The Arsenal v Manchester United, EPL Match Day 34, 23 APR 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Apr 22, 2022.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s debatable. Looks like De Gea had to lean further to his right in order to see around Eddie, and if so that might’ve been the difference of him getting to the ball or not.

https://www.si.com/.image/t_share/M...ore-for-arsenal-against-manchester-united.jpg

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. True.

Plus variance, fine margins and last but not least… lady luck!

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  3. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Some true irony in Scholes calling Arteta a disgrace for trying to influence the referee when he came over to look at the sideline monitor yesterday.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholes. LOL. Good midfielder but deserved at least a yellow any time he even attempted a tackle.

daedalus repped this.
  5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #155 casoccerdad47, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    I was actually referring to his former manager. Arteta was more physically demonstrative than Fergie usually was, but Fergie was the master of intimidating referees.

Scholes attempted tackles were truly horrendous.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Scholes is a scumbag. Mans threw Lingaard under the bus yesterday by sharing something and attributing a comment he made about the locker room at United. Ultimate chatty, patty.

daedalus repped this.
  7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    did anyone else laugh at the clash cedric had with alex telles? cedric jumped straight up and had his arm out (as most do) when alex telles ran up and jumped into him and ran into his arm/elbow with the left side of his face.

you can see in the replay, he literally looked up to see where the header from cedric went and, when he realised the ball went to us, fell to the ground while grabbing his face. THE. RIGHT. SIDE. OF. HIS. FACE. asshole had the nerve to be whining to the referee afterward while holding his face.

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I thought that too. He played under a manager that bullied refs into favourable positions as evidenced by the lack of penalties etc United have gotten since he left, and he has the nerve to say he didn't like Arteta doing that :D

daedalus repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #159 NorthBank, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    On today's Totally Football podcast, Adrian Clarke articulated something that's been frequently in my head this season (and before too?)...

He thinks our success depends largely on us doing one thing well: playing with aggression.

He said we're not good enough to push the ball around nicely and softly. We need aggression (I've tended to use other synonyms) and perhaps even a bit of chaos (an adjective often used about our 2 latest wins)

Without the ball, he says, we've been aggressive in closing down, and just generally forceful defensively. And with the ball, we've shifted it quickly and dynamically. Generally faster, stronger, more dangerous. Which has created space!

He thinks us finishing 4th depends on how well we do this one thing in our last 6 games.

I'm inclined to agree. And if we're right, I sure hope Arteta is seeing the same.

p.s. I think the Chelsea match is probably even a better exemplar of this compared to ManU.

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I saw a random clip on the gunners subreddit, I believe its a United fan channel but he was speaking about Arsenal and how we play, how we deserved to smash Chelsea that you don't fluke 2-4 away wins, and that we are doing it without a striker.
    And that should we get a couple of strikers, an extra mid, things will become clearer because we are currently relying on talented kids, and random purple patches from players.

But that Arteta isn't just Peps cone boy, he was heavily involved in coaching and knows his shit and just needs the right players in the right spots.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's something I learned about today on a podcast from Amy Lawrence. Apparently there was a rare gathering of Invincibles in N5 Sunday...

TH14+BS7+ESR10+DB10@TheGrove-24APR22.jpg

In addition to Thierry & Dennis, supposedly also in the house were Freddie, Jens, Gilberto and of course Edu.

I don't get the Athletic but it sounds like Amy's latest article was a musing about whether Dennis would ever come back to work at Arsenal.

Well, apparently this visit was due to he and his wife Henrita visiting their first grandchild! (their son-in-law is Donny van de Beek who's on loan at Everton from United) so maybe just maybe that's gonna induce him to get over his travel concerns and get over the channel a bit more often? :D