The Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by michaec, Jul 14, 2005.

1. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England have announced their test squad for the first test vs Australia next week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/4676287.stm

The big (and controversial) news is that Graham Thorpe, veteran of 100 tests has been left out in favour of Kevin Pietersen who has yet to make his test debut. I'm undecided on the move. While Thorpe has been great for England, averaging about 45 over those 100 games, he's becoming injury prone and there has to be doubts over whether his mind will be fully focussed on the job after announcing that he'll be retiring from international cricket after this series. Pietersen has done great things in the one-dayers, but a question mark remains over whether he has the patience and temperement to bat for long periods in a test match as will be needed from the middle order. He'll either be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure. It would be nice (for England anyway) if we could get himself and Flintoff together in a position where they can really take it to the Aussie attack!

2. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Let's hope it's a good even contest, and AUS beats the crap out of the poms :D

Seriously, good luck & good cricket ! :)

3. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    No lets hope the English beat the stuffing out the australians wankers.

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cheers, hopefully it will be a good series. Good luck to you too!

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    hoping for an entertaining series, i'll be following from afar

6. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pietersen is an interesting and colorful (both literally and figuratively) character and it's good that he has been given a chance at this level.

7. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    theres also an interesting battle going on in the aussie side for the bowlers- Dizzy and kaspro both are fighting out for a spot, while Lee and Mcgrath are both certains.

for me, unfortunately i am working each of the five days of test one, so i'll have to resort to only SkySports highlights at 7pm each night. hey, its better than nothing though.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would have thought that Kasprowicz (sp?) will get the nod as Gillespie has been badly off-form in the tour matches so far.

9. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
  10. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002

Gillespie is a bit doubtful as he pulled out of training today with a 'sore knee'.

And I hadn't damn well realised this is basically going to be a home game for the Aussies. We haven't won against them at Lord's since 1934!!

Still - this promises to be a good series. Australia aren't streets ahead of England as has been the case in the past. To be honest I just want a series of some good cricket with our weather holding off and for us not to be twatted like we have been in the past on occasion. If we win - it's a bonus.

Just graduated so basically I'm trying to put off getting a proper job until Th'Ashes are over. Managed to put it off until the end of the Tour de France, so hopefully will manage this too.

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure about the weather, according to the BBC there's rain forecast for Londfon this wekend!

This should be the most keenly fought contest for a while. If you're a betting man you couldn't really look past Australia of course, but if England get off to a good start they can hopefully give the Aussies a run for their money. We obviously need our bowlers to perform well, even a session or two of poor bowling against this Australian batting lineup in a test match can see your chances disappear. The real question all England supporters are wondering is how Kevin Pietersen will do in the middle order??

12. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Today's the day then.

I'm about half a mile from Lord's and there's a bit of cloud around after a sunny (although cool) start to the morning. Could be a day to bowl first for whoever wins the toss.

14. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Tasty start - took Langer's elbow second ball and did Ponting on the shield in his second over. Langer's batting through it but Ponting slipped a weak one at Flintoff.

Not a bad run rate from the Aussies though, despite two relatively cheap dismissals.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Langer's gone. Aus now 66/3.

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Bye bye Martyn. Simon Jones got him with his first ball.

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And there goes Martyn with the first ball from Jones.

Batting pitch, my arse. You'd think an Aussie would be the last person to gamble on the sun coming out in England.

19. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I cannot believe we actually chose to bat.

20. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The English players will be enjoying their lunch today! One more and we're into the bowlers.

21. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    97-5 on the first morning :D

ooooh, these Aussies don't like it up 'em!

22. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To be fair to Ponting it still looked like the sun might break through when they took the toss. But still ... we've had some cheap results today. The seamers are getting some joy down leg-side, but it's easier than it might be. As I write, Gilchrist has gone after rattling 26 off 16, by the simple expedient of being lured down the crease with a hidden short and then swinging at it whilst leaning back. Easy catch, crucial wicket. We're into the bowlers and can reasonably comfortably look for an out of 200 or so.

Which worries any true England fan, as the unwritten rule against the Aussies is that whenever we do something bad to them, they do it straight back at us. I'd have preferred a slower progress, running over into tomorrow morning and a new day's weather for when the Aussies have a bowl at us. Mind you, as I said below, we've had cheap results. If we can resist the urge to go after a low total with too much then we should be able to play a steady innings, take us through to sometime on Sunday and then have another go at them.

Katich is putting in a useful knock - slow, but steady. If only one of his top order mates could have done the same, it would be an entirely different match.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Warne goes. Good wicket to take, he looked like he was about to get cheeky. Full, fast onto leg stump. And the sun's come out.

24. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    England have to take a few deeps breaths and not get ahead of themselves.

can someone explain the weather to me? Is it better to bat when its sunny as opposed to cloudy? newbie to cricket right here

25. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, it is. Cloud cover causes a rise in humidity and also denser air which means the bowlers can get more spin out of the seam of stitching that surrounds a cricket ball.

[​IMG]

It also makes the crease on which the batter must bat more pliable, which means you get greater swing off the bounce of the ball as it is bowled down the wicket.