*ck, sing the full 90', jump if you're physically able, etc.) all year, so that when the playoffs roll around, a majority of the people in the section have at least some clue as to what's expected of them.

What makes the Barra great (intensity, passion, and alcohol) is also going to make it hard to manage, and produce the occasional douchebag who really just needs to be tossed out. I wouldn't trade that for the world, although the drunken douchebag factor is one reason I'm on the 134 side of the aisle (the other being my horrific sense of balance - I can't be standing and bouncing on no seats all game without hurting myself and/or those around me!). I suppose if the Barra and Nest go their separate ways in a new stadium, I'll have some hard thinking (and drinking) to do to figure out where to stand. It would be like mommy and daddy getting divorced and making me choose who I want to live with! :eek:

2. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    HOnestly I would disagree with this prescription- I'm not a regular- living in Cville- but I've been around long enough to know what to do. I got pushed way out in 137-8 and the problem was picking up the chants. I spent most of the game staring at Srdan and trying to lipread and spread the chants. Most of the other folks, newbies or followers or whatever, would follow when I started something, but then would not maintain the same chant over and over again. The suggestion I would have is to get people who lead the songs spread a little wider out, but close enough to one another that they can here the person on either side and have them push the chants that way. Mustering a cluster of hardcores makes for one dense area, but then you lose it after that. I agree that there is a problem, but don't think density is the solution.

3. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    I brought my buddy to this game- his second and the friendliness was the part he kept on mentionig as impressing him. He know wants to be part of every game next year. A perfect example of where being open wins guys who will contribute.

4. Vicky V.

Vicky V. Member

Nov 8, 2004
    VA
    Got my "gut check" today. Seriously... Thanks again Sue!

I only made it through the first half yesterday, the second half I sat in my car. (I'm sorry, but I did do my best!) On my way out of the stadium, I could hear the chants/songs and drums. I have missed very few (home) games in the past 6 years and on the few occasions I have had to leave before the end of the game, this was the first time I could hear more than just drums all the way out to the Barra tailgate area. Well, unless there was a goal scored or a nasty foul etc...
    While it may have seemed a little more subdued inside, it definitely didn't sound that way outside.

I am trying to keep this as short as I possibly can as I am honestly not feeling up to thinking let alone typing right now so please don't judge me too harshly if this doesn't exactly come out right.

Being that I've been standing more in 137 than right in the middle of the fun and craziness for the past several weeks, I have had the opportunity to witness first hand what is happening over in 135 from the "outside."
    The only thing I noticed that was different yesterday than all the others was that all of those who are usually bunched up in 135 was spread out over all the other sections. I'm not sure (like I said, I left at halftime) but I wonder if you grouped everyone that was doing their part yesterday into 135 and 136 would it have seemed more like the Barra from the previous week. Just a thought.

5. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think I used the camelback for the game ;-) The only spillage came when someone would take the tip off because they didn't know how to use a camelback.

6. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    We were trying to spread chant leaders throughout the sections last night.
    I was moving around a lot and it seemed like we might have stretched our coordination/communication lines out too much.

It wasn't our best but I seriously don't think it warrants all this. We did our jobs and stayed with our team throughout and even after the game.

Oh yeah I'm supposed to stop visiting BS for awhile.
    Like looking at an accident---you don't really want to look but you do.

7. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    More bad news from the Revs board:
    WTF? Sachin-La Norte? More importantly, who's the co-member chatting with Revs supporters at halftime? Someone needs to turn in his shirt.

[​IMG]

Co-member?:eek:

8. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Too many gaps opening up perhaps but with a crowd that big the only real solution may be to recruit a few more song leaders. (easier said than done)

Also, the further away from the drums you get the harder it is to keep the chants going. This is key I think very few newbies have any problem joining in with the songs, the hard thing for new folks is to keep repeating the chant over and over again. Unfamiliarity with the words/rhythym, prefering novelty, and sheer exhaustion/enthusiasm easily burns out contribute. Drums help over come this as they can drive the chants. Ordinarily keeping all the drums together makes a lot of sense but when the Barra gets so big to easily pick up the drum beat perhaps splitting into two or three clusters might be more effective (as long as the coordination problem can be solved- perhaps designating only one of the clusters of drums with the ability to change the beat.)

Just trying to kick out ideas- feel free to disagree ignore?

9. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I stood at the top of the sections and moved around quite a bit back and forth during the game. It wasn't all that bad. Maybe 135 wasn't up to its usual standards but 136 and 137 even took off singing Srdans "Ganaremos" song. I understand the frustration but people need to chill. We're going thru growing pains and learning as our sections get more amd more packed. It's a problem I'm more than happy to deal with.

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We actually tried to get the drummers more centralized to all the sections last night moving them to the far left of 135. We even wanted them in the middle of 136 but that didn't work out.

11. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    well, at least everything's back to normal.

12. el_nando

el_nando New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    pdx
  13. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There is a reason for veteran leadership and a reason why I have always looked up to the original guys in the Barra. :D

In my opinion there wasnt a damn thing about last night that couldnt have been solved by a SINGLE United goal. Unfortunately it just wasnt meant to be.

There are a lot of intangibles in these things... It can be complex.

