The Atmosphere at RFK on Sat. Night

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mellon002, Nov 7, 2004.

1. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I actually thought the crowd last week against the Metros was more boisterous. Maybe because I was in a louder section but I think also that since we entered that game with a 2-goal lead everyone was feeling pretty confident and a bit more rambunctious.

Last night there was always noise but there was also lots of apprehension at times. But it was still loud enought that my ears are ringing this morning.

Great game last night but blowouts are great, too!

2. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I've been to most every DC home game since 1997 and tons of away games and finals. I also watched on the tube the key games in 1996. This is in the top five in atmosphere. It is hard to tell if it was the best, as that is subjective. However, the top five (all at RFK) have all been amazing.

My Top Five Greatest DC Games for Crowd Atmosphere:

5. Eastern Final Game 3 vs Metro 1996. Crowd rushes field in delirium.

4. Eastern Final 2004. Last night was phenomenal. Apprehension and a dead beginning to the second half were what keeps this from rising up to number 2.

3. Eastern Final vs. Tampa Bay - 1996. Back before the great Salvadorean divide, the entire stadium did the wave for 5 minutes in the second half. Not as organized as nowadays, but for pure passion, wow.

2. Eastern Final Game 3 - 1999. The fact that the team lead big early allowed the crowd to really break loose in this one.

1. MLS Cup 1997. 57,431 incredible fans singing in the rain. Nothing I've seen matches the incredible songs filling the entire full stadium. Surreal.

Cheers,
    Tim

3. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    A smattering of fans somewhere behind the Nest, when, right before they presented the trophy to United, the announcer said something about New England. To be fair, most people were still so busy going crazy that they couldn't even hear what the announcer was saying.

4. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I think the Revs supporters were actually in the same section as La Norte, hence the clapping in their direction..

Was anyone else a little spooked at that big Jaime banner? Good illustration but the lack of any definition of the teeth made it seem a bit creepy.. :D

5. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    BBBulldog...you and everyone that made that Jaime banner deserve all the credit in the world. IMO...my favorite DC banner ever. I've already given you too much rep this week! :)

6. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Spooked by the banner? I thought it was one of the most impressive ever. If had more than a $5 in my pocket, I'd have given Srdan a big bonus for the investment I promised. I gotta admit, I couldn't have come close to what he did. Just incredible especially considering the size and how quickly he did it. My wife remarked after the match that it was extremely impressive and when I explained that the dude making it basically did it in 3 days in the dead of the night, she was pretty awed.

Anyway, in the replay broadcast I saw it showed prominently and really just was fitting for a great match for Jaime.

Tim

7. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    big, big ups to the fans down there...one of the threads said it best...watching it on the tube was fun as shyte...
    hearing the noise got me and my boys into it...we usually watch mls games, listen to tunes and drink...
    last night, we watched and turned up the tv on the surround sound...

can't imagine the after-parties...

good luck en la gran final...

8. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    you guys rocked on TV it was awesome

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We're going to relive it today on HD Net in about 37 minutes. See ya in a few, Tim.

:)

10. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was simply amazing. I brought a friend of mine who had never been to a soccer match before. We sat with the Barra and man, how freakin amazing. My buddy is hooked now and will probably be attending more games with me next season!

As for RFK, several times last night, I kept getting chills turning around and checking out all the people standing, cheering, and bouning. It was deafening. There has mever been an experience quite like last night.

No voice, sore knees, and still in euphoria.

Rob

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    When Nicky saved the Dempsey's PK attempt, I just went fricking nuts. I hugged everyone in sight, everyone, and then just sat down on the floor in between the rows and started weeping.

I'm in a complete and utter state of euphoria.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I was dissappointed that the DC supporters didn't rush onto the pitch and celebrate with the team...... Would have made for some great tv news clips.....

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather not end up in a DC jail cell for the night. :)

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If you look at my avatar, that's original picture, it's just outline of Jaime's game pic. Not my bad he's not showing teeth :) I'll have to check original when I get home hehe

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    But ya'll seemed to do it in '96 without a problem. But seriously if 5, 000 of you storm the pitch after the game to celebrate with the team, what they gonna do about it? They get away with it in college football.....

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I made it, but individuals in Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles covered the cost in full with donations and made it possible :) Jaime is easy to do stuff for, he's a demon on the field

17. feverPitch

feverPitch New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    N. VA
    It was awesome, I loved it.

People actually stood and bounced on the "quiet" side! And that was pretty cool, since I'm a season ticket holder on that side. Unfortunately, the seats behind/around us have been unclaimed for awhile, so young soccer teams get put there often, which means I often must endure the Freddy chants. But last night people actually cheered for DC! And stood and bounced a little!

Man, when Rimando saved that PK... I will never forget that. =D My throat still hurts a bit.

18. Roach

Roach Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man what a match! Watched it on the tube and I could tell the atmosphere was electric. Major props to SE, Barra Brava, and La Norte. And to all who screamed for the United and have sore throats this morning. No doubt all the banners were freakin awesome. Man what a match!

19. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a match. d@mn

20. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    The atmosphere was incredible last night. From the moment I got to lot 8 you could feel something special was in store for us. I saw a couple fans I haven't seen in a number of years. They hadn't given up on the team, just certain life events have had them moving to other places. But their support was needed and they were there. Just unbelievable. Inside was incredible, it was loud and you could feel the passion in the stands. It was a night I didn't want to end.

Kudos to the two Rev fans who came up to Lanky, K and I to offer congratulations in lot 8 after wards. That was a classy thing to do.

21. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I've been a DCU fan since 96. Living so far from DC, its hard to get to games regularly, but I think that last night was a turning point for me, I want season tickets next year. This was my third game standing in Barra Brava this season and I brought my sister with me. Thanks to whoever handed her a smoke bomb and a lighter and turned her into a real hooligan...she loved it. The people of Barra Brava are fantastic...the guy next to me during extra time and penalties prayed the entire time...and someone else by me cried (I'm guessing it was MikeLastort? :D). The greatest moment was after the game was over and the players came over to the section. I climbed up on top of a chair and the songs and chants just flowed one after the other from BB and Screaming Eagles. We had a great time.

Next year there will be two new members of BB.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  23. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I'm sorry. While DC put on quite a show, there is nothing quite like a Chicago Fire home match.

Kudos to Barra Brava, Washington D.C., the United fans, and DC UNITED, however, as I wish them the best of luck in defeating the KANSAS (SUCKS) CITY wizards.

24. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There is no top supporter group in any country in the world. There is a top tier made of several groups that strive to outdo each other in different aspects at different times. In US those happen to be groups from DC and Chicago. Next strongest IMO is Portland's Timbers Army.

Now back to our regulary scheduled DC domination :D

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Well, let's hope we see some joyous celebratious pitch invasions at MLS Cup 2004. :)