The Atlantic Cup

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Sep 22, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Why has this not been posted here with the upcoming DC Scum games???

2. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Who cares all that much about one of these?

3. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I'll be happy when no one even mentions the name of that silly, contrived "cup."

4. Metrofan CP

Metrofan CP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    NJ
    The only cup more contrived than the CONCACAF Giants Cup...

and even CONCACAF had enough sense to pull the plug on that one

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  6. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
  7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  8. Partizan_fc

Partizan_fc New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    New York City
    They upgraded it this year...
    [​IMG]

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    hmmm.... not quite the "Cup" I was getting at.... :)

10. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Yeah, what you're missing is the fact that most of us don't care about it. First, it was invented which is always lame. The open cup needs a trophy, MLS cup needs a trophy, most points out of 4 games doesn't need a trophy. Does every market combination get a cup? Met- NE have the chowder cup, one year clam the next tomato? Metro-Miami get the Godfather cup? (when Miami gets a team again in 2008). etc. When you invent one to hype it for BS marketing reasons, serious fans know when to laugh.

Also, DC won the first one, so it gave us even less of a reason to care (though a lot of people might not admit that). One more DC trophy we didn't have.

Third, Shep Messing was against it. During a game he once said (paraphrasing) "That means nothing to me. Don't invent a cup and give it back and forth to each other, that's stupid". If Shep Messing can detect the inherent lameness, bingo!, you've found a problem.

So, if we win this Thursday or Sunday you might hear a "we've got Atlantic Cups in our Trousers", but that'll be it.

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we've always called it The Greatest Rivalry in MLS.

12. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    DC has started a field hockey team (complete with skirts) so they can win the *real* atlantic cup...

[​IMG]

And just to be sure, Ray Hudson has taken up yachting as well...

[​IMG]

NOTHING will stop DC from their pursuit of all Atlantic Cups.

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's only important to the DC fans, they make a big deal about it every year. I think the average Metros fan could care less about this ficticious cup as long as we beat them.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    MLS has no true rivalries. Haven't you been reading my stuff on MLS Fan Rivalries?

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    It looks like the Metros themselves value the Atlantic Cup more than their fans do..... :(

http://www.metrostars.com/metronews/submissions/2003/september/09232003v1.htm

"Atlantic Cup: The Metros need only one point in either of their two remaining MLS meetings with D.C. United to win the Atlantic Cup. D.C. United currently holds the cup as they took three out of four contests from the “Red and Black” last season.

The Atlantic Cup is given to the team that wins the season series between the MetroStars and D.C. United."

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Of course they do. It's a meaningless marketing tool. Something to parade out on the pitch and claim victory. It doesn't get us into the playoffs, it doesn't win us a "real" trophy. The team hypes it because they have to- it's their job. I don't begrudge them that.

But find me that guy that votes with his wallet on season tickets based on Atlantic Cup trophies. DC won it last year and finished 10th of 10 teams. It got their fans through the winter? First pick in the draft meant more than the dopey Atlantic Cup. (well, would have if they didn't take Eskandarioops)

Real fans know what the deal is. Winning the next three games means more to the team than a MLS marketing trophy. If we win the MLS and Open cup, they can keep the Atlantic cup at Summer's for all I care.

18. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    amen jamison.

hopefully that puts to rest some of the mindless garbage floating around here right before arguably the most important stretch of the season...

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/oped0924connolly.html

Marc Connolly plays up the Atlantic Cup as well....

it seems that the D.C. Scum fans, the Metrostars, MLS, and some sportswriters all care about the Atlantic Cup...... except the Metrostars fans....

not that I'm faulting you guys or anything, after all, I'm not a "real" Metros fan; however I do think it's a bit odd.... maybe you folks are right, and everyone else is wrong.... I dunno.....

20. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    yes, that's almost always the case.

21. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mabye if the Cup had some actual meaning behind it...we would care more about it.

22. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    HOO-RAY for them. I personally fail to see the point behind rewarding a team for doing what it is supposed to do - win a game during the regular season. If you need to manufacture a reason to boost a rivalry or build fan intrest you have bigger concerns to deal with than who has the most points from a season series.

23. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    Maybe if we win the cup this year all ESC can march down Pennsylvania Avenue singing and screaming about the "Atlantic Cup". That would bring attention to it. :D