I am pissed off, sad, and annoyed by how the evening went, but honestly when I left I also felt we had a season to be very proud of and a lot to be grateful for.

--Doesnt mean I didnt kick my dog when I went home though either :D

14. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did the same...Spent some of the 1st half in 137/138. I stood with Chico durning the 2nd in 136/137 and we yelled our asses off from the top! There was alot on folks walking in and out of the section, I guess they didnt like when I told them they need to yell their asses off if they are going to stand in there.

:confused:

~worm~

15. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a positive note, I contacted Hood College today about possibly transferring and playing soccer there next year... primarily because I want to be a part of the Barra every home game and roadtrip. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find people that get this excited about soccer in western north carolina? The only people like that here are the Scottish kids on the team and their fanatical support of the Scottish National Team and cheering against Chelsea and Celtic.

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Go ahead and criticize people by name - if I'm not good enough just let me know and I'll take my 4 season tickets elsewhere.

Call me old fashioned, but I was under the impression that I am not being paid to entertain but rather, I pay to BE entertained. Ian Plenderleith got it right in his last column - the 12th man has been showing up when the other 11 haven't bothered. Last week against the Metros I caught myself yawning - because the game was DULL. Sorry, I can't force myself to be more excited about being there than the players are.

I thought I joined a supporters' group, not the army (that Nowak's army thing is just a song, right?). I want to watch a soccer match - if I wanted a sing along, I'd join a church and do all day gospel revivals. If the gestapo is going to be keeping track of who sings loud enough and jumps high enough, count me out. Jay, if everyone has to be as hard core as you then the BB will be emptier than it was in August 2004.

17. inca15

inca15 New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    barra brava
    !dc United!!!!!!!!!!!

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ok, now see this is the type of thinking I hoped we could avoid when I first read this thread tonight. (Damn work firewall).

Let me say this to you Bruce, each and every member brings his own identity and personality to the Barra. I know for a fact the our group has been fully enriched by your presense and that of Laurie's and Williams. You know how I feel about young William and would consider it a personal loss if you guys stopped coming to the Barra. I called for all parties to chill and let a few days go by and rethink their positions. The elder guys in the Barra haven't met a problem we haven't been able to overcome. In time we'll deal with this one too and move on.

Do I want all the sections of the Barra bouncing hardcore for 90 minutes? Absolutely. At the cost of losing dedicated family members? Never

19. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I echo Chico in that everyone needs to chill. It's a bitter pill to swallow not getting our cup back and emotions are all fudged up right now. How about everyone take a step or five back, drink a beer, smoke whatever and just freakin chill. All of you are family to me and I love you dearly, but if I have to take my belt off..........;)

20. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...then your pants will fall, thus making it easier for Miss Vicky to spank yer arse. :p

;)

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't ley Jay get to you. He was just in a pissy mood when he started this thread.

:D

22. hexagone

hexagone Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Brussels
    I don't want to go against Chico's call to chill (I was never pissed off to begin with -I thought our performance was slightly disappointing, definitely not pathetic- so I don't really need to calm down), but I will say this. The Brazilian drumming above the BB's sections was a major problem in terms of getting the chants to spread to the more casual sections. Because it essentially meant having to somehow try to ignore the drumming and pick up chants coming from well below the drummers. And even when the drummers were in line with the songs, their play was too complex to really help people sing.

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I've stood next to those guys in Azteca where we were the only US supporters there. I have no problem visiting old friends at halftime.

Sachin

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also have friends who support other MLS teams. I've even spoken to them during games. I won't be turning in my Barra Brava shirts, scarves, hats, whatever.

25. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People in high 135 and low 136 did NOT make room for the drums when we came in. Several of these same people did not chant/sing and I saw several who looked surprised/offended by the salty language. I was fed up with that crap and went back to my usual spot on the aisle between 134 and 135 after haltime drum circle.

If you guys want drums, you've got to make room for us. Try beating steadily for two hours sometime -- we need our space and some chair backs to occasionally rest our drums (and backs - especially mine). Something for y'all to think about.

Jay, if you want to take my earlier comment personally -- so be it. I meant what I said -- you just happened to start this thread.

As I said before, I am disgusted at the blame being thrown Nowak's way over on the DCU board. Players win games. Several of those head honcho whiners were probably previous advocates of the magical 3-5-2 who now are lauding 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. Go figure. I think folks are looking around for something to blame to get over their denial phase. We've seen anger, we are now seeing denial and hopefully soon we will see acceptance.

The team will not look the same in 2007. That is a function of MLS salary "budgets" and the gawd-awful playoff system where a champion is crowned on the basis of a grand total of FOUR GAMES. What a laugh, no wonder regular season games are such beacons of excitement around the league. Anyway, take a moment to reflect on the season and all of the good times we had. The players lost their edge and tried too late to recapture their form. The soccer gods were against us at the end of the season and Sunday night. That's futbol. I think the boys played well and we lost to an excellent and opportune finish.

I hope someday we can see New England actually score a goal in MLS Cup. However, I hope Houston crams the ball down Mariner and Nicols' throats for all of their histrionic gesturing and boring futbol. 'nuf said, I'm out.

GM