The Annual Sandon Mibut LOI Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by foosball, Feb 6, 2008.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about the rest of the recruiting class but Brett Uttley, two time HS all american from RI is going to Quinnipiac in the fall. Not a huge program but an up and coming program who had wins over BC and Central CT this past season

2. scotlndta

scotlndta New Member

Feb 4, 2005
  3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
  4. ussocrfan

ussocrfan New Member

May 2, 2005
    Being a nationally recognized school, in the Big Ten, in addition to having gone to the National Title Game this year, Ohio State has the luxury to recruit and attract some of the top players all over the country. Why should it matter if only 1 is from Ohio? Finding the best players and the right players for their program, regardless of what state they are from, should be the top priority as I am sure it is for Coach Bloom and his staff.

5. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    You won't see the benefits of Ohio State's run to the National Championship until next year since most recruits are already commited by the time December had rolled around. I think Coach Bluem gets a pass since he just graduated Balc, Brunner, and Latchem who were all Ohio guys and he did make the national championship.

6. daWIZARD

daWIZARD New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Cleveland
  7. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Coach Bloom? You mean Bluem, I hope...

The luxury of attracting some of the top players all over the country?

Not so much, I have never heard of any of these kids. And it is quite interesting that not one of these kids have their club team mentioned, only high school teams. Very odd.

A good amount of Illinois players have signed with D1 clubs thus far:

DePaul: 3
    Loyola: 3
    Ohio State: 3
    Cincinnati: 4
    Bradley: 3

I would expect more of the same from Northern Illinois and Illinois-Chicago, although Northwestern and Marquette who usually have solid roots in IL only got 1 each.

8. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Did a bit of research and here is what I found:

Breto - Clearwater Chargers (FL)
    Dickson - FC United (IL)
    Driggers - Javanon (KY)
    Schade - Cleveland Soccer Academy (OH)
    Schmidt - Sonoma County Alliance (CA)
    Shrigley - Eclipse (IL)
    Summers - Carmel (IN)
    Tiemstra - Eclipse (IL)

Thought it was an interesting collection of club teams, enjoy.

I think it is safe to say that the Final Four run will attract those top notch players someone alluded to, but I don't think these kids were effected by that as they were probably already committed before the NCAA tourney.

9. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    All the ohio players went to florida

10. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Ummm...seems to me they were a team largely comprised of Ohio players in the 1st place, none of whom were recruited when Ohio State was anything more than a decent Big 10 competitor and NCAA 1st or 2nd round team. If OSU could recruit them then, they should have had an easier time recruiting in-state quality during the intervening period. So, it's either a case of Ohio having no players worth recruiting, or the ones that were, opting for another school.

11. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    But they haven't recruited well in state, and Brunner went to Maryland before he went to OSU, just as Veris went to Akron.

Just to name a few off the top of my head, including 3 Ohio Players of the Year:

Morrow - Notre Dame
    Rice - Kentucky
    Blades - Northwestern - OPY
    Blevins - Indiana - OPY
    Sarkodie - Indiana
    Anaba - Cincinnati
    Mellencamp - Indiana
    Noschang - Indiana
    Weston - Indiana - OPY

Bleum has missed some big time names in Ohio soccer, and my point is that maybe some of those top notch players will begin to consider OSU due to the Final Four run.

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    "missed" as in "failed to recruit", or "missed" as in "failed to sign"?

13. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Either or, it does not matter. You would want the big name school to have the big name, in state players year in and year out.

But OSU has not gotten any of those big namers recently, and the ones who have had success at Ohio State either failed at a different university first or were not that big of recruits coming out of high school to begin with.

I don't know if he missed them in recruiting or in signing, but he missed them altogether by not having them on the roster.

14. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I'd think it would matter to the AD, among others with fiduciary responsibility (which should include Bluem). Those out-of-state players cost the program nearly twice the tuition of in-state players.

15. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
  16. GASoccer81

GASoccer81 Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Interesting, only 5 and no CASL players. is Elmar changing his ways or are the CASL kids getting smart

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just how exactly does this work?
    That's a helluva commute for practice from Charlotte to Boston.

Maybe he is using a relative's address in NC to get in-state tuition.;)

18. Beasley17

Beasley17 New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think that is where he was born....

19. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    well, most of the black Bostonians I grew up with had deep ties to NC and Coastal Virginia. UNC is seen as a hospitable for black college-bound students from the area especially athletes... a nationally respected degree, low tuition for those with NC relatives, generous grants for high achieving scholars, solid track record of pro sports alumni and a pro-diversity atmosphere relative to say, Duke or BC.

So Sheanon's choice is unsurprising to me, just like the LI wonder twin laxers (Brattons) choice of UVA over area powers like Syracuse, Princeton, Cornell etc.

20. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Anyone heard any (unofficial obvs, due to Ivy rules) news on Harvards incoming class?
    I'm curious to see how Jamie Clark impacts the program's yield of local and national talent and more importantly whether he can continue to get elite/Youth International players like Andre Akpan.

If I was Clark, I'd make a priority of locking up the keeper from Nobles (a national Top 20 recruit). Harvard needs an upgrade at that position badly anyway.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if I am not mistake a few years ago that kid Videara who went to Duke, lived in RI and played for FC Delco in PA. Not quite as far but I do remember reading about him and his commute to games etc..

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard from friends in RI that Harvard did recruit the player of the year in RI but he chose to go elsewhere

23. patomagic

patomagic New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    hows the big east looking for 2008, what teams should you look out for and which schools had the best recruiting class?