The ASA is dead, long live Football Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Caesar, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=2212381

2. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Sounds good to me, as long as the DO NOT USE THAT AWFUL LOGO!!!

3. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Good news all round,

By that logo I assume you mean that big A with the 1970s
    soccer ball printed over it.

The new Football Association "peeled orange" logo I'm quite taken with that one.

I have heard that the AFL were going to complain, I'm not too sure who would listen, maybe they hope to extend the Aussie rules international series to include Brazil?

Anyway in the words of Big Ken, I'm excited, and really looking forward to future developments, John o'Neil recently said we have not felt good about ourselves for thirty years, well except 3:1 over the poms, anyway
    I for the first time almost feel that we are getting somewhere and it would be an undouted tribute to the great Johnny Warren, that finally it all comes together.

You can almost paraphase the famous Martin Luther King speech with Johnny Warren, "although I might not make it there with you, I have seen the glory of the coming etc"

4. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I hate the orange peel logo, i like the Big A with the football in it.

5. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Sorry GF,

But it looks like the big orange peels wins.
    What a great way to wind up the AFL and NRL, I noticed a section in the Age today about voting for who was a footballer the choices were David Beckhan and Nathan Buckley, I thought the choice was somewhat ironic given how both are viewed by the fans of other teams in both codes.

6. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
  7. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do most people call the game soccer in Australia? Or football? Isn't Aussie Rules football normally called football?

8. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Yes & no.

All 3 other football codes played in AUS (Aussie Rules, Rugby League & Rugby Union) are called football.

The world football code is called both soccer & football, mostly dependent upon one's family background & history.

I am of European ancestary.

Even though I've played all 4 codes (sometime in my life) I've always called the round-ball code FOOTBALL, just like the late & great Johnny Warren.

9. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  10. spencer_carlos

spencer_carlos New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wrong.

Rugby Union in Australia promotes itself as "Rugby" (like the rest of the world) and tries to avoid being called "Football" or "Union".

As for the transition for the game to be called "Football" in this country, good news around. But it'll take quite some time for that to work in Victoria. Aussie Rules is strictly called "Football" there.

11. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    spencer_carlos (or should that be Carlos Spencer ?)

With a tag like that, you must be a Kiwi or a Kiwi supporter. It's the Kiwis who would have difficulty with calling Rugby Union "FOOTBALL".

For your info, I've ALWAYS called ALL 4 codes FOOTBALL. Also, all my mates in the team (ie those who played the game - Rugby Union - with me in NSW) called it FOOTBALL. I'd appreciate you don't tell me what I've known it as, and that is FOOTBALL.

I'm not wrong. You are, in assuming you know my experience & history better than I do.

12. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    it is league that calls itself football, they use their hands! :p plus Union is waaaay better! :D

I say football a lot, but soccer in my speach creeps in now and then :(

13. albionroad

albionroad Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no offence intended, but this all sounds a bit weird! Rugby union, rugby league, Australian Rules and futbol...all four are called football...but not always...only by some people and not others...

If a journalist on Australian television said 'and now for some football news' what would he be talking about? Or is there no way of knowing without the context? Or would he never say something like because of this very issue?

14. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    If depends on which journalist said 'and now for some football news' & which station/network. In AUS it'd be very clear as to which of the 4 codes was being reported, by said reporter.

15. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Generally AFL is football in WA, but soccer is ALSO known as football here also! :D

16. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    On the AFL Offical website that other game is called Australian Football, whatever that means?

I for one do not have a problem, I enjoy our indigenous code, and I have on a few occasions even turned out for a country town veteran’s side, I also coach the round ball game at primary school level.
    What we have to remember is that Australia loves winners, the reason why league and union and probably cricket for that matter, are so popular is that we win the big games.
    Now finally, not unlike our demise against the West Indies at cricket in the 80’s, questions have been asked, why are we not the world champion of all three international football codes.
    The future is ours, admittedly we will have to get a whole lot better but why do we play like Europeans, I thought South American was closer, lets play like them.

17. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    well SBS said that, which i think we should adopt our own unique style and flair which is nto a copy of england or any other nation.

18. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Quote from yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald:

Soccer finally becomes football
    January 1, 2005
    SMH

As of today, the game of soccer in this country will officially be known as football. The national body will assume its new title, Football Federation Australia, and all other organised bodies are expected to follow suit.

The FFA says: "While we are not pretending that all Australians will take to calling the game football immediately, we feel that it is important to make this symbolic change, and to bring the world game in Australia into line with rest of the football world."

Here at the Herald, we agree and have decided to embrace it - from the start. From now on, the game will be called football in these pages, as it is throughout the world. The word football will still be used as a generic term for rugby league, rugby union and Australian football.

===========
    Maybe this clears it up a touch.
    In my world (southern states, traditional AFL homeland), most people who say 'football' are referring to Australian Football. I come from a dutch background, so have always had unbiased exposure to the world game. I love both Football and Aussie Rules. I became exposed to Rugby and League when I was posted to Sydney and Canberra by the Navy, but only really got into Rugby.

FWIW, I have noticed less and less people getting offended or riled up when I use 'football' to refer to the world game. In fact, more people than ever are recognising that I am talking about the Socceroos, Adelaide United, EPL, World Cup etc. Esp since SBS uses the word football to promote the game long before the FFA came to its senses.

When I talk, I use the following:
    Football - The world game
    Aussie Rules - AFL, SANFL (SA State League)
    Rugby - Rugby Union, Wallabies, Super 12 etc
    League - NRL (Really dont like this sport).

19. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Finally Australia has balls and have grown up and are now with the big boys! :)

20. spencer_carlos

spencer_carlos New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Now that Australia (except Victoria) has joined the world cycle by referring the game as "football", the question is - will America do the same in the future?

21. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    The West Australian (newspaper) still calls it soccer. I wouldn't blame them as they are anti football and pro AFL and PRO West Coast Eagles (oh and anti Labor too! :p)

22. safe hands 01

safe hands 01 New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Salem, Oregon, USA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    brilliant it makes sense too.