The Arsenal vs. Nottingham Forest, Premier League Matchday 12, 30 October 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were.

DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant backup/cover. Your post made it seem like someone (I?) was arguing to get rid of Jesus, i.e. replace him. That would be the absolute last thing I would want to do right now. The guy has been amazing in how he has transformed our team. I’ve said that quite a few times this season. The concerns I’ve expressed are about 1) his goals having dried up somewhat lately, and 2) who do we rely on if/when he’s unavailable for weeks.

Tonerl repped this.
  3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    as a matter of fact, i do not [feel a need for reinforcement]. i don't expect a truly quality option (that would actually move the bar) to be available and, more importantly, for the funds we are expected to have. i expect elneny and smith-rowe (just like a new signing!) to be back and give us decent cover at DM and a solid difference maker at LW/10/8 along with nelson, marquinhos, and vieira.

if we did spend, someone like danilo would interest me because that is not a position of depth, is of the right age/price profile for what appears to be our current strategy, and FO seemed to have had long term interest in the player.
    him.

given what seems to be available, i'm fine with nketiah as a backup to gabe jesus and reevaluating at the end of the season.

"if our starter go down with a significant injury, we seem kinda f-ed" would apply to ramsdale (GK), big gabriel (LCB), partey (DM), odegaard (CAM), and saka (RW) as much as it would with gabe jesus (ST). you can even include martinelli (LW) if smith-rowe does not fully recovers as soon as he returns.

cool. how many people out there would all those qualities apply to? how many are available for 50 or less? how many are even available in january window?

regardless of how i feel about whether we need reinforcement in january, it still doesn't change that looking to replace gabriel jesus the window immediately after acquiring him is a tune we have danced before. it was foolish then and it would be foolish now.

4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tonerl and yossarian repped this.
  5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I noticed on the celebration of the first goal that there seemed to be some extra joy from his teammates. They all seemed genuinely excited that it was Reiss.

daedalus repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I still don't agree with a bunch of your premises...

+1 for civil debate

And I'm guessing that @yossarian and the rest of the folks on this board are somewhat relieved with our latest behavior? ;)

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Wasn't PSV it was Bodo. I was thinking EL match and PSV was the only one that popped into my head.

8. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The Bodoe game away was a “meh” game for nearly everyone. As I recall, Nelson’s performance in that game, his first Arsenal start in two years, wasn’t particularly bad, he was cautious, much like he was in the first half against Forest.

9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i always have chosen civility in debates and discussions until people chose to be condescending.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    damn. even non-teammates (i assume they are familiar with each other from youth international maybe?) have love for the dude. that's crazy.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard that Sancho was Reiss's best mate growing up.

Saliba calling him GOAT? :ROFLMAO:

We're all rootin for him tho