The Arsenal vs. Nottingham Forest, Premier League Matchday 12, 30 October 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no yellows in this match?

daedalus repped this.
  2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    @Tonerl gets us off to a cracking start, and this is good revenge on Forest for knocking us out of the FA Cup. Can't see how they stay up this season.

5 goals? Clean sheet? No suspensions or red cards? Great day.

Hope Sakas ankle comes up good we will need him to help exploit Chelsea.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT ARS 5-0 FOR

Just what the doctor ordered.

Be seeing you.

GunnerJacket and And_ROOS repped this.
  4. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Only for Morgan-Gibbs.

First time we have won 11 in a row at home in 5 years, and first time since 2018 we have put 5 goals past a team.

daedalus repped this.
  5. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    5-nils are fun, would do it again, highly recommend.

yossarian, daedalus and And_ROOS repped this.
  6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Reiss Nelson
    [​IMG]

mebeSajid, Shen-O, Super Llama and 4 others repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well done, lads. Well done. So long as Saka isn't badly hurt this was a near flawless performance. Glad to see the boost to the goal differential, as well.

Now need the B team to do the job midweek, and then show real grit in the trip to west London.

daedalus and And_ROOS repped this.
  8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    2 points clear on City, 5 clear of Spurs who played an extra game.

A win against Chelsea is big coming up, would have us 13 points clear of 5th (unless United win today, if United win we would be 8 points clear of 5th after 12 games).

Building some nice gaps on our opposition. Really really need to get the 6 points from the Chelsea and Wolves games.

9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t really mean to keep pounding you on this, but Jesus had 7 shots, 4 key passes and 2 assists today. His goal scoring form is bad at the moment but he’s just nothing at all like Lacazette.

10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    E61EA7FC-11B7-461C-B80E-B5DC1FD30F81.gif

daedalus and And_ROOS repped this.
  11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah - forgot about that one.

daedalus repped this.
  12. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know if it's wanting to give nelson an opportunity in a low pressure game or acknowledging after PSV that vieira on the wing (at least while looking to attack and not just maintaining) doesn't work for our setup but i dig it.

marquinhos, i think, might have been a better like-for-like but nelson has more experience so i think it makes sense for a game that's still in striking distance, even if they weren't truly threatening (outside of our own screw up). plus marquinhos just got back from injuries.

maskito repped this.
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i didn't quite understand that argument, either. henderson struggled with it because it was too weak and easy to catch? WTF?

Tonerl repped this.
  15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    jesus and saliba, yeah.

xhaka's was in europa (and he did end up picking up the yellow).

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i know mcnicholas touts his ability from the right but you can see the immediate spike in his play as soon as he switched to the left.

i still think his greatest strength is his composure in scoring position and we saw that today. i think he can be of help this year.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    cedric on the bench vs PSV was one of the sadder footie moments i've seen.

BIG props to him for coming to celebrate with the team for partey's goal. i think someone lesser might have sulked. i'm glad he got to have extended game time.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    gabe jesus is offering goal threats in addition to everything else he does, including setting up teammates. he's in poor form and not finishing, sure. but he's threatening and that will work itself out.

lacazette did not offer any goal threats outside of penalties - in fact, it would be ridiculously easy to go back to the end of last season and see how many people said after just about every single nketiah goal, "lacazette doesn't score that" - and, while he put in a shift to try to bring others into play, lacazette did not offer the playmaking threat jesus has either. and i say this as someone who likes lacazette.

Tonerl repped this.
  19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    weirdly, in recent games, we have wholly switched our attacking play when tierney is in. he provides the nominal width and, as you said, LW moves inside to make room for him while xhaka drops deeper to partner partey/receive the ball from defense in the zinchenko role/cover LB.

that sort of work with jesus as LW. it might be worth a shot seeing if vieira works better as LW in that setup. it's mediocre with martinelli as LW and neutralises his greatest strength. it's works horribly with nketiah as LW.

i'm not sure why arteta has switched to doing this in recent game as well as with having jesus stay at CF and nketiah take LW. at the start of the season, tierney was asked to play the same way as zinchenko and gabe jesus was the one who flared wide to make room for nketiah.

20. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall seeing KT play inverted at the beginning of the season and thought he handled it fine. My best guess is that he isn't comfortable in that role so Mikel is letting him do what is comfortable. The problem is that we essentially have to play a 4-2-3-1 when KT is playing rather than a 4-3-3 with Xhaka getting higher up the pitch. Hate to say it but if KT can't adjust we may need to move him on in the summer.

daedalus repped this.
  21. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reiss motm.

The was this moment where Martinelli controlled a long ball in a congested area and the entire backline immediately dropped off. Tremendous compliment of his ability. I chuckled.

daedalus repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To put a fine point on this, Lacazette had 12 shots on target last season, including penalties.

Jesus has 19 this season in half the minutes.

23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, it seems weird to me, too. like, no, he wasn't as good as zinchenko but he was trying.

other thing with flipping to the 4-2-3-1 to accommodate tierney is he is not nearly as threatening running at defenders as martinelli is so that neutralises one threat. i like dude and hope he stays but his attacking move consists of one hesitation move before kicking the ball past the defender and hoping to reach the endline in time to cut the ball back.

also, beyond just not being the same threat outside, the combination of tierney+inverted LW is not nearly as threatening as xhaka+LW. :-/

chjoak repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a 4 man back line I greatly prefer the idea of inverted FBs because of the general concepts of A) attacking players are generally better in attack and B) FBs that play inverted generally cover less distance on the field (not bombing up & down the sideline) which should afford them the ability to play a full 90 far more often.

daedalus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  25. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    RISE UP REISS NELSON HEADS, TODAY IS OUR GLORIOUS DAWN

mebeSajid, Silva 5, daedalus and 2 others repped this.