The Arsenal vs. Watford, Premier League Matchday 25, 6 March 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Mar 4, 2022.

1. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arteta himself has said he's had a learning curve. Talked about some things he should have done earlier, or things he could have done better, etc. So I don't think the critisims was necessary undeserved. The real question was could he be a elite manager, not was he a good manager.

I think he has regrets about Guendo, and he probably didn't resign Aubo for footballing reasons, but for more political reasons.

Serengeti_Boy and Silva 5 repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Meanwhile we have this from Hodgson:

That’s good work from their side. I try very hard not to criticise teams for trying to speed up the game. If that means the coach runs to give the ball quicker, I congratulate them.”

yossarian and NorthBank repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some crazy rumors about what went on with Guendouzi, up to and including Guendouzi slapping Arteta.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is a true quote, it just cements a little soft spot I have for Roy. I would never ever want him to manage Arsenal but I respect the man, his honesty, his longevity, his absolute dedication and love for the game, etc.

p.s. He would've been well within his rights to add another sentence which said that his side were a bit snoozy. Our goal is also a bit down to them as well as it's on Arteta being "proactive" and then us doing some really nice crisp passing work after that!

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard that one and have a bit of a hard time believing it.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not saying it's wrong but i've never heard that one, either. the part i remember was the conflict at the camp being with sokratis and guendouzi's refusal to apologise to arteta and/or edu.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to post this near the end of the match yesterday but was on my phone and it was too hard. This put a smile on my face. Not just the quantity, but he even symmetry...

upload_2022-3-7_16-25-4.png

If we can get goals from those 3 forward positions and maybe occasionally from midfielder or defenders, it may not matter if our nominal CF bags any goals or not.

Especially if he keeps up some of the fab assists he’s been coming up with lately!

8. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Same. I thought he was going to have a tough time coming into an unsettled environment with a noob at SD and as a rookie Manager but he's learned and his man management has improved.

daedalus repped this.
  9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    The Liverpool game will tell us a lot

daedalus repped this.
  10. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I wouldn’t say that his man-management skills have improved. I just think his style and decisions have not hurt him. I still think that it is his biggest weakness.

But, like I said before, I have to give him credit if the team can pull off 4th place despite not agreeing with many of his ways and decisions.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say we don't know one way or the other if his man-management skills have improved. Since the Aubameyang exile, what example---good or bad---of man-management skills have we seen? The only thing we know is that the team is playing pretty well and the players, including Auba's good friend, seem to have bought in to Arteta's system.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe - Liverpool have been a really tough matchup under Arteta. Tierney hasn't been great, and Martinelli will need to be glued to Trent.

13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Slapping your boss? Jeez that's extreme.

Who else wants Duzi back? I think he's what we need.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    wait . . . for the football or for slapping arteta?

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's been weird with that. he's gone through some wonky relationship bits but, as i've seen noted, his players appears to have never given up on him even when we've gone through tough stretches.

16. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Yes he has the loyalty of the ones he's not exiled. That's good I guess.

My concern is next year. Let's be real we didn't think United would stoop this low after last year and they and spurs have had many managerial changes. We need to get it fully right before they turn things around.

daedalus repped this.
  17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    By refusing to sign a contract with Marseille Guendouzi is the only one that can make a return to Arsenal happen now and hell would have to freeze over first. He’s gone. I will continue to rue the circumstances that saw Gnabry leave, but Arsenal can and should do better than Guendouzi.

Tonerl and yossarian repped this.
  18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    speaking of whom, man is just playing with our emotions now. :cry:

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can definitely do better than Guendouzi with our Xhaka upgrade this summer.

daedalus repped this.
  20. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    My point was that there is no reason to believe that it has improved. It’s hard to tell when the team is winning, when everyone is happy and when there are no contract issues. That’s when you need these skills. Right now, it’s easy.

It’ll be interesting to see how Arteta will handle the Martenelli/Odegaard/ESR situation this summer. All of them deserve to play, and someone is going to be left out. I could see teams coming from ESR. He isn't going to want to be on the bench forever, and goal-scoring midfielders always are in demand.

Not for value. We will not find a player in his age range with his ability at anywhere close to the amount of money that we paid for him or will sell him to OM (9 million pounds) for. We may get someone better, but it will not be cheap.

Serengeti_Boy and daedalus repped this.
  21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #146 casoccerdad47, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    While he was a bargain and Arsenal may not find equal value for the money they spent on him, there probably is equal value at about £20m. But more importantly, I don’t believe that Guendouzi, as a Xhaka replacement, would take Arsenal to the next level.

As far as sell on value goes that comes full circle to another discussion in this thread, man management. Arteta’s man management tanked Guendouzi’s market value. Any team interested in Guendouzi knew that Arsenal wanted to get rid of him, so Marseille low balled the purchase option in the loan deal.

The argument could be made that Arsenal already have their Guendouzi replacement in Lokonga. See a per 90 comparison on FBref:

https://fbref.com/tiny/zCqFu

yossarian repped this.
  22. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    At their age, I think Guendouzi is a much better player than Lokonga and is more versatile.

But I do agree with two of your points: 1. Lokonga probably is the replacement, and 2. Guendouzi is gone.

I do wish Lokonga well, and I would like to see more of what he can do and how he might develop. However, I would be lying if I said that I wouldn’t rather have Guendouzi on the team.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for Leicester thread

Tonerl repped this.