News: The Atlanta Silverbacks are no more

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Macsen, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to post this here:

Looks like NASL got no buyers for the franchise, so there will be no Atlanta NASL going forward, and certainly no NASL team moving from Atlanta elsewhere as an alternative.

Personally, I think it's a slap in the face to the ATL. The Silverbacks have had a dedicated fan base for years, long before Terminus Legion. Now they are being forced to sit aside for a year.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  2. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it was always going to be a uphill battle with AUFC coming in unless some partnership got worked out, which there is no indication they tried. I just think NASL should stay away from cities with a USL or MLS team already there or coming in.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it have worked as the USL affiliate for the new MLS team- "ATL 2" ?

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would ATLUTD care about keeping the Silverbacks around? Its cheaper and less hassle to just start ATLUTD2 whenever and wherever they want it.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  5. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it cheaper for sure? I do imagine it is less hassle and they can change more things about it easier if they start from scratch.

6. Guil_

Guil_ New Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Or just affiliate a existing team like Charleston Battery

Paulo PT repped this.
  7. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My question was posted before Charleston was announced. I thought Charleston was already affiliated with another MLS team. 2nd, I realize Silverbacks were NASL, not MLS favorite USL. I guess ATL MLS now has a competitor out of the way, if you could even call them that. Just thought shuffling players would be closer and you had a team structure as well, one less thing to pay for to set up. At this point, maybe NASL should have transferred the franchise to another city if they had a buyer/ownership ground interested somewhere else.

8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats just because they dont even have a roster for MLS players yet. I expect them to have a USL team of their own by 2017 or so.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article from AJC
    Silverbacks aren't done as a soccer franchise

"Boris Jerkunica, who owns the Silverbacks name, said he and partners John Latham and John Hardin are considering starting a men’s team in the United Soccer League or continuing the team that is in National Premier Soccer League. Its roster is currently composed of reserves players on the Silverbacks team (the reserves would be dropped from the NPSL team’s name). There are also ongoing discussions about starting a women’s team in the Women’s Premier Soccer League."

10. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Charleston's previous affiliation ended last year, they wanted an affiliate who was geographically closer. In my opinion, I think that AUFC did not want to pay to support a secondary club this early. All indications is that AUFC will have a 2nd team, but not for a few seasons. They seemingly want to make sire it is a good idea financially over making an affiliate like Charleston. I would've thought the NASL would move the SIlverbacks, but I think it is just so close to the start of the season, that the process would be really rushed.

Very interesting indeed, I hope they do stay up. Honestly, the USL is probably a better fit for them anyways.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    This was inevitable.

I hope they field a NPSL team. I'm assuming they make most of their money off the various leagues and activities at the park anyway. Maybe they can lease it out in a few years to the eventual AUFC2 USL team.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States