The Atmosphere at RFK on Sat. Night

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mellon002, Nov 7, 2004.

1. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I know there is an attendance thread, but I think the atmosphere on Saturday night deserves a thread of it's own. I can't begin to describe how awesome it was to see RFK but I'll start by saying this: AMAZING!

Mad props to Barra for the Jaime MVP sign. All the fan clubs were outstanding. One thing the television cameras were not able to pick up was the crowd below the main camera. It was packed. Not one orange seat was showing during play. (The stadium would have been more full at the start if the Will Call line wasn't so long. I was lucky to get in on time.)

I loved all the signs along the upper deck ("Stalin supported the Revolution" was perhaps the best). Just outstanding work for everyone who put the time in to prepare the stadium. Thank you for creating such an amazing atmosphere.

2. dcgoonies

dcgoonies New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Maryland
    Totally agree. A lot of people know the chants now because the supporters groups do such a great job.
    Thanks to Barra for excellent banners.
    Kudos to La Norte for bringing it to Reis. He hates you guys.
    Best game I've ever attended.

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were stuck in a one-mile backup to get into the parking lot. Fortunately, I picked up the tickets yesterday and we only missed the first few seconds of the game. A great atmosphere, even on the quiet side. There was more than just the "Freddy, Freddy" chant going, even some Oles!

4. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    That Jaime banner was absolutely money. The crowd was great; at one point in extra time, I swear to god the ENTIRE stadium was jumping.

5. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I will never, ever forget the roar that sounded when Nicky saved the last PK.

Being inside of 135 for todays game is a memory that wont fade for the rest of my life..

6. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    I liked the "Jesus Loves, Nicky Saves" (Reminds me of the "Jesus Saves, and Espositio Scores on the Rebound" banner) banner. Money baby, money. It just looked fantastic on TV, I wish I could've been there.

7. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I managed to do a deal to get off work ealy tonite.
    I am sure glad I did.
    Tonight was awesome.
    In the front row of the Barra, my brother at my side, my son in front of me.
    ROCKING RFK.
    Mad props to all in the supporters clubs, all 3.
    Ladies and gentleman, we rule.
    RMDad
    Mark

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    What an amazing night!!!

I need to buy tickets because I wanna go to LA.

Yeah!!

9. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    you know, there *were* more people there than just the "supporter" clubs. for example, an entire section of 300s near the jaime sign stood and played drums the entire game. i looked back from my section in 136 and saw everyone on that side standing.

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    everyone within my sightlines in the 200 level on the bouncy side stood the entire match. a lot of people were sitting the in the 300 level.

and the ENTIRE side stood and bounced when Dempsey lined up to take his PK.

11. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    This was an entire 21,000+ effort tonight. As usual, the supporters clubs set the pace. But this shows why DC is the BEST soccer market.

We had METRO FANS trying to get down here to see this!

12. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    yeah, "F-you ref" (ad nauseum). way to set the pace.

13. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That atmosphere rivaled the first pro match I ever attended... in the Maracana for a Rio derby.

That was an incredible moment. Just after that I saw a gurlie in a yellow CSC jacket look to a colleague and mouth a wide-eyed "WOW!".

I'm hoarse, and need a shower to get the powder and micro-confetti off of my body... but I am NOT complaining!

Sachin's fiance is one cool chick.

Reis actually gave La Norte a thumbs up and a smile as he was entering the tunnel when it was all over.

Daale daale daale daale oh! :D

14. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Yup, brought the family for the game, all had a great time. Props to the guy who played drums through out the game, it was kind of hard to follow the SE/BB a bit from the distance, but we sang the whole way.. what a very entertaining close match... and that great final, made it all worth it... now if only my long trip back home, was as fun. -- DC United! DC United! Dale Dale Oh---

Its true, for that last p.k. RFK did feel like it was going to float away...

15. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

What are you getting at?

16. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    That was incredible.

I will say this...anyone who booed the Revs when it was all over must not have been paying attention, because they brought it as hard as DC, and as hard as all the fans. That game wouldn't have been what it was if there hadn't been two heavyweights going toe-to-toe for 120+ minutes.

Ye gods, that ruled.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    ref was lucky there was just a chant :D

it was definitelly stadium buzz, I was in upper bowl taking pics at one point and I could hear a chant coming from each side of stadium. I have some videos from quiet side too, they weren't very quiet :)

18. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it live on FSW and it was the first time watching a MLS game on TV that it sounded and felt like a game would if played in Europe or Latin America or South America. I mean, I could hear you guys singing the entire game, chanting and being loud. Seeing you guys bouncing up and down and yelling and cheering.

DC fans are by far the most educated and in tune group of fans in MLS. The energy I could feel from the TV is the same as from the EPL or Eredivisie or any other leagues that you can watch on FSW. It felt the way a soccer game should fell.

Props to you guys. The hope is that it doesn't take a close play-off game to feel like that again. It's an example for all to live up to.

19. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    I've seen it before, and in DC too. It was a great game from every angle -- but I've seen atmosphere like that before several times. It's one of the highest tier, certainly.

There's been a couple in Chicago at both the old and new SF where it had the same feel and energy from the entire crowd. As far as I know a handful in DC and Chicago has been it in terms of comparisons to your match tonight so far in this league -- It's a special thing. Some rare and precious nights it just all comes together.

Don't mean this to be disparaging in the least, figured there'd be some 'lost in the moment' talk from non-DC (or Chicago) fans about it ;) Damn NE announcers were practically giving la Barra an on-air **************.

20. big spaniel

big spaniel Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Arlington, Virginia
    I could even hear the quiet side chanting "D.C. United!"

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised nobody started a thread post with the title BEST GAME EVER as last evening's game certainly was! Additionally, although cheering was for United, the Revolution should be equally credited... even the beer line was short with all eyes on the field! Man that says something!

I question the attendance figures released for this game...it seems higher that the number given in The Washington Post as 21,000...heck a lot of folks just stood in aisle during game...now it must be much higher than 21,000 figure...

Go United....great game last evening! Thanks Revolution: great team and great competitor!

IntheNet

22. EnglishFan

EnglishFan New Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Richmond, VA
    Still beat the Wizards though ;)

23. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Who booed the Revs?

24. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Best atmosphere of ANY sporting event I've ever been at. EVER. I'm still getting chills thinking about it.

I saw Reis applaud La Norte right before the PK's too. Class.

25. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Be surprised no more. It's not the Best, it's the...
    Greatest Game in MLS History! [R]