The Annual Sandon Mibut LOI Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by foosball, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Yep. The "two year professional contract" thing should set off a bunch of bells and whistles, as would the notion that he might also have been rostered on a team of professionals in the games mentioned.

2. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    If the games were friendlies, and there was "no charge" for watching, then he's OK. And maybe he was offered the contract, but did not sign it. Same thing happened to my son who also signed at UCSB. He went over to England, played in a "no-charge" friendly as he was trialing, was offered a contract, but did not sign. Then at another trial he was offered to play in a game where fans were being charged, but the FA said he could not play without a UK work permit, so he didn't, and I'm glad that God was watching his back on that one. Decided to go the college route as he could not get the work permit. Maybe this is the same as this Canadian player?

3. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Charge or no charge, if the event required a roster, and he was rostered with other paid professionals, it's a violation. There's no exemption for non-revenue events. Otherwise, there would be any number of "friendly" opportunities with professional reserve teams, many (if not most) of which do not charge for games - and that includes MLS.

4. ACCInsider

ACCInsider Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Ada, Michigan
    the canadian sounds like a pro.

5. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Loyola-Chicago
    http://loyolaramblers.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/022608aab.html
    Justin Koehler Defender/Midfielder - 5-10 Overland Park, Kan. (Rockhurst/Blue Valley Stars)
    Jordan Lewis Defender/Forward - 5-11 Chesterton, Ind. (Chesterton/NWI United)
    Tanner Nebbia Forward - 5-10 Overland Park, Kan. (Blue Valley West/Blue Valley Stars)
    Seth Stockley Defender/Midfielder - 5-8 Earlville, Ill. (Earlville-Leland/Chicago Fire Juniors Academy)
    Scott Waggoner Forward - 6-0 Waukee, Iowa (Dowling Catholic/CRSA)
    Erik Warren Defender - 6-4 Wheaton, Ill. (Benet Academy/Chicago Magic Academy)
    J.T. Wiebe Midfielder - 5-11 Wheaton, Ill. (Glenbard West/HUSA Eclipse)
    Alex Wynne Defender - 5-10 Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Xavier/CRSA)

Missouri State
    http://www.missouristatebears.com/V...9224&SPID=6478&DB_OEM_ID=13800&ATCLID=1398524
    Kory Dowell, St. Louis, Mo.
    David Buckenheimer, Beaver, Pa.
    Connor Sullivan, Mansfield, Texas
    Edin Sabic, Erie, Pa.
    Michael Lapira, Lake Charles, La.
    Anthony Cantele, Wichita, Kan.
    Heath Melugin, Springfield, Mo.
    Cameron Miller, Woodstock, Ga.
    Thomas Vania, Kennesaw, Ga.
    Jordan Hoffman, Chesterfield, Mo.
    Jordan Barnes, Florrisant, Mo.
    Gerard Barbero III, Marietta, Ga.
    Nikolas Markos, Hartland Wis.

UNC Wilmington
    http://www.uncwsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92870&SPID=11320&DB_OEM_ID=19800&ATCLID=1398038
    Matthew Brown F 6-0 172 Charlotte, N.C./Olympic
    Adam Cunningham MF 5-11 155 Jacksonville, N.C./Jacksonville
    Chris Davidson D 6-2 170 Sugar Land, Texas/Strake Jesuit
    Shawn Guderian * F 5-10 150 Wilmington, N.C./Ashley
    Brandon Miller GK 6-0 160 Charlotte, N.C./Charlotte Country Day

6. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    Anyone know the recruits for Florida schools? (FGCU, USF, FAU, Stetson, UT), specifically FGCU since I am going there. So far I know they have signed one player, Christian Radales from the Tampa area, played for Strictly Soccer out of St. Pete and was named to the All-American team, I was very excited by this for such a small school in only its second year of soccer to get a player named to the high school All-American team! I can't wait to watch him play!

7. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't announce all the things that make you think he's a pro in an official press release, unless they were sure that his amateur status is ok.

8. GauchoSoccerManiac

Sep 10, 2005
    Reid Fraser's eligibility status was the first thing that struck me. I hope he's been fully cleared by the NCAA.

9. g.jeff14

g.jeff14 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    not to pick on Elmar again

Every year I have been at UNC, we never know who is coming in.

Why does Elmar not send out a release seems like everyone does. Does it go back to him not knowing which players to run off to make room?

