The Almighty Sergio Ramos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by -Fifth CharM-, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoanaidarov

yoanaidarov Member+

Real Madrid
    Bulgaria
    Sep 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Yup, I’d still rest him against Mallorca, even if he isn’t injured. Militao and Varane should be able to handle Mallorca. Ramos can’t play ever single minute until the end of the season.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  2. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    What are we waiting for regarding his contract renewal?

His current deal ends in 2021 if I'm not mistaken. Time to wrap this up. This man has to retire with us.

Give him his 3 years. He can probably easily start for the next 2 seasons and phase him out in the third year.

His influence on and off the pitch in terms of leadership is too great. Can't lose this guy arguing about an extra of contract (if that's the problem).

What do you guys think?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He won't leave and nobody is overreacting by signing a contract at a time where every club has less money to spend. I think even Ramos himself will be careful about agreeing to a one deal at a time where the market will be pretty dry.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ramos is underrated as hell.

I don't think people outside of Madrid have ever had him as the best clear CB in the world at any point. There has always been a Van Dyke or Hummels or Kompany that get more love for some reason

You will also not find many people who will consider him the best ever or even among top 5.

As far as that conversation goes, I think Maldini is clearly the best defender of all time. But I'd rather have Sergio on my team. He is just so valuable in every level. Leadership, clutchness, toughness, goal scoring.

The guy is just an all time great footballer and doesn't get enough credit. But that's a Madrid thing. Ramos, Pepee, Varane have been the best CBs of this past decade yet we hear about all these other clowns more. Our midfielders and attackers get love, but our defense has always been underrated

girrdib, Lyra, RMrules and 3 others repped this.
  5. RMrules

RMrules Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 12, 2019
    I think the reason Ramos and Pepe didnt get the respect that they deserve are the red cards.Because of the red cards many people view Ramos/Pepe as dirthy thugs who dont belong among the greatest defenders .........

Ramos/Pepe are just as good as Nesta,Baresi etc imo but they have bad reputation

Excape Goat repped this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid

3 goals in the last 4 games, along with great performances. How lucky are we to have him as captain?

I also can't believe how well he is playing at 34. It's gonna be interesting to see if he renews for more than 1 year and possibly retires here. He and Cristiano both deserved that tbh.

girrdib, Lyra, hala_madrid722 and 2 others repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Will be a sad day. Massively.

When he loses it or retires.

girrdib, Digital, J-Mezzy and 1 other person repped this.
  8. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Ramos should only leave after he gets at least 3 more Liga titles.

Excape Goat and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  9. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact he’s still reasonably the best centerback in the world at his age is beyond legendary

girrdib, Ahmadi8, Digital and 2 others repped this.
  10. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think he will lose it. I think he will retire on top of his game like the boss that he is

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  11. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I just hope he and the club deal with his renewal in a good manner. Don't want to see the guy leaving as Iker did.

12. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think he has a different temper than Iker, who for all of the legend that he is at this club, was not a good captain and a bit of egoist.

girrdib, Zidane05, YOUNGSTARS87 and 4 others repped this.
  13. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Iker is a politician

Ramos is a WARRIOR

14. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You fogot about the Champions' League.

J-Mezzy, yoanaidarov, RMrules and 2 others repped this.
  16. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    1278810109532155904 is not a valid tweet id

17. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That Griezmann comparison is so stupid and yet so funny :D.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't want to take anything away from Sergio Ramos. I do believe that he is probably a better player than Hierro. But Hierro's scoring numbers are actually much better than Ramos.

From wikipedia:

Hierro: 439 goals 102 goals. Spain 89 games 29 goals.
    Ramos: 450 games 68 goals for Real Madrid. Spain 170 caps 21 goals.

Hierro has three CL titles while Ramos has four.

Then, Hierro was the penalty-kicker as well as taking a lot of freekicks for Real Madrid (I am not 100% sure about that since I was not a fan and/or I had no access on Real Madrid's games during most of his prime). In 1998, I watched Real Madrid for the first time in Santiago Bernabeu. Hierro scored a double.... a freekick and a penalty. That influenced my opinion of Hierro. Hierro was also the all-time leading scorer for Spain until Raul broke it.

Meanwhile, Ramos got his penalties after Ronaldo left the club. His numbers probably would be much closer to Hierro if he took all the penalties. But then, Ramos scored that historical goal against Atletico Madrid in the CL Final. It was a derby at the biggest stage with no time left on the clock. I also believe that an equalising goal meant more than a winning goal since we were all down and out at the moment of impact. That would be an everlasting image in the history of the club. For the next 50 to 100 years, that goal would replay every time Real Madrid reaches the Final of the CL. Let's say Ronaldo, Raul, Puskas or Di Stefano never had that moment. I doubt that it would repeat again in my lifetime.

So it is hard for me to say that Hierro is a better offensive defender than Sergio Ramos, but you can't ignore things about Hierro. When Hierro won his first CL title, Real Madrid's drought was over 30 years. The footage of the previous title was in black and white. We were a club from the past. As of 2020, we actually won more titles in the CL era than any other club. I guessed that the club is blessed to have both players.

19. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ramos scored 10 goals in all competitions for RM in 2016-17 when Ron was taking penalties. Ramos easily the best scoring CB in modern era imo. Hierro has 35 penalty goals and Koeman has 96 in all competitions.

Excape Goat, Zidane05 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Remember Hierro played as midfielder for a good part of his career as well.

21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wanna win the double just so this man can be the Ballon D'Or

Digital, Açores57 and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  22. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    He has fantastic penalty technique too.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Dream scenario

24. Jonah_98

Jonah_98 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    To be honest I don't care that much about the CL this year. With us winning it 4 times in 5 years while having a bad record in the league, my absolute priority is to win La Liga this year. A Balon D'or for Ramos would be well deserved, but I think it is not very realistic, not even if win win the double.

25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not gonna lie, i'm still kind of afraid when he lines up, but i think that's mostly because we'd have Ronaldo taking them for so many years, that got me accustomed to just laying back and relaxing whenever he would take one, it takes getting used to, to see a regular human being take them again.