The Arsenal vs. Leicester City, Premier League Matchday 26, 13 March 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    clean sheet

danielh and KevinJRogers repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT AFC 2-0 LCFC

Took an early lead while playing good stuff. Took our foot off the gas and let them back in for a nervy late 1T.

Then turned it up again with plenty of dangerous chances in 2T, one of which earned the game-sealing PK which Laca (yes Laca!) scored with aplomb!

Once again our shots(on) stats are quite good: 21(8).

Bottom line: we did the business we needed to do. And 4th place is still ours to lose. (technically 3rd place too, as pointed out recently by @casoccerdad47)

Anyway, bring on the Scousers! In just 3 days.

COYG!!!!

leppercut and KevinJRogers repped this.
  3. KevinJRogers

KevinJRogers Member

NYCFC | VfB Stuttgart
    United States
    Jan 29, 2022
    Clifton Park, N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There we go. We maybe should have had that third goal, but to be honest I'm happier about the clean sheet.

Very solid. Kept our concentration, kept our poise, right through to the final whistle. A big step, especially since it was against Leicester (I still have the heebie jeebies over 2015-2016 LOL).

leppercut repped this.
  4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Ramsdale has made every PL start since the first three matches of the season - all loses - so every clean sheet Arsenal have would be Ramsdale's.

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  5. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Didn't get to watch as much of this one as I'd like. Of what I saw we looked very in control. However, we are once again letting the other team have a lot of possession in threatening positions, and defended that 1-0 lead a lot like we played 1-0 leads earlier in the season: much too passive. It's an interesting dynamic though because despite doing this, Leicester did not look especially threatening, so maybe that was an intentional choice?. Wonder if the team was sort of conserving their energy for the other matches this week or what was going on mentally to shift back into their shells a little bit. Last two matches we've felt just a little bit off the peak aggression levels when we're defending. IDK though still a controlled, smooth victory, and Odegaard continues to make a case for player of the season. He's so freaking dominant right now

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as fluid offensively as we were against Watford, but we controlled the match better, I thought. Odegaard is ridiculously good, and Partey was great as well.

daedalus repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They’ve also developed a very good partnership, linking defense to attack. With the pair Arsenal are almost unpressable.

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    minor correction: theoretically, should be given. but we are arsenal so . . . it was a toss-up. :D

9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    look. it isn't always easy coming up with a convoluted angle - of video and argument - to not give it week after week after week, okay? after a while, you start running out of excuses and either has to manufacture a brand new one or recycle one that hasn't been brought out for a while.

c'mon, a little understanding here.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the highlights of the game for the first time. And on reflection, I would say that the key turning-point moment in the match was at 37’ when Ramsdale made that amazing save of a ball that was absolutely destined for the top corner.

He didn’t have a ton to do today, but when he was needed he was rock solid. And then some.

MO may deserve MOTM, but AR gets more than honorable mention.

11. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very important win. Makes Wednesday less crucial.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They played some good attacking football yesterday. That’s the thing that pleases me the most.

DutchCane and daedalus repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have got a great u sweats ding as a team now, we can cut through a press quite well with one twos and we look very fluid up top

I really like the way we look when we attack and the commitment to the press from the front

still have some issues with concentration and not following the last man some times but ramsdale has saved us on more than one occasion

DaPrince84, daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    We played some sparkling wine football in stretches for sure, not quite Champagne, would need a better striker for that but for sure pleasurable to the eye.

DaPrince84 and daedalus repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried and tried to reverse engineer that phrase but no luck. o_O

DutchFanatic repped this.
  16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it has to be from strasbourg to be champagne football, anything else is just sparkling wine football. :D

mebeSajid repped this.
  17. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be Crémant d’Alsace football.

daedalus and mebeSajid repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just rewatched this match which is something I rarely do. (I was on the bike machine w/ 90' to kill) And one thing I noticed more this time was Thomas Partey, who was just playing for fun. Joy, positivity and confidence was running through his veins. So great to see!

Silva 5, daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  19. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He seems to have really come into his own in this new formation, where he doesn’t have to defer to Xhaka as much. Paradoxically, he looks less like he’s trying hard now that he has more responsibility

daedalus repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and I thought that Xhaka was pretty much in the background in this match. Which I guess is understandable since TP & MO were taking charge so much more. Granit showed up a few times in attack and at least once filling in as LB. As much as I was liking the new forward thinking GX in the last month or so, I'd be fine with yesterday's roles being the way we go for now on.

Super Llama repped this.
  21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    xhaka is not ever going to look remotely good in this new system, offensively. he needs space - both to look for a pass and to pass into - and being stationed in that space means he has neither. that cross field pass he used to make good becomes an easy interception like the one that led to that goal by sissoko.

he is also going to be perpetually gassed by the 80th minutes because his role has an insane amount of running. it's a role that, i think, would have fit ramsey really well.

Super Llama repped this.
  22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly, I understand the good things that Xhaka does for us, but I’m not sure if he’s really doing a better job in his current position than ESR would. Like he’s running a lot but is he actually pressing much? Idk

23. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Perhaps sparkling cider ball lol

daedalus repped this.
  24. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so you're saying . . . .