The "Annoying Commentators" Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Bianco Celeste, May 20, 2007.

1. futbolista918

futbolista918 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Fan:SerieA,ItalyUSNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Tommy Smyth gone? He's not great, but I am pining for him ever since hearing Lalas (and I noticed he is doing no games, while Derek Rae, Healy, etc are). Even Balboa is better than him!

2. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Tommy Symth was on the last Press Pass Show, ESPN is probably testing out some new combo as this is pre-session games played in the United States I would be very surprised if Tommy is not back commentating when the European leagues start up.

I don't recall Lalas commentating on any European games in the past for ESPN International and since there was no sign of them using him last session I would not think they would use him much this session if at all

3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Does Max Bretos and Christopher Sullivan gushing on Meixco count as annoying? I know Mexico was dominating, but guys, your audience is likely rooting for the US. Tone it down a bit.

4. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found their commentary on MEX's performance WAY over the top.

Do you think the Televisa or Univision guys would wax poetic like that if we thrashed MEX 5-nil??

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they weren't that over the top - they did a good job IMO trying to be impartial - more than I could say for the Univision crowd who I could HEAR THRU THE FSC FEED!!

Typically they were more excited for US shots/special plays than Mexico but they SHOULD call an asswhupping when they see an asswhupping

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy Smyth is involved with Copa NYC, so that might be why he's been absent.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been said before, but that Pablo guy on GolTV (currently doing the Arsenal v Atletico Madrid) might be the worst I've ever heard.

He actually believes the teams are playing the game so he can do his stupid goal call.

Unwatchable.

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not only that but did you see the number of times they got players' names wrong - including players in the La Liga side they broadcast every week

9. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    NE Revolution-LA Galaxy game right now on FSC

Apparently, according to the commentator, the Revs have a player called Sebastian Jankauskas. He must be the twin brother of the soccer player, Edgaras Jankauskas.

10. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesn't he kick for the Raiduhs?

11. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The pair commentating on the PDL Championship game broadcast on FSC tonight were utterly abysmal.

In fact the whole production was appalling - they continually misidentified players, called the names of players who weren't even on the field (!), mispronounced their names, the graphics on-screen spelled players names wrong, and they got basic factual errors wrong, like how many subs are allowed in a PDL game, where players played college, and more besides.

Horrible, just horrible.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Argh! How bad was Phil Hughes today during the Scotland-FYR Macedonia match?

First he thought Scotland still had 4 WC qualifying matches remaining so they could afford to lose today. Then he argued that Scotland only need 4 points this week in their 2 matches to clinch second. Then he said, 3 points for Scotland in their final 2 games would eliminate Norway. Then he referred to Scotland as "Rangers".

Somebody throw this guy a bone.

13. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers? That has to take the cake!

14. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is incomprehensible.
    Where do they find these clowns??

15. Javier Ramirez

Javier Ramirez New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Daniel Arreola isn't so bad either on the English SAP channel

16. Javier Ramirez

Oct 14, 2008
    Daniel Arreola on the English SAP isn't so bad either.

17. Javier Ramirez

Oct 14, 2008
    I believe that was Danny Lee. I'm sure he was assigned that game because Daniel Arreola was on vacation.

18. i1055

i1055 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    15Sep09 Watching Besiktas v Manu on FSN, the "european-based" announcer is revealing goals from other matches as they happen.

Does this annoy the hell out of anyone else?

19. davidreid96

davidreid96 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Charlotte
    Oh man that Tim White guy made the Besiktas Man U game unlistenable last night. His 'Ber-baah-tof', 'Ciska Mokbar' (CSKA Moscow) and 'FC Sooreek' stuff was embarrassing. As was the half time 5 minute shot of the stadium and no-one talking.
    On top of that, don't go telling us that there is 'activity below us on the bench' when we know you are in a studio somewhere in LA or wherever and no where near Turkey.
    Really poor effort from FOX. Bring back Derk Rae and the Irish twit!!

20. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I think in the US you have a very sweet deal right now getting loads more games live than last session so I would not be complaining I still had that Irish twit Tommy Symth on my local ESPN station this morning he was calling Besiktas Man U game with Ross Dyer. No signs of Derek Rae which is a little disappointing although I can not complain Ross Dyer is a worthy replacement

21. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I wonder how many times it has to be said that Fox Sports is using the European commentary feed for its CL coverage until people actually start to grasp it. (And while yes, he's in a studio somewhere, I'm pretty sure the commentators get the "production-truck view" of the game to some extent -- i.e., they're privy to multiple camera feeds.)

But you're otherwise right: That guy did a pretty bad job. I actually turned off the match midway through the first half (a rarity for me; I'll watch anything to the finish once I've started) because the presentation was so bad -- namely the stadium sound buried in the mix to the point of nothing. It's a match in TURKEY, for heaven's sake. The crowd atmosphere is half the appeal.

22. i1055

i1055 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    16sep09

Watching Liv v Deb on FSC, Tim White is the announcer, and again he is giving out "updates" on other matches.

I WAS planning on watching Standard v Arsenal later on FSC but now there is no need as Tim White is spoiling the match by announcing all the goals as they happen.

Tim White, if you read this, please stop giving updates from matches you are not covering.

23. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL the Arsenal announcer (on FSC) wasn't much better in terms of presentation. Two times he announced the wrong score and had to correct himself. Not sure how you do that twice!

I wonder if he's the same guy that was saying the Fiorentina v Panathinaikos match was going into extra time - until apparently someone told him that away goals tiebreaker is applied after FT not ET.

24. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    What is the guys name who is doing the AEK-Everton game?? He also does Gol TV news and La Liga 360 this year. Two problems with him:
    #1)If you are broadcasting in english, don't say gooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllll!!!!!!!
    #2) Take a breath and slow down and quit chaging your cadence throughout a sentence. It is annoying as hell.

And is the Champions League problem of sharing scores only being done by this Tim White guy??? I haven't really noticed it with any other announcers. I had to watch the last 80 minutes of the Liverpool game yesterday with no sound on so I could enjoy the other games later in the night.

25. i1055

i1055 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Not sure the guys name doing the AEK v Everton match, but I agree.

So far Tim White is the only one providing results from other matches, I have watched most of the others from Fox and he is the only one.