The Arsenal vs. Brighton & Hove Albion, Carabao Cup Third Round, 9 November 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Nov 7, 2022.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This broadcast is OLD SCHOOL! Only on the “radio” and commentators have no video/replay. And no VAR of course.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But nobody seems to know why. Matt nursing a little injury? Or not wanting to risk WC? Or Previous agreement/plan for Hein to play 3R?

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Vieira has taken some hard knocks so far.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goin to get my booster shot. Anyone else wanna keep an ear on this for us? ;)

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm just doing PbP via The Guardian, and tracking stats on ESPN app.

Either way, c'mon you Gunners!

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    59' and Brighton make it 1-2.

Arsenal with 17 shots but only 2 on target, though Eddie hit the post apparently. But possession does not always equate to quality chances or stout defense. If Arsenal want to win, they may need to sub on name brand players.

7. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabriel in for Saliba. Martinelli in for Marquinhos

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Weird to be genuinely rooting for a defeat.

Spurs losing to Forest while running out Harry Kane from the start is really ********ing funny.

Shen-O, danielh, daedalus and 2 others repped this.
  9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    According to the Guardian it is now 3-1 Brighton. Arteta out.

Shen-O, danielh, daedalus and 1 other person repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now 1-3. Looks like this will be the first competition Arsenal will "escape" to lighten the fixture load. Sorry the (mostly) B team hasn't been good enough at home.

Shen-O and daedalus repped this.
  11. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    72'
    Jesus for Vieria
    Zinchenko for Tierney

80'
    Xhaka for Sambi

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back. Looks like my injection was more fun than 2T was.

I’m FINE with this loss, for obvious reasons. No injuries I hope?

GunnerJacket repped this.
  13. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    And granted, I'm not watching, but out-shooting them 23-13 and having 57% of possession implies a pretty solid performance with some bad luck in front of goal. Both had 4 shots on target. Honestly, good performance while going out might be the best possible outcome.

daedalus repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What this seems to confirm is (not surprisingly) that our depth is not good enough.

We have a very good preferred XI and that's what's enabled the success so far in EPL & UEL. But probably in order for us to have continued success after Boxing Day (which for me means a confident Top 4 finish at least, and at best a legit challenge for the league and/or a deep run in UCL) we have to have the majority of that preferred XI available for matches in those 2 competitions.

Which means we have to have good luck with injuries and form, possibly buttressed with some good incoming business in January.

Onward to Molineux. End of the line sadly for @Tonerl... who's next?

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arteta went full Wenger on the league cup. They may not have been youngsters, but starting the game with just one regular starter, suggests he wasn’t overly concerned about winning the game either. The loss clears a lot of potential congestion after the World Cup and provides motivation for the team to rebound against wolves and for the rematch against Brighton the second game back after the World Cup.

Shen-O, danielh and Silva 5 repped this.
  17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    any other season, i'd be much more upset and sad about being out of this cup. it's a good opportunity to get games for squaddies and, occasionally, kids and, honestly, i always want to see us compete in as many things as possible but, man, this year is just . . . . too meh.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    the goal to even the game was from hein slipping before scrambling back up to try to get the ball away from welbeck to give up the penalty so 100% backing up your point about bad luck.

there were some questions raised about offside but, apparently, no VAR for this round.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    we started a player from our tier 9 ("Players named Cedric"). that's the level of importance we placed on this game.

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was this Hein's "Runarsson" moment?

21. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know. i think the kid likely has far more potential. i mean, emi gave up 5 vs reading.

22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    From what I have read from people at the game, Sambi was very poor again, and Vieira was quite bad as well. Holding is a massive liability at CB when its not in a 3 with Saliba and Gabriel beside him, but its not working in a back 4 for him. Can't run the high line and if he gets turned, he is titanic like.

Seems Nelson was the only 2nd string player who did his chances at pushing for first team minutes no harm (no shock there) but aside from that the consensus I am getting from people at the match is we really need to buy midfield depth in the Winter window because if we need to rely on significant minutes from Sambi or Vieira we are ********ed.

Weirdly enough, I am happy to be out of the League Cup. All it does next year is cause fixture congestion, the only cups I care about are the FA Cup or the EL Cup while we also need to tie up a top 3 league spot.

But depth is the concern. Hopefully ESR comes back into the team in good form next season, but we still need a mid or 2.

NorthBank repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, i think it's less that holding is bad than he does not fit our system. we've known for a while that he is bad with a high line because defending in space is not his strength*.

*marginally related, i feel like this is just another instance wenger buying without noting fit. he played a high line as well and so many of his buys were not people who play well in that system. i will say that holding for 2M was certainly a good buy for what it was.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    [​IMG]

GunnerJacket and daedalus repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard a few minutes of the breakdown post-game show and Adrian Clark said that Nelson and Nketiah are the only ones that warranted any praise, and that praise was fairly slight.

When you talk about ES are coming back in form “next season” do you mean August or this coming January?!!