The Arsenal v. Manchester City, Saturday January 1, 2022, 1230 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Dec 30, 2021.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

2022?

2022!

Feels really strange to be typing that. Like, super strange - March 2020 has now lasted into 2022(!). So, so much has changed in this strange, COVID-induced world, and yet it feels like things haven't changed at all - it felt like Arteta's COVID test was one of the things that told us that COVID was a huge freaking deal, and now he's gone and got COVID again.

Another thing that hasn't changed: Manchester City are still the death star, still choking the life out of the Premier League with their suffocating form of possession play - if they aren't breaking the score board, they're breaking your will to live by simply hogging the ball and cynically fouling every time someone might counter. Playing against these guys is as close to an automatic loss as we've seen in the last five years: since Guardiola took over (and counting Wenger's last two seasons), we've scored something five league goals against them, for a grand total of one point. Five goals is, of course, what City scored the last time out. This feels like this is going to hurt, and someone needs to be on hand to start the Liverpool thread.

And yet . . .

despite a horrific start to the season, Arsenal sit in fourth. It's hard to think that Arsenal being fourth is somehow unsustainable or wrong - Arsenal are ~fourth by xG metrics, and have had some pretty decent results along the way. Even in some of the bad results, the losses at Old Trafford and Goodison, it felt like we were a little unlucky to lose those games. Since September 1, Arsenal are tied for second in points with Chelsea (who have played an extra game), and Chelsea's underlying data is only slightly better than Arsenal's (City and Liverpool are both miles better than everyone else). This promises to be an interesting game, and it's a shame it's at 7:30 AM EST on New Year's Day. Llama might as well stay up for this one.

Time: 1230 GMT/0730 EST/Llama will still be hammered
    Place: Emirates Stadium
    TV: USA Network

maskito, Tonerl and GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The hope is obviously that Citeh is a little weary coming in off a mid-week match, but they have the depth and class to overcome if the opponent allows them. So for me a lot of this hinges on Arsenal's ability to manage the midfield. (I'm not naive enough to assume they can control the midfield.). They'll need to at least keep Citeh from finding too many runners heading into the box and pulling the midfielders and outside backs out of position.

I do think that Arsenal can threaten in attack, if the likes of ESR and MO aren't too busy in defense. On current form Saka and Co. have shown solid ball-handling and attacking nous that can squeeze in a few decent opportunities against any Premier League defense, I feel. Maybe not 3-4 against a side like Citeh, but 1-2 is very possible.

C'mon you Gunners!

NorthBank and maskito repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 NorthBank, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Oh, I thought this one was at Manchester. That's a pleasant surprise.

Although having to be without Arteta and perhaps some of his senior staff because of Covid isolation/quarantining is the opposite.

And given how hands-on Mikel at Colney and on the touchline, I think he could be missed. Plus there was that comment by Lee Dixon within the past week, about how player form/intensity often drops when "the cat's away".

Still I'm hoping even in autopilot mode our boys will be up for this, be confident with the ball (when we're lucky or brave enough to get it?), and give them a battle.

And it being at home will hopefully stop us from taking too defensive a style. Though Citeh will probably force that on us, we've shown that we can be pretty potent on the counter.

Nervously awaiting the team news, which I guess will come tomorrow? And nervously imagining Rob Holding at CB.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who is going to do the next match thread?

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 NorthBank, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Consider yourself nominated!

Ps. I think there’s a 1% chance we get some sort of result. So I’m not fully defeatist yet

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I’ll say a prayer for the goal difference.

NorthBank repped this.
  8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing Citeh is just no fun. Don't fancy seeing them have 72% possession and our boys chasing them around for 90 minutes.

daedalus repped this.
  9. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If City have 72% possession, we will have improved our own possession against them by 40%. Progress!

I expect a fairly routine 4-0 thumping.

maskito repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 NorthBank, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    72% might not be so bad really. They had 77% at Brentford two days ago, and the game was actually fairly close. Brentford held them to one early goal (a brilliant one at that), 3 shots on goal, and 12 shots overall. And you could say Brentford were a bit unlucky not to get a point.

Even though their XI will be rotated back for their trip to see us, with the likely additions of Gundogan, Sterling and Mahrez... if we're able to stymie them as much as Frank and his boys did, then that's what prompts my tiny (1%) hope of getting something from this game.

Edit: I just noticed that Google's probability chart (no idea where they get this from) says we have a 17% chance of winning and 21% chance of a draw. Hello?? 38% chance of getting a result??? Now that's some unbridled optimism right there!

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched Mikel's "presser" from home today
    https://www.arsenal.com/mikel-arteta-press-conference-man-city-premier-league

• He's feeling better today but had "a few rough days"
    • No new player outages it seems, at least not new covid cases
    • Albert Stuivenberg will be in charge on the bench (he alluded to many positives within the staff, presumably including Steve Round)

p.s. It looked like he was in a plastic enclosure inside his home, able to talk with his mask off. Couldn't see the usual office shelving background from past videos. Boy in a bubble?

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

GunnerJacket and NorthBank repped this.
  13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hopeful that we put in a strong performance. Not confident of a win, but all the other top 3 teams are dropping points so why not City?

1-1 is my prediction.

NorthBank repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Pity Arteta won’t be on the touch line

15. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    GunnerJacket, cooper7d7 and NorthBank repped this.
  16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    CarlosKaiser repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morning all... Happy New Year

Let's make this a good competitive start to 2022!

COYG!!!!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Saka going against Aké at LB could be a place to take advantage.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we've drafted some very youthful coach for our bench today

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was thinking the same, when I saw that line-up. :)
    Reflectively that Mahrez could be a handful for Tierney. :(

21. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Looks like he could be Artrta's son. But Stuivenberg may be the oldest on the staff.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NICE confident passing play there. Never seemed an likely pen there. Corner.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New year, same VAR bullshit.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another great foray. Martinelli forces a save.

We've come out to PLAY. :D

25. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Oh, that Partey nutmeg