Just asking if anybody knows because the UNC players do not know.

10. sjquakesfan81

sjquakesfan81 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Clara University announced their eight-strong 2008 signing class today.

Here they are, with HS and home town. If you know anything about these guys, please feel free to post it here!

1. (MF) Chance Bennett (Branson School, Vallejo, CA)

2. (D/MF) Brian Brungger (Torrey Pines HS, San Diego CA)

3. (MF) Murphy Campbell (Federal Way Senior HS, Federal Way WA)

4. (D) Keith Cowdrey (DeMatha Catholic HS, Hyattsville MD)

5. (F/MF) Peter Fitschen (Villa Park HS, CA)

6. (GK)Robert Kempf (Shattuck-St. Marys HS, MN)

7. (?) Caleb McKee (Chaminade College Prep, St. Louis MO)

8. (F/MF) Conner Mitchell (Bend Senior HS, Bend OR)

http://santaclarabroncos.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/030608aaa.html

Although all I know about these guys is what I've gathered from the SCU mens soccer website (link above), it seems to be a strong class. Definately more out-of-state recruits than usual for Santa Clara.

11. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What happened to Mykell Bates? He verballed to SCU a few months ago.

12. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was about to ask the same thing, he must have got a professional offer, should be interesting to see if he goes into a lottery during the MLS season, although a lot of his U-17 teammates have gone overseas.

13. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC
    Fitschen is a strong forward who will make an immediate impact for SCU. Plays for Irvine Strikers. Good player. Nice family.

14. zhosereh

zhosereh New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    same thing with GK Larry Jackson, he was a verbal as well. :confused:

15. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will second Proud Mama's quotes on Fitschen. Mama correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he also on the Celtic team that won national Cup at U-14.

Keith Chowdrey is another excelent pick-up. He was playing rec level ball at U-13 when he was discovered by Devin Payton who put him on his DDP team in Maryland. He was very far behind the other boys but was a good athlete and very fast. He was put at defender because of his physical attributes and was beaten like a drum at first. He played futsal and worked hard to develop good skills. Mostly what impressed me was how smart he was. He very quickly learned the game and positioning. After a year of playing at a high level of travel he had picked up the nuances of positioning and the tactical acumen of the boys that had been playing since birth.
    I also think he is former Maryland player AJ Godbolt's cousin.

16. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC

17. sjquakesfan81

sjquakesfan81 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although a quick internet search yielded no results, I could have sworn that Mykell Bates graduated early from Roseville High, in December, and enrolled immediately at Santa Clara so that he could begin spring training with the Broncos.

I found numerous articles from 2007 indicating that he had signed with SCU, but I can't find the article indicating that he would be beginning early (and hence, why he was left off of SCU's 2008 commitment press release).

Can anyone else confirm this, or am I imagining things?

18. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
  19. GASoccer81

GASoccer81 Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Cunningham was an assistent at South Carolina which recruits heavily in Atlanta hence his connections with the Atlanta clubs, i don't know what the connection with FC Delco is. He obviously hasn't made much in-roads in Florida. You think he would try with the big difference between in state and out of state tuition in Florida

20. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Straight from his UFC bio:

"A native of Philadelphia,"

I would assume he either grew up playing for or against Delco, hence the connection...

21. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    The ass't coach is from Philadelphia and played for Delco.

22. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    No.

They are.

Central Florida. It is, but why would the locals want to play for a school where the football coach was a million dollar-plus guy with a phony resume, high coaching turnover, and woefully little committment to men's soccer?

23. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Why would out of state kids attend then? I am sure all of those kids are not walking on? Must have scholarships, commitment............Isn't FCU the same type of school as SFU and IFU in state?

24. ACCInsider

ACCInsider Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Ada, Michigan
    Cunningham was an assistent at South Carolina which recruits heavily in Atlanta hence his connections with the Atlanta clubs, i don't know what the connection with FC Delco is. He obviously hasn't made much in-roads in Florida. You think he would try with the big difference between in state and out of state tuition in Florida

Cunningham never recruited Ga when he was at USC to be honest his classes were awful there. He left to very untalented classes as his legacy at USC. His asst is a former FC Delco player which is the connect there.

25. g.jeff14

g.jeff14 New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Whats up with a florida school not recruiting their own players. We had 6 in the Fall at UNC and 5 were starters.